U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM

915 posts, read 846,074 times
Default Cats: Nocturnal Animals

The only real problem I've ever had with cats is that they're nocturnal animals--and I'm not. They want to rip and tear all night, and I have to sleep because I've got work to do the next day. With my older cat, Edward, I've got him trained (in as much as you can train a cat) so that he will leave me alone until 5:30 a.m. -- which is about the extent of his patience. He at that time jumps on the bed, scratches his claws on the carpet, and talks until I get up. (I don't feed him right away, but it doesn't affect the behavior).

The two new kitties are another matter. I do have to sleep, so I've been shutting them in the laundry room where their bed, litter box, food and water is, so I can sleep at night. They're quiet in there as long as they're together (catching the girl is not always easy).

But my question is this (as odd as it may sound): will it affect them negatively psychologically, leaving them shut up like that at night?

TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM

17,714 posts, read 16,939,157 times
My cat sleeps all night. I know that doesn't help you at all. You are telling us what Edward does, but what do the other kitties do?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM

6,460 posts, read 8,197,638 times
Even though cats may be nocturnal out in nature, all my cats have pretty much slept (with me) all night. Sometimes they wake up God-awful-early, like 5AM, to swat a toy around, but for the most part, they sleep when we sleep.

In fact, they sleep all day too. I think they must sleep at least 20 hours a day, come to think of it.

If the "new kitties" are very young, then it makes sense that they are playing all night. When mine were in the older-kitten-not-quite-adult stage, they were active throughout the night. But it would only last a few months; and once they reached adulthood, it became all sleep, all the time.

As long as they have everything they need, they should be fine locked up overnight. some cats are pretty much happy staying in one room, as long as they have enough to occupy them. But maybe forget about locking them up on weekends. Then you'll see when they get out of the nocturnal play stage. Also, don't leave the laundry room light on all night. Just use a little night-light.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My cat sleeps all night. I know that doesn't help you at all. You are telling us
what Edward does, but what do the other kitties do?
If they're not locked in the laundry room? Rip and tear, jump on the bed, knock things over -- the usual kitty behavior.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM

400 posts, read 278,355 times
I've got 4 cats and none of them gave me problems with they were kittens. They all slept through the night and occassionally crawled over me in the early morning trying to snuggle against us.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee11 View Post
I've got 4 cats and none of them gave me problems with they were kittens. They all slept through the night and occassionally crawled over me in the early morning trying to snuggle against us.
That's another reason I think they should stay in their own room at night; I'm terrified that they'll snuggle up next to me and I'll roll over on them and hurt them. This actually nearly happened once, but I woke up enough to not crush the little girl. They're only nine weeks old.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM

6,460 posts, read 8,197,638 times
When ours are that young and small, they don't get the run of the house when we're not home or when we're sleeping. We usually lock them in a kitty-proofed room when we can't supervise them, until they are mature enough to not get into trouble.
We use a spare bedroom, but the laundry room should be fine, as long as you kitty-proof it so they can't get ito any danger.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,675,433 times
Are they kittens? We would put our two little ones in a laundry basket next to the bed and toss a lightweight blanket over the basket. They seemed to understand that this was a quiet, secure place to be and rapidly dozed off. They would wake up early and start to quietly explore.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Are they kittens? We would put our two little ones in a laundry basket next to the bed and toss a lightweight blanket over the basket. They seemed to understand that this was a quiet, secure place to be and rapidly dozed off. They would wake up early and start to quietly explore.
Yes, they're kittens. That's what I meant when I said "They're only nine weeks old." Mine wouldn't stay in a laundry basket for two seconds.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 897,046 times
My cat sleeps day and night: she "cat" naps. Rarely does she sleep all day or all night that I am aware.

I consider my own cat crepuscular, but I guess not all are that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats