Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times

Advertisements

I saw the lady who trapped the orange/white cat with the white flea collar today. She is such a hag it isnt funny. I ignored her but she knows i know shes the cat trapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I saw the lady who trapped the orange/white cat with the white flea collar today. She is such a hag it isnt funny. I ignored her but she knows i know shes the cat trapper.
Why so much hatred for this woman that you've now resorted to name calling? She humanely caught a cat and brought it to animal control. You make it seem like she's skinning them alive in her home! Yes, it's sad and horrific that the cat she trapped may have likely been put to sleep by animal control, and it's wicked sad that those kittens died because their mother was trapped, but it's not this woman's fault, or any of these "cat haters" fault that that poor cat had kittens on the street and that orange and white tabby was loose on the streets.

I'm an animal lover and can't understand why anyone would hate any animal or say disparaging remarks to pet owners and lovers. Having said that, I can understand the hate people have for loose cats. They ARE highly destructive to personal property and the environment. Both of my cats were picked up off the street in a neighborhood overrun with feral cats that's also a few mere blocks away from one of Chicago's largest park which is home to many native species they're trying to reintroduce into the city. I've seen the damage these feral and outdoor cats have done. Frankly, I wish MORE people took an active role in trapping feral and outdoor cats and turning them over to animal control. I'm a fan of T-N-R but in some situation, culling the population out right for the sake of the native species of birds and rodents may be best. There are no real easy answers and I've long given up the hope that every single cat on the street can be saved and given a loving home (one of my old neighbors thought this and refused to turn over any of her T-N-R cats to animal control once she got them neutered. She now has close to 2 dozen cats in her 2 bedroom apartment and is fast becoming an unhealthy hoarder).

Instead of railing against this woman anonymously on a forum, why not speak with your fellow cat owners and stress the importance of keeping their cats indoors and neutering their pets?

Oh, and I agree Wolfette, please stop referring to them as "witches". I know a few "witches", women who practice certain pagan religions who are nothing like what you described and it's a borderline slur against them in your context.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You and I must be reading 2 different threads because this one is full of people condemning cat haters. One poster thought they should " burn in hell with no mercy" and then told a supposed cat hater "someone should get rid of you". Nah, no condemnation there.
Sorry, I didn't see the "burn in hell" comment or read right over it.

Quote:
I don't hate cats, but I am severely allergic to them and as such avoid them. 40+ years of allergy shots and drug therapy hasn't made it better. Some on this thread stated they would find me unworthy of their friendship and wouldn't trust me since I have no cats. I find their attitudes to be small minded and judgmental. I love dogs and yet, I would never dismiss someone as unworthy because they felt differently.
I don't think most animal loves reject non-animal lovers as much as they have little in common with them. My entire life was so entwined with my job at the Animal Hosp', saving cats and dogs that were abandoned, volunteering at Animal Shelters,.... what would I have in common with someone not interested in animals? They would find me a bore I'm sure, and I wouldn't be able to relate to their lives.

Quote:
I think it's great there are people on this forum who love cats and are passionate about protecting and defending them. That's a good thing. But, I also find that some are doing the community of cat lovers a huge disservice when they spew hate and condemnation toward others. You can't expect people to respect your cause when they find it impossible to respect you.
I don't disagree with you but I think some cat lovers get tired of always hearing the same crap from those who despise cats or make it known they don't think much of cats and those who love them and keep as many as they can afford. They finally lash out at the person making such negative comments. I've come close to doing it myself. Than have to remember that it's the cat-haters loss that they will never know the joy of owning a few cats... and let it all go.

Some allergic people love cats dearly and would have one if they could.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:10 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
My personal opinion is there are very few 'domestic animal haters'. However, in my years upon this earth I have met many more 'irresponsible domestic animal owners'. When seeing neighborhood outdoor animals jumping up on 2nd-story balconies, slaughtering wild birds (which runs $25/week in shelled sunflower seeds), it is not the animal's fault in any way. That is what the animal is taught to do by nature. When the owner, however, states "that is what they evolved to do, so live with it". That is both utter irresponsibility and total disregard for the neighbors. Sounds like a great way to cause neighbors to have a strong dislike towards the owner. Just my opinion, based on observations.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM

75 posts, read 102,012 times
I can understand that. My cats are indoors, it's not just for their own safety, it's also because I certainly don't want them to be a nuisance to my neighbors. This is an animal friendly street but it doesn't mean that it's ok to let them wander all over the place.

I wouldn't like my neighbor's dog coming onto my patio and doing its business in my flower bed so I'm pretty sure they don't want my cats doing that either. Annoying the neighbors will also put a cat at risk of being injured or killed. I mentioned in another thread that people are really big into poisoning dogs and cats who mess up their yards where I live. I was in the vets with one of my cats this year when a woman was brought in carrying her dog that had been poisoned. It was a really really sad scene to witness and I wanted to cry for her and her dog.

I also plan on volunteering for the next TNR drive with the local charity. Up until maybe the past 10-15 years ago they used to cull cats (I didn't live here at the time) but now these programs are being introduced and the volunteers will talk to the locals about what they do and it's gaining more support each year. They always say to the cat haters that their aim is to reduce the cat population so they should support them as they're doing their part to cut down the number of kittens being born in the feral cat colonies.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
I just dont associate with animal haters. They could be broken down in the middle of the desert in the summer with no water & i would just drive by & give them the finger.
Not everyone who prefers not to be around cats or dogs or any animal is an animal "hater". They're just a person with a preference that's different from yours. I would hope that they treat your love of cats with respect. And perhaps you could consider doing the same and treat them with respect. No one ever changed the heart or mind of another with hate.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-24-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc4me View Post
not everyone who prefers not to be around cats or dogs or any animal is an animal "hater". They're just a person with a preference that's different from yours. I would hope that they treat your love of cats with respect. And perhaps you could consider doing the same and treating them with respect. No one ever changed the heart or mind of another with hate.
qft!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Where i live at their are at least a dozen cat haters incl the mgr. A witch that lives here trapped a beautiful orange/white cat with a white flea collar on it. She called animal control & they took the cat away. Another witch trapped a friendly cat that had beautiful markings & a litter of kittens. The kittens starved to death cause the mom was killed by animal control in devore, ca. I didnt know about it till after the fact. I wish all people would fix their cat & keep it indoors away from predators, cars & low life people. The world is full of ignorant humans & it always will be. I have 5 cats & they are strickly indoors. Last month the mgr called me & said someone said i was tripping the cat traps which wasnt true. She said i wont write you up this time but you have been warned to not touch the traps. I HATE people that hate cats & i hope they all burn in hell with no mercy.
I have discovered through time that people who "hate" cats are usually people who cannot handle the fact that a cat does not worship and adore them, like dogs do. They are sick control freaks who MUST be able to order their pets around like little furry slaves in order to assert their "dominance" and "superiority". pfffffft

Around here there are a good many redneck types who go out of their way (literally) to run over cats that might be on the shoulder of the road (of course, these are the same people who run over 'possums because it is "fun" and 'possums are "worthless"). I doubt that their IQ exceeds their shoe size and I keep hoping that one of these days they will manage to run off the road, missing the cat (or 'possum) and hit a good sized oak tree instead. Hopefully decorating the inside of their truck with their own entrails and cranial matter.

I am with you about the burning in hell thing.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
At times, large broods of feral cats need to be culled. They will ruin the ecosystem.
The "ecosystem" does not have any knowledge of how many feral cats there are. The numbers of cats will adjust to the amount of food that is present which means that the older, sicker cats will die and the stronger ones will survive. It is the way that the ecosystem works. If you, and other do-gooders start screwing with the system you will have problems with rodents and other vermin. Cats were venerated in ancient Egypt not only because Egyptians were cool, but because they survived chiefly on a diet of grain. To have rats/mice/vermin in their grain stores would have meant certain death and they knew that the cats took care of it.

Despite what you might believe, Gpsma, people do not know better than nature.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The "ecosystem" does not have any knowledge of how many feral cats there are. The numbers of cats will adjust to the amount of food that is present which means that the older, sicker cats will die and the stronger ones will survive. It is the way that the ecosystem works. If you, and other do-gooders start screwing with the system you will have problems with rodents and other vermin. Cats were venerated in ancient Egypt not only because Egyptians were cool, but because they survived chiefly on a diet of grain. To have rats/mice/vermin in their grain stores would have meant certain death and they knew that the cats took care of it.

Despite what you might believe, Gpsma, people do not know better than nature.

20yrsinBranson
We have no roaming or feral cats in our neighborhood and yet we're not over run with rats or other vermin. We do however have birds of prey like red tail hawks and owls. Snakes also help keep the rodent population in check. Cat owners should keep their cats indoors where they are safe. Don't worry that the lack of roaming cats will have negative effects. Nature keeps things in balance quite fine without them.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-24-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats