Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:34 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Thank you gigimac and everyone that stayed on topic, I apprereciate the ideas. I have tried the newspaper in the past and I will try it again. I will probably end up getting a small litterbox and putting it in the closet and then moving it hopefully she will make a change soon.
I watched a couple of episodes of my cat from hell and I am trying some of the tips. I just wish she could talk and tell me exactly why she is doing it.
There is a good chance she has a urinary tract infection brought on by the various stresses. Constant pain from the amputations and the resultant crippling of her gait and ability to stretch, the move, the other cats.

She needs to be brought to the vet and have a urine sample taken. Please NOT the vet who mutilated her.

Giving her a litter box in the closet is the least you can do for her now. She feels safe in there. Give her a box with some kind of soft litter, or even lined with puppy pads, and leave it in there for her, forever.

Give her a safe spot where she can perch away from the other cats.

Give her a full body massage every day, encouraging her to stretch her body to it's fullest as you massage, to help her keep her muscles stretched and toned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Giving her a litter box in the closet is the least you can do for her now. She feels safe in there. Give her a box with some kind of soft litter, or even lined with puppy pads, and leave it in there for her, forever.

Give her a safe spot where she can perch away from the other cats.

Give her a full body massage every day, encouraging her to stretch her body to it's fullest as you massage, to help her keep her muscles stretched and toned.
Puppy pads! That is a perfect idea, Catsmom, some of them are even scented to make it more appealing for animals to go on !

The other 2 ideas here are excellent as well...my elderly cat is a great jumper, while my younger male is not, so I make sure she has an "out" in every room in order to get away from him if she's not in the mood for his attention. She also enjoys a good massage, but reiki is her favorite .

Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Puppy pads! That is a perfect idea, Catsmom, some of them are even scented to make it more appealing for animals to go on !

The other 2 ideas here are excellent as well...my elderly cat is a great jumper, while my younger male is not, so I make sure she has an "out" in every room in order to get away from him if she's not in the mood for his attention. She also enjoys a good massage, but reiki is her favorite .
Thanks I'm not sure what size puppy pads come in, but buying the largest size, they could be cut to fit a small litter box, changed once a day, with only once cat using that box.

I massaged my little senior girlie every day, her arthritis was so bad in her last year or so, and she had a very gassy belly, and she loved it. She also received Reiki, and it helped her arthritis pain tremendously.

The cat in question here could certainly benefit from Reiki, too.

I just looked up puppy pads. here's a box of 150 pads sized 22x23 inches. $28.99. Even if you used one a day, that's still only about $70 a year. That's pretty cheap! I spend $168 a year in cat litter for three cats.

Amazon.com: Wee-Wee Housebreaking Pads for Dogs, 150-Pack: Pet Supplies

PS question for the OP, how many litter boxes do you have around the house for three cats?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Shadow had the feline equal to "cat scratch fever" (I forget the actual name for it), I had been using the cheap flea drops (she had been on frontline and because of money I had to cut down on costs). My vet at the time said basically she had to be declawed because of the "what if she scratches," I am against de clawing unless it is the last resort, and yes the not using the box started after the declawing.
I have tried every sort of litter - clumping, newspapers, and various different brands.
Are those new brothers of hers declawed?? She is reacting to too many changes. She needs an isolated area that is off limits to the other two cats....it can take months to adjust. You'll have to find another spot in the bedroom for the litter box...you will need to prevent the males from getting into the room w/ her..she obviously doesn't like them. Good luck

Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
I agree. For now she keeps to herself under the bed. I make sure she has food / water under the bed, and I've been trying to keep her in the living room for a bit to get used to the changes. For now I agree too many things have changed all at once so I'm giving her adjustment time.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
Cats mom. Thank you that's a great idea. Currently we have 2 cats and 2 litterboxes, once I add the pads or another box that'll be the 3rd (I know technically it's supposed to be 3 for the 2 cats).

Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
When I move to new places I like to get the pheromone diffusers, if it is not medical, these will help a bit with the stress. Amazon.com: Farnam Comfort Zone Plug-In Diffuser with Feliway, 48 Milliliters: Pet Supplies

I second the Odo-Ban, but if you cannot get it, I have had some success with baking soda, vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide. I cannot find the place I originally found the concoction I used. But this seems to be similar. suustainable: DIY cat pee remover

Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
APANDA, I can't help but wonder if that diffuser would help us HUMANS!!!??? Smile. GG

Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Poor little toeless Shadow....guess she just doesn't WANT to share her litter box with a tom....being a cripple with so many other cats that aren't could be part to blame....I think catsmom21 has some good ideas...hopefully they'll work for you...and her.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The cat in question here could certainly benefit from Reiki, too.
I quite agree...I think every creature on this planet (including humans) would benefit from reiki !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats