U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM

5,871 posts, read 11,705,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Oh, I forgot about that...Feline Pine does have a strong odor to me when it gets damp. Especially with the box in the bedroom, it quickly became overpowering. It just smelled like wet, musty wood
Yes, that's it! I didn't care for that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,136,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
But...doesn't green tea contain caffeine? Caffeine is toxic to cats, too. We know that any litter is going to get ingested, at least a little, because it sticks to their feet sometimes, and they wash their feet.

Would that be a concern I wonder.
Ha Ha I got stuck on catechins, and is that toxic to cats ... that's why I haven't ordered yet ... that and not having had it discussed here.

Well now, of course, I'm hoping to find they magically removed ALL caffeine. lol

A girl can dream ... [of a dust free hardwood floor] ... can't she.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM

575 posts, read 1,486,299 times
Yea my mom showed me that green tea litter. I didn't find anything about it that wasn't any better than the corn/wheat litters as far as biodegradable, flushable, lighter weight, earth friendly blah blah blah. But I wasn't sure about some of those ingredients. I too agree it's not a good idea

Amazon.com: Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail: Baby

This is the diaper pail I bought (in 2010!) to use for my litter disposal. I don't think it was 30$ then, but maybe it was and I just didn't care. If I had to buy a new one now and new it was that much I would pay even more for it knowing how easy it has made my life!

Amazon.com: Safety 1st Simple Step Diaper Pail: Baby

This is similar but a bit cheaper. - The opening at the top it a bit wider it looks like which is a downfall with mine. It's hard to get a scoop that fits in - sometimes the clumps "overshoot" and you get a mess I HATE THAT! Because the scoop is wider than the diaper hole. And this one has a foot pedal to open the top, but I don't think I'd like that because I can see my cats opening it all the time.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM

295 posts, read 449,955 times
Very interesting about the diaper pail! I found a cheap, small step-on covered trash can at a Big Lots that I line with used grocery store bags (being careful not to use any with holes!) I also put a stick-up deodorizer in the trash can. This way I don't have to dump the trash can every day, and the cover (along with keeping it under the laundry sink cabinet) seems to keep the odor away. It just stinks when I go to scoop out more the next time!

For my first cat, I used Ever Clean cat litter. I liked it a lot, but it was expensive. With these 2 cats, I tried Fresh Step. I did a whole lot of research beforehand. Stay away from anything scented - because if we smell the perfumed scent, it's a whole lot stronger for the kitties who practically have their noses in it! The problem I had was that the huge bag from Costco WAS scented - and I didn't think it clumped as well as the Ever Clean.

I also tried using a bag of World's Best Cat Litter because I had an offer for a free one. I put it in one litter pan, kept the Fresh Step in the other. They never used the World's Best. So out that went.

I was discovering a TON of dust in the laundry room where I keep the litter boxes, but also around the house too. So I decided it was time to go back to the Ever Clean. Still a little bit dusty but not to the extent of the Fresh Step. I think it clumps better, too. I probably change it all out and scrub the pans every couple of months, since it seems to clump so well.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 AM

575 posts, read 1,486,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post
Very interesting about the diaper pail! I found a cheap, small step-on covered trash can at a Big Lots that I line with used grocery store bags (being careful not to use any with holes!) I also put a stick-up deodorizer in the trash can. This way I don't have to dump the trash can every day, and the cover (along with keeping it under the laundry sink cabinet) seems to keep the odor away. It just stinks when I go to scoop out more the next time!
Yep - I just line mine with plain old trash bags - I found that the "waste can" liners were a bit too small and don't take the weight very well and I was having to double bag. So I started to use like 10 gallon Walmart brand bags. They work great. WAY cheaper than those rings of litter locker liners! Those are $$$

Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,041 times
Okay... gotta weigh in here. I hear the Breathe Free litter pads are pretty great. Yes, they are pads. They adhere to the bottom of the litter box and inexpensive, clay litter goes on top of the pad. Apparently the cats like it... and there is no odor to speak of for 30 days. Breathe Free is the maker.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM

67 posts, read 191,989 times
I started with Swheat Scoop (wheat). It was alright, flushable, but did a good job of stinking after a while.

Then we switched to World's Best (corn). I liked it pretty well, but it was a bit dusty. I'd say the odor control was significantly better than Swheat Scoop. You can tell when someone's been in the litter box, as you see dusty footprints on the floor (or on your clothing when they want to be pet). Ick.

I tried a bag of Blue Buffalo (walnut shells and fibers) on sale from Pet Supplies Plus. The smell is even better than WB, considerably less dust, however, it seems that it tracks a bit more. It's about the same price as the WB.

Three litter boxes are Blue Buffalo right now, and the fourth is World's Best. The cats don't seem to have a preference; I am just keeping the one with World's Best because I have about 20 some pounds left in the bag and don't see a reason to toss it if it works. I'll be going all Blue Buffalo when the old bag is used up.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

9,676 posts, read 6,230,359 times
Oddly enough, the pros that have written on this topic usually recommend plain old clumping clay litter. Seriously.

The wheat, corn, etc can cause allergy problems.

The only big drawback I know of with the clay litter is that it weighs a TON and getting the back from shelf to home is a nuisance. Once I have it home though, I pour the clean litter into a covered tub with a scoop, so I don't have to lift it again.

I've used the Sa-wheat Scoop and the clay litter...and something I like a lot about the clay litter we're using is that the clumps don't break up as easily as in the wheat litters, so you don't wind up with as many icky little bits of contaminated stuff that falls through the scoop and stays in the box between complete litter changes.

I was using Dr. Elsey's (the blue package, not that "Cat Attract" stuff, whatever that's about) but during a recent trip to Petco I couldn't find it, so I got some of their store brand (refillable containers--cool!) instead. It works just fine, and like Dr. Elsey's it is also "99% dust free". The clay doesn't track out as far as the wheat/corn/nutshells because it's heavier and falls off the toesies faster.

Also these clay litters are most likely cheaper than anything Blue Buffalo brand.

EDIT: I didn't address smell. I think that smell is more about how often you scoop, having enough litterbox real estate for the number of felines in your house, and what kitties be eating, if those things are not in order, the fanciest litter on planet earth is not an adequate compensation.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM

31,153 posts, read 57,185,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was using Dr. Elsey's (the blue package, not that "Cat Attract" stuff, whatever that's about) but during a recent trip to Petco I couldn't find it, so I got some of their store brand (refillable containers--cool!) instead. It works just fine, and like Dr. Elsey's it is also "99% dust free".
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been switching brands on my cats right and left -- they don't seem to mind as long as the boxes are cleaned once a day! -- and have tried anything that's unscented. A nice generic, unscented clumping litter is just what I'm after; most stores have a generic clumping litter, but very few of them are unscented.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM

12,552 posts, read 12,022,280 times
When I got my cats, I went and tested every cat litter available (well most). I settled upon A&H fragrance free super scoop. Has no noticeable dust (at least very minimal), none of the fragrance garbage, and cleans up great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats