U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM

580 posts, read 1,106,357 times

Advertisements

Below is a review of "Scoop Away" cat litter from "Consumer Search". The review also suggests web sites that have more thorough comparison reviews if interested. This was rated one of the best cat litters on the market with caveats mentioned below regarding "clumping chemicals". We have used this cat litter for several years and we love it and our cats seem to also. We have never had a problem with odor even when they don't cover properly, the urine clumps immediately and the smell of litter boxes is usually because the urine makes it to the bottom of the pan and can't be completely removed. This stuff turns the urine into a pancake and it can be completely removed. You also have to make sure you have the litter deep enough and that you level it out after scooping. The cats do track it so we have thick carpet that the litter boxes sit on that catches most of it and we just vacuum it up. You can't flush it so we dump it in the woods where we live, would otherwise put it out for the garbage man. Visitors are amazed when they come into our house and find out we have cats because there is no odor whatsoever, absolutely none, I can usually smell cats when I go to someones home and it's probably because they're using cheap litter or not scooping their litter boxes daily. Cats are very picky about their litter boxes, they like them clean and level. As soon as we scoop and level, one of them just has to go in and either go to the bathroom or just walk around and mess it up, they seem to love a freshly cleaned litter box, they also sometimes go in just to look around as if to inspect and make sure we're doing our chores!! Good luck with this.

"Clumping, fine-grained cat litters like Scoop Away Multiple Cat Formula are far and away the most popular type of litter in the U.S. Owners give the slight edge to this brand over the similar Tidy Cats Scoop (*est. $17 for 27 lbs.), saying cats like its texture and its clumping makes it easy to clean. However, some pet owners are suspicious of the chemical additives that cause clay litters to clump, and others say cats tend to track fine-grained litters like Scoop Away around the house. If you're willing to experiment with an organic, flushable, clumping, large-grained cat litter, you might want to consider World's Best Cat Litter (*est. $40 for 34 lbs.), though it's far more expensive.
We found the best comparative reviews of cat litters (including Scoop Away) at Slate.com and in an article from the San Francisco Chronicle. We supplemented these reviews with owner posts at the online pet retailer Petco.com."
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 AM

5,755 posts, read 11,248,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I swear by Feline Pine it keeps the odor way down however it must be the pellet style, the powder doesn't work at all for my cats. In addition I clean the litter pans with Simple Green or a scented castile soap so the plastic doesn't have any remaining smell to it. The bag states you can use this litter for a longer period of time than regular litter but I change the litter weekly except for times when I was recovering from surgery or such at which time it did go for two weeks. To tell you the truth at two weeks it was still pretty good but after many years of changing litter weekly I found it a hard habit to break.
I am exactly the same. Everyone tells me that using clumping litter, boxes do not need to be dump-and-scrubbed "that often". I am fairly new using clumping, I've always used regular clay until the past few months.

It just goes against my grain to not dump and scrub the litter boxes every week, regardless of what kind of litter I am using. I also scrub my toilet every week. I want a clean bathroom, and my cats deserve the same level of hygiene.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 AM

575 posts, read 1,440,499 times
I used to do a full dump and change of litter about every week and a half to two weeks and scrub them out. I would get a bit lax in the full winter because the hoses would freeze over The clay litters are just dirty and I didn't want my cats walking through that every day.

Now that I have switched over to the Swheat Scoop litter I do not dump and scrub that often. I feel that the litter just stays cleaner longer. I don't get all those broken clumps of urine that just stay in the box until you dump it all out. If any clumps break apart when I scoop then they get absorbed into a new clump the next time someone potties. That doesn't happen with the clay litter. So I do add a bit to keep the level of the box full and notice the shade is a bit lighter of the new liter - so I know it's not "just as clean" but I now do a full dumb and scrub about every 4-6 weeks.

I can live with this. Given most people I know NEVER clean a box other than scoop and add more litter (blah yuck gross)

Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM

2,873 posts, read 4,399,388 times
One warning about Feline Pine or Swheat Scoop...I think they are both very good litters and I wish I could use them. Some bratty cats (JJ) will eat the pellets or grains, however. The same thing happened with Yesterday's News. So if you are changing to an organic based litter, keep an eye on your kitty and make sure they don't treat the litter box like a food bowl.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
I used to do a full dump and change of litter about every week and a half to two weeks and scrub them out. I would get a bit lax in the full winter because the hoses would freeze over The clay litters are just dirty and I didn't want my cats walking through that every day.

Now that I have switched over to the Swheat Scoop litter I do not dump and scrub that often. I feel that the litter just stays cleaner longer. I don't get all those broken clumps of urine that just stay in the box until you dump it all out. If any clumps break apart when I scoop then they get absorbed into a new clump the next time someone potties. That doesn't happen with the clay litter. So I do add a bit to keep the level of the box full and notice the shade is a bit lighter of the new liter - so I know it's not "just as clean" but I now do a full dumb and scrub about every 4-6 weeks.

I can live with this. Given most people I know NEVER clean a box other than scoop and add more litter (blah yuck gross)
I pick out the tiny pee clumps that break off with a slotted spoon. However even with that, I still am compelled to dump and scrub every week.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 PM

13,092 posts, read 2,253,955 times
I actually use Tidy Cats cat litter and I have 5 cats. It works the best for me and I can tell the difference if I buy another brand it doesn't work as well.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM

7,201 posts, read 10,986,389 times
Quote:

And they're probably the very same people who complain how litter boxes "stink."

Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,042,861 times
Quote:
BUT I will tell you what changed my life as far as litter box scooping!! I was so sick of carting little plastic grocery bags out to my trash can! Rain or shine 3 trips to the garbage can - I hated it. So I got a diaper pail - and I line it with a trash can ( NOT a special expensive liner) It was cheap about $15 or so off of Amazon. I scoop the box right into the diaper pail and I take out the big load on trash days (once a week) sometimes twice. And I never have a smell because that's what a diaper pail is for! It's so quick and easy now to run in there lift the diaper pail lid, scoop a little, close the lid and I'm done.
How funny! I had the same idea but I still need/needed to research it because I wasn't sure exactly what a diaper pail was, but it sounds like what I need ... between the animals that are out at night around our place and the 15 inches of snow at times during the winter ....

Also found this:Buy.com - Litter Locker II Cat Litter Disposal System
but the diaper pail sounds the same for less money overall (I am Not buying a used diaper pail though! lol)

I'm dying to try this new? litter ... I'm SO tired of dust everywhere, especially my bedroom (Alfredo, and now Olivia as well, have a private litter box that I keep a thin cardboard cover over (no Meeko, because he marks everything as HIS!) They let me know when they need it, although I'm pretty much in tune with their schedule now, and Freddie has figured out he can nudge the cardboard off the top of the box and use it without my help.

I was referring to the green tea litter, but there are new products, plus others, so here are all of them from Nextgen.
All Natural Cat Litters- Next Gen Pet Products

Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex;25817634
I'm dying to try this new? litter ... I'm SO tired of dust everywhere, especially my bedroom (Alfredo, and now Olivia as well, have a private litter box that I keep a thin cardboard cover over (no Meeko, because he marks everything as HIS!) They let me know when they need it, although I'm pretty much in tune with their schedule now, and Freddie has figured out he can nudge the cardboard off the top of the box and use it without my help.

I was referring to the green tea litter, but there are new products, plus others, so here are all of them from Nextgen.
[URL="http://www.nextgenpet.com/cat-litter/"
All Natural Cat Litters- Next Gen Pet Products[/url]
But...doesn't green tea contain caffeine? Caffeine is toxic to cats, too. We know that any litter is going to get ingested, at least a little, because it sticks to their feet sometimes, and they wash their feet.

Would that be a concern I wonder.

I tried feline pine clumping once. Aside from the fact that my Red Boy (now a Bridge Angel) showed an allergy to it; after only a couple of days the smell of the litter boxes was terrible. Not a dirty litter box smell really (I scooped just as often as I always do, which, I have been told, is an obsessive amount haha) but more of a...just a bad rotting odor. It was awful.

If you do try this litter, let us know how you like it.

Since going to entirely clumping a few months ago I use Cat's Pride "Natural". I would rather use their "original" because it clumps without sodium bentonite, but it has fragrance added, so I use the "Natural". It clumps as will as any other I imagine (I have no basis for comparison, though) and there is no dust.

The newer jugs have a change in the color of the litter, and the litter has more of a tendency to turn to cement on the bottom of the box, something I haven't had a problem with up until now.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,399,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
But...doesn't green tea contain caffeine? Caffeine is toxic to cats, too. We know that any litter is going to get ingested, at least a little, because it sticks to their feet sometimes, and they wash their feet.

Would that be a concern I wonder.

I tried feline pine clumping once. Aside from the fact that my Red Boy (now a Bridge Angel) showed an allergy to it; after only a couple of days the smell of the litter boxes was terrible. Not a dirty litter box smell really (I scooped just as often as I always do, which, I have been told, is an obsessive amount haha) but more of a...just a bad rotting odor. It was awful.
Oh, I forgot about that...Feline Pine does have a strong odor to me when it gets damp. Especially with the box in the bedroom, it quickly became overpowering. It just smelled like wet, musty wood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats