U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 PM

9,918 posts, read 18,962,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
My cat sleeps day and night: she "cat" naps. Rarely does she sleep all day or all night that I am aware.

I consider my own cat crepuscular, but I guess not all are that way.
That's what I recognize as well. Not so active in the twilight though as much as into the evening and then generally less active about now (11 or so) until 5-6am. Not very active during day either. This is not uncommon for a cat.

Kittens, well, who knows. Does it affect them psychologically? Probably not, especially with two of them. It may or may not cause them to be less interested in you? Dunno. I can say I recall times shutting Amber away when she was little, and for years she did not have access to the bedroom at night, a mistake (I now think) made for allergy reasons. Now with access to the bedroom all night for the last couple years I still hardly see her in here. But that's as a 16-year-old cat. She is a more aloof cat than many I've seen described here. Not sure if any of her behavior can be traced to those early months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 10,871,630 times
My three cats sleep all night. They're most active in the early part of the day and the evening. Some days they're not very active at all. Other days they're active most of the day. They range in age from 2 1/2 to a little over 3 yrs old.

One is more inactive than the others and is starting to gain too much weight.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 AM

5,707 posts, read 11,085,058 times
I'm sure your kittens are fine in the laundry room over night. But make sure you play with them and let them run and jump a LOT before you put them in there. Eventually they will learn your routine and sleep at night, too.

Cats really aren't nocturnal they are most active at dawn and dusk, which is crepuscular.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM

915 posts, read 1,704,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats really aren't nocturnal they are most active at dawn and dusk, which is crepuscular.
I'm glad to know that, and I stand corrected. I work at home and love on them and play with them all day long. Still, the girl is a little shy with me but I'm sure in time it will be fine.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 AM

5,707 posts, read 11,085,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I'm glad to know that, and I stand corrected. I work at home and love on them and play with them all day long. Still, the girl is a little shy with me but I'm sure in time it will be fine.
I think they will grow up to be happy well adjusted cats, and they have one another at night for the time being. If you can put a cat tree of some kind in there so they have something to climb and jump on.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:06 PM

7,074 posts, read 3,715,493 times
Mine sleep at night (and whenever else they feel like it.)
One of em sleeps on my legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or