Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

That mouse carcass Kitty presents you with is just the tip of a very bloody iceberg. When researchers attached kittycams to house cats, they found a secret world of slaughter.

While only 30% of roaming house cats kill prey — two animals a week on average — they are still slaying more wildlife than previously believed, according to research from the University of Georgia.

House cats kill more critters than thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
and everyone on this board worries, frets, and doesnt sleep over what to feed their cats.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
John, this is nothing new. Anyone who observes the neighborhood cats can tell you how destructive they are to wildlife. And our USA wildlife has no evolutionary experience with house cats, making them very vulnerable. Those who believe cats must roam even if they're destructive don't seem to care. Never mind the dangers to the cats themselves.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and everyone on this board worries, frets, and doesnt sleep over what to feed their cats.
Those who worry about what to feed their cats and the lack of quality cat foods out there are not the ones allowing their cats to roam all over the place.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
John, this is nothing new. Anyone who observes the neighborhood cats can tell you how destructive they are to wildlife. And our USA wildlife has no evolutionary experience with house cats, making them very vulnerable. Those who believe cats must roam even if they're destructive don't seem to care. Never mind the dangers to the cats themselves.
From what I remember from living in England when I was a child, it was VERY common for people to let their cats roam outdoors. Some towns had rules about cats wearing bells on their collars because they killed so many birds.

My cats are strictly indoor only, mostly for their sakes (I want them to live long and happy lives!), but the idea of having my 1-acre back yard full of dead birds is pretty revolting.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
From what I remember from living in England when I was a child, it was VERY common for people to let their cats roam outdoors. Some towns had rules about cats wearing bells on their collars because they killed so many birds.

My cats are strictly indoor only, mostly for their sakes (I want them to live long and happy lives!), but the idea of having my 1-acre back yard full of dead birds is pretty revolting.
I feel exactly as you do. My three are indoors-only also. At one time I believed cats should be allowed out to roam and do their thing. It was pure ignorance. My mind changed some years ago. Never again.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM

75 posts, read 102,024 times
Mine are indoor-only too. They like to catch and eat insects but a few weeks ago a small lizard somehow got into my house and one of them caught and killed it. They were trying to steal it away from each other and... I'll just say it was pretty gross.

I really wouldn't want to clean up dead critters on a daily basis, no thanks! LOL.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvieDV View Post
Mine are indoor-only too. They like to catch and eat insects but a few weeks ago a small lizard somehow got into my house and one of them caught and killed it. They were trying to steal it away from each other and... I'll just say it was pretty gross.

I really wouldn't want to clean up dead critters on a daily basis, no thanks! LOL.
When those little lizards and skinks get in my house they not only kill them, but they eat them also. I'll find the end of a tail as that's all they leave. The few times frogs got in they played with them until I rescued them and put them back out in the garden. I was not home the days they ate the skinks/lizards.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 PM

75 posts, read 102,024 times
Yeah it was already too late to save the lizard, it was dead. I was in bed at the time and woke up to the sound of them arguing over it. 3 of them ran in different directions with the body parts and it really grossed me out.

I see the lizards outside all the time but that's only the second time I ever saw one in the house in the 2.5 years we've lived here. I hope the next time it happens I'll be able to catch it and put it outside, lol!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Nothing in life is without its pros and cons. Yes cats kill birds. But they also kill mice, voles, moles, snakes, bugs - all things we would be killing if they didn't.
Other than birds that "slaughter" would be happening anyway.

And as a human , breeding, eating, expelling waste, living in housing, throwing out tons of trash that goes into oceans where sea going birds ingest it, or destroying more and more habitat for housing, mining for materials planting your non native plants, letting your non native pets loose, and on and on and on -
you, your children and grandchildren - i.e. the all hallowed family - are doing as much or more in respect to the destruction of wildlife.
Make no mistake. Humans are the single biggest threat to the planet and everything else that shares it.

So when everyone gets on the Control Human Population bandwagon, lives in high density housing, and gets serious about the environment (and Im not talking about changing your light bulbs and recycling a few cans) I'll start worrying about cats.

Until all the anti cat agencies, organizations and towns do that... they can kiss my ass.

Oh, and how about mandatory spay and neuter? Stricter laws for animal abandonment? Right now the American Birding Association is out there convincing cities and towns to abandon trap neuter spay and go to kill feral cats. And since its easier lots of towns are changing ordinances right now at a pretty fast pace. You won't have to worry about what to do about that feral cat that shows up, it'll be illegal to do anything but call animal control to get it killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats