Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

The short of it: shop around. Shop around a lot.

I know we had a new hyperthyroid thread recently. As always I have noted the special plan at a local grocery chain that happens to include methimazole. Well, I got it refilled yesterday, and they informed me it is no longer under this plan. She points out that they matched Costco's price, which takes it from $10 for 90 pills up to $13.50. Eh, I can deal with that. But the kicker is, I asked what the price would have been without the match. She points out on the slip, and it says... $1700.99. No, that is not a typo, it literally shows seventeen hundred dollars!!! This is insane. I know it can't be right. That is nearly $19 PER PILL. Not 19 cents, 19 dollars. WTF. For 5mg methimazole. No effing way. So while it's nice that they gave me the $13.30, I'm rather annoyed at them for pulling that BS and I'm inclined to get a new script and fill it somewhere else next time. (I'll write and give them a chance to explain themselves; each batch of 90 pills is a 60-day supply. Maybe it's really supposed to say 17.99 which would be a reasonable price. But it's in the computer. And the clerk didn't seem to think it was wacko at all.)

So what should it cost? Apparently at Costco it would be $13.50 or just 15 cents each. I found this place online where it's just over 15 cents: Methimazole 5 mg, 100 Tablets | VetDepot.com 800-Pet-Meds is 44 cents, a significant difference. I haven't called anywhere else yet, but I'd like to think the reality is closer to 15 cents. If you need to give this to your cat, it definitely seems like it could pay to shop around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 16,121 times
I know this was posted a few days ago, but I am a certified pharmacy tech and there is no way that Methimazole costs that much. If I remember correctly (we don't use it often) the cash price with no discount of any kind was no more than about $15-20 if that. If a medication costed that much these stores would not even offer them on any type of discount plan-all the drugs that are on these plans are because the store acquires these medications at a very low price from their wholesaler and are able to lower the cost to customers through discount plans and still make a profit. Also those prices on the receipts that show what it would have been without insurance/discount are always way off. It is usually just the way it is put into the pharmacy system and I have questioned it myself but never got an answer as to why the prices show so erroneously. Just a little input for you.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM

I was 99.9% sure of that but I do appreciate your reply given your direct experience as a pharmacy tech. Only a rarified few new meds would cost $19 or more per pill. I know they exist, but this is not a new med, it's a total generic at this point!

Mainly I wanted to point this out to others to suggest it's worth shopping around, as even just a couple different prices I found online from pet pharmacies varied widely. No need to go to a special pet pharmacy for this one; it's used in humans and any pharmacy will fill it. They might forget and ask you the human questions about it, but that's okay.

Gonna be voting with my feet methinks, to some other pharmacy, maybe I can find an independent one that's not too inconvenient (there aren't many I can think of around the areas I mostly shop in; my vet is a small solo cat-only practice and he doesn't dispense his own meds). Might be walking away on two things soon, now my bank has done something wacky as well, sheesh....

Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
It has to have been a mistake. Look at these prices:

Methimazole Tablet Pharmacy Prices and Coupons - GoodRx

This drug didn't work for me, I had to have the RAI. Maybe it works better in cats?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The short of it: shop around. Shop around a lot.

I know we had a new hyperthyroid thread recently. As always I have noted the special plan at a local grocery chain that happens to include methimazole. Well, I got it refilled yesterday, and they informed me it is no longer under this plan. She points out that they matched Costco's price, which takes it from $10 for 90 pills up to $13.50. Eh, I can deal with that. But the kicker is, I asked what the price would have been without the match. She points out on the slip, and it says... $1700.99. No, that is not a typo, it literally shows seventeen hundred dollars!!! This is insane. I know it can't be right. That is nearly $19 PER PILL. Not 19 cents, 19 dollars. WTF. For 5mg methimazole. No effing way. So while it's nice that they gave me the $13.30, I'm rather annoyed at them for pulling that BS and I'm inclined to get a new script and fill it somewhere else next time. (I'll write and give them a chance to explain themselves; each batch of 90 pills is a 60-day supply. Maybe it's really supposed to say 17.99 which would be a reasonable price. But it's in the computer. And the clerk didn't seem to think it was wacko at all.)

So what should it cost? Apparently at Costco it would be $13.50 or just 15 cents each. I found this place online where it's just over 15 cents: Methimazole 5 mg, 100 Tablets | VetDepot.com 800-Pet-Meds is 44 cents, a significant difference. I haven't called anywhere else yet, but I'd like to think the reality is closer to 15 cents. If you need to give this to your cat, it definitely seems like it could pay to shop around.
If it were my cat, I would try Homeopathic Hyperthyroid pills crushed between two spoons and given on an empty stomach. You might even find the thyroid starts working again normally after a few weeks. You'll love not only the possible effectiveness but also the inexpensive price of the medicines. Homeopathics either work like a charm or do nothing. So you might even do it along with what you are doing now with a view to phasing out the drugs.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I used to get mine at Pet Health Compounding Pharmacy/Women's International Pharmacy in Arizona (they do humans and pets). We lived close to it, but they ship, they're cheap and they give excellent service. A reputable company.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 8,767 times
I purchased this med today from walmart. 90 pills 10mg went from $60.00 to $120.84 in three weeks time. time to go to Canada for this prescription.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
My girl was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid. I'm thinking (even more now, after seeing the pricing) of doing the diet change rather than the pill. Does anyone know, roughly, which has better value?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM

Definitely shop around. I don't know what stores you have close to you, but Target for one has a decent price on methimazole 5mg. It costs about $20 for 90 tablets. If you have Costco it should be in the vicinity of that $13.50 for 90 tablets. Check with them if there's one nearby because I believe in some cases you don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy.

The whole idea that you can somehow feed your way out of hyperthyroid is quite suspect. I believe that Hill's has severely overstepped in this case. It's definitely not something I would risk. If you don't get the thyroid levels under control quickly your kitty will lose a lot of weight far too quickly, and it can be hard for her to gain it back and could lead to other issues. I think you'll be far better off being able to choose other foods and using the medication, assuming she tolerates it okay.

My cat was diagnosed at age 12 or 13, can't remember, so it's been 3-4 years now on the methimazole and she's doing, well, mostly fine although I'm having trouble giving the pills with pill pockets at the moment. There was a change in pill manufacturer and I think that set it off. If I had it to do over again, though, even at this age, I think I would much more strongly consider the expensive radioiodine treatment. It doesn't really take that many years for the cost of the pills and related materials to catch up and exceed the cost of the one-time radioiodine. While on the methimazole she'll need to have at least twice yearly vet visits with lab work to make sure the levels are in good shape.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
My girl was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid. I'm thinking (even more now, after seeing the pricing) of doing the diet change rather than the pill. Does anyone know, roughly, which has better value?

After talking to doctors for 7 years, i have to advise against it. I recommend a second and maybe a third opinion. There's no scientific data to suggest that a specific (even gluten free) diets prevent the release of excess hormones. Especially if she's young i'd recommend the medication, interfering with her endocrine system at a young age or not allowing it to do it's job with the medication can affect development. If the excess hormones aren't treated it WILL cause long term damage (heart, liver), not to mention diminished quality of life speaking from personal experience. My doctors recommended (and they probably will for you too) surgery. I used to say "i have to take pills forever anyway, so why not keep my organs", but the medication has bad long term effects as well, mainly liver damage. Think about the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats