Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,315 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. One of my boys Bug was in the hospital for 5days with acute kidney failure.I was so scared we were going to lose him. But our fabulous vet and his staff pulled him through. He came home yesterday and his brother and twin who was looking for him has been hissing, growling and swiping at him. I am going to try the towel swap and hopefully in the next few days Beetle and Bug will be back to their inseperable ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,549,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post
My two male (neutered) cats were BEST FRIENDS, and super friendly and tame. But yesterday we had to take one of them to the vet...

When we brought vet-cat home, house-cat started hissing/growling at him.

I tried encouraging vet-cat to clean himself, so maybe he'd end up cleaning off the unfamiliar smell and house-cat would recognize him again, but that didn't work.

Then I tried rubbing a paper towel on the gums of house-cat, and then rubbing that paper towel on vet-cat, but that didn't work either.

So we separated them overnight (we kept one in the bedroom, and one in the living room, but they could still smell each other/interact under the door). Today I re-introduced them, and house-cat is STILL being aggressive: he's following vet-cat, and growling/hissing at him, almost antagonizing him.

And even worse: house-cat is starting to hiss/growl/snap at ME... and he's NEVER done that before. I'm afraid to go near him.

Any suggestions of how we can get these two cats to get along again??
The other cat smells like a bad place, the vet. There may also be some territorial issues going on here. Separate the cats, and don't force interaction. Make sure they don't have to get into each other's face for anything; have separate food and water bowls, litter boxes, cat trees, and cat toys for them. They'll interact with one another when, and if, they get ready.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...your-household

I see I'm late, and this issue has probably already been resolved.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
I recently moved 3weeks ago and then yesterday my cat blaze got really hurt, and had to go to the vet and stay overnight , now he has a cone , and he's hurt up real bad with some stitches. & my other kitty Boo which are best friends is being so nasty to my kitty blaze (the hurt one) he has a lot of stitches and its making me really upset that Boo is acting so nasty towards Mt cat. My dog how ever keeps going up to my hurt kitty and laying down towards him and my cat keeps kissing him. Is it because he knows he's hurt and wants comfort? Because he's not getting it from his buddy. My cat Boo is even being nasty to me, hissing , swatting , growling ..its stressing me out and it hasn't even been 24hrs. I have one kitty in my bedroom and the other in a spare room while I'm not home. While I am home I have All 3of my animals in the same room. So the smell is there and they understand its all okay. I just need a little advice. How long will this take. What if it doesn't change??

Old 05-10-2015, 08:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,238,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria1991 View Post
I recently moved 3weeks ago and then yesterday my cat blaze got really hurt, and had to go to the vet and stay overnight , now he has a cone , and he's hurt up real bad with some stitches. & my other kitty Boo which are best friends is being so nasty to my kitty blaze (the hurt one) he has a lot of stitches and its making me really upset that Boo is acting so nasty towards Mt cat. My dog how ever keeps going up to my hurt kitty and laying down towards him and my cat keeps kissing him. Is it because he knows he's hurt and wants comfort? Because he's not getting it from his buddy. My cat Boo is even being nasty to me, hissing , swatting , growling ..its stressing me out and it hasn't even been 24hrs. I have one kitty in my bedroom and the other in a spare room while I'm not home. While I am home I have All 3of my animals in the same room. So the smell is there and they understand its all okay. I just need a little advice. How long will this take. What if it doesn't change??
What you're going through is pretty normal. Your kitty Boo is not feeling well, and would probably be more comfortable not being bothered by you, or the dog, so he his hissing at you & telling to give him some space. Most cats will seek seclusion when sick or injured, so he will need some time to heal and get back to normal. How long that will take could depend the severity of his injuries & how long the healing process goes on. But I would think after 2 or 3 days you would see some improvement. As always you should watch for infection if Boo had surgery or stiches, etc.
As for your other kitty hissing at Boo... again a normal reaction, most likely due to the lingering smell of the vet's office still with Boo. Things should improve between them as it wears off.
Just let them have their space & give it time.... and try not to worry.

Last edited by catdad7x; 05-10-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
The same thing is happening to my two fur babies, one of them got sick, took him to the vet and house cat is hissing at vet cat. However I'm worried it could be vet cat isn't acting normally. Vet cat was diagnosed with vestibular disease. And house cat may not recognize him not only because of the vet smell but the akward behavior from being sick. Help!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times
Communication in the form of hissing doesn't always mean "I hate you! Go away or I'll tear you to shreds!" Many times all it means is that the hisser is receiving mixed signals and doesn't quite know how to compute them. The house cat may see the vet cat and recognize the visual, but the smell doesn't match up with what the house cat knows. Confusion.

Cats returning from a vet visit have all kinds of foreign smells on them from being handled, being around other animals, and from being in a place that smells of scary things that other cats remember. As well, vet cats can also smell of any kind of medicine they've been given, for example a general antibiotic that spreads throughout the body that gives off an odor undetectable to humans, but very detectable to cats with their great noses. A human experience -- if you've ever walked near a person who eats a lot of garlic, his/her body emits that odor like s/he is a walking garlic clove. Same idea with meds, and not just odors that are emitted from the body, but also from the breath.

All should return to normal (whatever normal is) between a house cat and a vet cat in a very short time. However, if the hissing continues for days, that could indicate something is not right, and that's when you might want to consider a recheck at the vet.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,882 times
This thread has been very helpful....my male kitty (10 months) was neutered today and when we brought him home my female (3 yrs) immediately started hissing, following and guarding where he could go and slapping him in the face. ......just a several hours before they were inseparable in fact my female looked and cried for him the whole time he was gone. My male cat who never had an ounce fear is now nervous and keeps trying to get comfort from my female...it's so sad! Now he will not leave my side...he always has been my shadow but now it seems to be from fear. I hope this doesn't last past tonight...we have them separated for the night! Fingers crossed.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times
Heartbreaking to see I know. But I think it's more confusion than fear for your boy. And confusion as well with your female -- remember, he smells terrible to her because the boy she knew has all kinds of foreign smells on him. If he's still coming out of grogginess, that's also a bunch of bizarre signals he's giving off - he's probably not quite himself which he knows and she knows.

Just smother both of them with love and comfort. I'd supervise their initial togetherness, but I'd let them re-find their obvious bond.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:41 AM

3,950 posts, read 4,186,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Heartbreaking to see I know. But I think it's more confusion than fear for your boy. And confusion as well with your female -- remember, he smells terrible to her because the boy she knew has all kinds of foreign smells on him. If he's still coming out of grogginess, that's also a bunch of bizarre signals he's giving off - he's probably not quite himself which he knows and she knows.

Just smother both of them with love and comfort. I'd supervise their initial togetherness, but I'd let them re-find their obvious bond.
Agree. I have had brothers and sisters who spent 24 hours/day snuggled together suddenly start hissing and swatting when one of them comes home from the vet. If I think the vet-cat is too vulnerable, I will separate them until things calm down. I have never had the situation NOT calm down. We just have to let the kitties sort things out, as distressing as it is to see "best buddies" acting like "worst enemies".

Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,475 times
My cat Brian went to the vets on Monday and after is neutering he came home and al hell broke loose my other kitten quinine started hissing and spitting at him. But brian thinks its a game so hes attacking her and annyoying her to the point where she sqeauls and grows she went for me today and now I'm getting worried I'm kinda upset ! what do I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats