Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times

Advertisements

Haha! Actually the cats are lucky, I quit my day job and work solely from home these days so no need to steal my socks now

I loooove the image of your dog helping you take your socks off - think I can teach my sock fetish cat that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
I've read that cats have a hierarchy and their owner sits at the top. When they catch something they will show you because they want recognition, but also because we sit above them, we get first choice as to whether we want to eat the prey.

If they see socks as prey, then that may be one reason why they bring them to you.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Haha! Actually the cats are lucky, I quit my day job and work solely from home these days so no need to steal my socks now

I loooove the image of your dog helping you take your socks off - think I can teach my sock fetish cat that?
Ummm..... that's exactly your problem.... YOU RARELY LEAVE THE HOUSE! You still have to leave the house for grocery shopping, social life, etc. Right?

I quit my job and moved my dementia mother in with me. I was her 24/7 caretaker. I ONLY LEFT THE HOUSE
every other month to go stockpiling grocery shopping. I would have to get a sitter for my dementia mother. I could leave the house, spend $1000 in 4 hrs and NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE again for 2 months.

That is exactly what started the whole problem. She was doing this wayyyyyy back then!!!! Mother has since died (2008)...... I've gone back to a more traditional lifestyle of leaving the house 5 days a week....

and the Separation Anxiety Disorder is still an issue. But the dog is getting used to it, but the routine of "chewing me a new #$#W is still there. LOLOL

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I've read that cats have a hierarchy and their owner sits at the top. When they catch something they will show you because they want recognition, but also because we sit above them, we get first choice as to whether we want to eat the prey.

If they see socks as prey, then that may be one reason why they bring them to you.
That would make a lot of sense actually. He is #3 or #4 in our cat social hierarchy and is quite the submissive when it comes to giving his adopted brother (#2) and sister (#1) a tongue bath. He's such a good brother.

But it wouldn't explain why he does this at night after I have gone to bed as well (granted, he does it mostly when I am still up in the living room) or when I was out of town. The plot thickens!

The thing that kind of baffles me is why he doesn't do this with toys. You'd think if it were a prey thing, he'd pick the more prey-like stuff in our house like fake mice over socks!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
I'm taking YOUR socks.... this isn't about mice and prey.... this is ABOUT YOU!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
That would make a lot of sense actually. He is #3 or #4 in our cat social hierarchy and is quite the submissive when it comes to giving his adopted brother (#2) and sister (#1) a tongue bath. He's such a good brother.

But it wouldn't explain why he does this at night after I have gone to bed as well (granted, he does it mostly when I am still up in the living room) or when I was out of town. The plot thickens!

The thing that kind of baffles me is why he doesn't do this with toys. You'd think if it were a prey thing, he'd pick the more prey-like stuff in our house like fake mice over socks!
When it comes to what a cat does...there is no "why". A cat does what he does because he wants to do it.

I have one who puts all her 'prey' under my desk. A few select items every time, but there are also sometimes random items. Screw driver, vacuum attachments, rain coat.....

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,196 times
So funny.... my 9 yr old cat just started doing this with only my 9 years old son's socks and makes this crazy wierd meow with it until we look at him and say something. He's been fixed for 8.5 years and (by vet mistake..THAT'S ANOTHER STORY) declawed, so he's always been in doors well lately he's been getting out and now he plays this sock game in the late evening and middle of the night. I liked what that guy at the begining said...its a hunting thing. That makes alot of sense. Thanks for that I almost paid an online vet to give me an answer, you saved me money.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
Joe brings his toys to bed. I often wake up with several of them strewn around me in the morning. I learned early on to get him only soft toys or I'd wake up sore!

Joe also hides his toys, under throw rugs, my pillow and if he has palm fronds, their all time favorite toy, he puts it between the back and seat of my office chair, 'surprise! mom!!' LOL

Orion also likes things in odd places - he puts things in the water bowl then fishes them out. Pieces of paper, any small object he finds, plop! in it goes. When he was a kitten he was always putting one of his sponge balls in the water dish, it got to the point I had to wash it because it stunk. I solved the problem by putting an aerator in the dish, he likes the 'fountain' effect. He also scoops his food out of the dish and puts it on the counter.

We once had a cat that put things in our shoes, once she put a mouse in my father's shoe. He was not happy when he went to put on his shoe! LOLOL He was a fastidious man and oh my! was he ever upset!!

This is a great thread, I have so many memories of cats doing silly things, dragging Army boots four times their size, stealing my bracelet and matches and leaving in my bed...it's lovely to think about those beloved kitties =)

Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I think it's one of the most delightful things about cats. They do weird things. I'm always too amused to try and figure out why...

Nimbus once dragged every sock out of my son's sock drawer, pulled them apart (I do that thing of folding the cuff around both socks to hold the pair together...yeah, he undid all of that)...and piled them in a neat pile in the middle of the basement floor.

Before I got rid of the houseplants (Pothos, found out they could be dangerous to the cat) he would pull the leaves off, take them to one particular spot on the ledge above my coat closet, and make a pile of them. He didn't try and chew or eat them, just wanted to have them all tidy in one place. It was like he was making a nest.

He's a little weirdo.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
My parents ragdoll will take their socks, underwear, etc out of the hamper in their bedroom, drag them downstairs into "his" shelf in the bathroom.

He has no problem doing it when people are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats