U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,655,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A nice generic, unscented clumping litter is just what I'm after; most stores have a generic clumping litter, but very few of them are unscented.
Costco's store brand is an unscented clumping litter. Probably their Kirkland brand - I just checked and couldn't find the original bag to verify, we pour it into a large plastic container and discard the bag. It clumps quite nicely and doesn't track as bad as most others. It's noticeably lighter in both weight and color than the traditional clay. Excellent odor control and not much dust. Since I don't have the bag, I can't tell you what's in it.

Like most Costco stuff, it only comes in one huge size (40 lbs, I think) so unfortunately you can't get a small size to try it out.

We're down to one cat now but we've always followed the rule of "one litter box for each cat plus one extra for the group". So 1 cat = 2 boxes, 2 cats = 3 boxes, 3 cats = 4 boxes, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,655,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The wheat, corn, etc can cause allergy problems.
We never had allergic people or cats so didn't experience that. But back in the day when I did try wheat and corn litter, we had terrible insect problems with both. Big black flies laid eggs in the wheat, that was awful!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 AM

2,797 posts, read 4,655,190 times
In my experience, for scoopable litter, Tidy Cat, Scoop Away, and Fresh Step are the best (in terms of controlling the odor). However, the brand that I really like is, as crazy as it sounds, Mills Fleet Farm's "Litter Delight" multicat scoopable litter. It can be had at 40 lbs for $9 (when it's on sale, which seems to be fairly often) and does an excellent job of odor control.

Litter Delight Scoopable Multi-Cat Litter - Mills Fleet Farm

(...And yes, sadly, you can only find those stores in Minnesota and Wisconsin.)

Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,569,517 times
We have deviated from the Dr. Elsey's based on where I happened to be shopping when I needed to buy cat litter (not every store has it.)

Petco's store brand, which can be put into the refillable containers for less money, is unscented, clumping, dust free and functional clay litter. I also got some other brand that fit all of the above criteria (can't remember the brand name but it came in a green plastic container and was advertised as weighing less although it was a clay litter)...seems so long as we get those factors nailed down we're in good shape. But for the record out of what we've tried, the Dr. Elsey's forms harder clumps that don't break up so easily and don't contaminate the box as much, compared to the others.

Nimbus doesn't seem to care what brand of litter I use, he just likes fossicking about in the clean litterbox after I'm done scooping/changing it.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 PM

12,403 posts, read 1,917,658 times
We use wood pellets ... no more cat litter. It just turns to sawdust when wet and the smell isn't as obvious. We have many cats.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM

10,059 posts, read 5,400,935 times
Any cat litter that is not cedar and is not clay/clumping/whatever spreading dust all around. That dust can and more than likely will, eventually, cause problems to kitty's respiratory system.

I can't say I've never used the clay...because I have. But an older cat does have those respiratory issues BECAUSE of the clay, so the litter was switched to little pellets...they look like rabbit food, to be honest. It works really well, the odor stays away a long, long time, (more time than I actually need before changing it completely out), and it doesn't get tracked all over the house, in my bed, on the carpet, etc.

I will never go back to clumping cat litter again.

Oh, and since I stopped using the clay? Kitteh's respiratory is doing a whole lot better!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Three Wolves, have you tried any of the clumping clay types that are advertised as being "dust free?" I don't buy any package of litter unless it says that on it. The ones I've tried, you don't get any noticeable dust, even when you pour a large amount into the empty box on change-out day. If there was any kind of a dust cloud, I wouldn't still be using this stuff.

I love our clumping litter, it's easy to scoop daily, and lets me very easily monitor the frequency and volume of urine, just so I have peace of mind that my little guy's urinary health is A-OK.

I'm not interested in any brand that touts "odor control." Because I don't want any weird chemicals or scents in it to try and mask or contain smells, and I scoop often enough that there is never a stink. I've asked non-cat-owning friends to tell me upon entering my home if they could smell cat box, and no one can. The only time I smell anything is when Nimbus is actually doing his business or just finished...and then only for a moment. If it bothered me enough, I'd just scoop it right then and there.

Granted...I have only the one cat. So my cat-care is relatively simple.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM

297 posts, read 171,851 times
I used to have 4 cats and now down to 2 and tried just about every litter out there. Either didn't like the smell or the dust. Even the non dusty seem to track into the house. I use the Breeze litter box now and it's not perfect, but it's better than most. They say the pellets last 30 days, but it's more like 2 weeks, but I still think it smells way better than the clumping litter.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM

Oh, with regards to the tracking, I had to do a little adjustment to prevent that...at first I had a mat by the box, theoretically he'd step out onto the mat and it would capture the litter on his little foots. Well, the problem was that he get super frisky after he potties, so he was doing these wild acrobatic leaps out of the box that would basically scatter litter in all directions and halfway across the room...and of course he was bounding completely over the mat.

So I started storing the clean litter in a big plastic tub with a lid, and I put it right next to the litterbox in a corner of the room, so the whole affair is boxed in on 3 sides, and the mat is on the fourth side, and he is restricted from his psychotic sideways leaps and has to exit the way I want him to. I had to restrain his enthusiasm somehow...crazy kitty... I also keep a small bagless vacuum right there in the room, so every Wednesday (trash day) when I do the full change-out routine, I also quickly vacuum up any tracked out litter from that corner.

Nimbus has really put me through the paces, trying to out-think him and solve the issues his behavior and needs can present...all part of the delight of having him around I guess.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,553,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Any cat litter that is not cedar and is not clay/clumping/whatever spreading dust all around. That dust can and more than likely will, eventually, cause problems to kitty's respiratory system.

I can't say I've never used the clay...because I have. But an older cat does have those respiratory issues BECAUSE of the clay, so the litter was switched to little pellets...they look like rabbit food, to be honest. It works really well, the odor stays away a long, long time, (more time than I actually need before changing it completely out), and it doesn't get tracked all over the house, in my bed, on the carpet, etc.

I will never go back to clumping cat litter again.

Oh, and since I stopped using the clay? Kitteh's respiratory is doing a whole lot better!
Do you know what the pellets are made of or what brand it is? I am curious about alternatives myself. My mother sent me an article about the dangers of scoopable litter/clumping litter. It mentioned the respiratory dangers as well as problems from sodium bentonite, a clumping agent that "acts like an expandable cement" and could be very hazardous if accidentally ingested.

Anyway it freaked me out enough that I decided I'd like to look for alternatives. Currently we use Tidy Cat and Fresh Step depending on what is on sale or has a coupon. We have 3 cats, 2 boxes, and they are scooped every day without fail... but when I tried different (cheaper) litters in the past there was always an odor issue even with daily scooping.

My mother uses something that doesn't clump, and there is no smell, BUT she also has cats that go freely indoors and out all day (she lives in a rural area). So I would guess they do a lot of their business outdoors. Our cats are strictly indoor cats and we have a smallish apartment so odor control is a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats