U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,354,810 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We have three indoor cats, and recently moved to a home where the "litter area" is smaller. There are three boxes. I am scooping and emptying constantly! I can still smell it. It's like my whole life, taking care of the litter boxes! Once we adopt cats or dogs, they are ours for life. The oldest one is only 9, so we have a few more years of this. It wasn't bad with two cats, but then some other cat showed up at our doorstep a few years ago and we took in a third.

Letting them outside isn't an option, so I need to find some good litter - please!

Currently using Fresh Step Multi Cat which is not that great. Do any of you have results with that powder that you use before putting litter down? Seems I used to do that and it might have helped.

I empty completely every week and scrub the boxes (3 for three cats) down completely, and scoop daily. Sorry to sound like I'm complaining too much - I do love my cats.

Thanks for any advice,

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,097,074 times
I only have one Kitty but she can sure stink up the whole house!

I use Fresh Step 'Extreme' Odor Control- and it seems to mask the odor a lot better than regular.

I find that scooping her litter box once every day or two is usually enough You'll probably always need to scoop yours more just due to the sheer number of cats, but it's possible that the Extreme Odor Control will assist as far as the smell goes.

Good Luck!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Thank you!

I know what you mean. One of our cats (the oldest one, and she is the most affectionate, so I can't get mad at her) is the one actually creating the smell. The other two are pretty low maintenance.

Appreciate the recommendation - will check it out!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM

31,040 posts, read 56,773,401 times
I've been using Precious Cat; you can usually find a coupon here:

Precious Cat Litter

I scoop once a day and it's fine.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM

575 posts, read 1,472,529 times
I use the swheat scoop. I switched over to it pretty recently after being a Tidy Cat user for years and years. It was really hard to fork over the money for the new litter as it's pretty costly but I really love it. I think it lasts longer, I throw less of it away as I scoop and I have to do a full change over less often as the litter just feels like it is cleaner longer.

It also is so much healthier for the cats. The clay and silicate litter are just full of bad things. As far as an odor control in the Swheat scoop - I have four cats - two boxes and have no trouble. You HAVE to keep the litter 3 inches deep (which is a lot) for proper absorption. I took a ruler and a sharpie marker and filled up the boxed till it reached that 3 inch depth then put marks on 3 sides of the box so I could keep and eye on the fill level - it helps me a lot.

As far as scooping - I scoop once a day a full "clean out" then I go in once a day and clean out if some has left a stinky surprise, sometimes twice. But on these touch ups I don't worry about getting every single thing out of the box. Cleaning out the box that often is just the price of this many cats. I figure I flush my toilet 50 times a day so their box needs to be touched up a few times.

BUT I will tell you what changed my life as far as litter box scooping!! I was so sick of carting little plastic grocery bags out to my trash can! Rain or shine 3 trips to the garbage can - I hated it. So I got a diaper pail - and I line it with a trash can ( NOT a special expensive liner) It was cheap about $15 or so off of Amazon. I scoop the box right into the diaper pail and I take out the big load on trash days (once a week) sometimes twice. And I never have a smell because that's what a diaper pail is for! It's so quick and easy now to run in there lift the diaper pail lid, scoop a little, close the lid and I'm done.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,510,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've been using Precious Cat; you can usually find a coupon here:

Precious Cat Litter

I scoop once a day and it's fine.
This one. More specifically, Precious Cat Ultra (blue label). Here's a direct link to that product: Ultra | Precious Cat Litter No scent of its own, excellent odor control and best clumping I've ever seen (and I've tried lots over the years). Amber is now famous for peeing over and over in the same spot, and this litter handles that better than the rest. Because it clumps so well you can usually get by with fewer (less frequent) full box dump outs because they don't get so contaminated with broken urine clumps. This can help offset some of the added cost. I've been buying this at Petsmart in a 40lb bag for, eh, 15 or 16 bucks I think it is, and sometimes they put it on sale.

Make sure you put enough of a layer of the litter in the boxes. You shouldn't be getting clumps stuck to the bottom or other similar issues if there's enough litter in the box.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,210,494 times
We have three cats and use FreshStep clumping. I scoop at least twice a day and there is no odor unless one of them defecates and doesn't cover it.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks, all, for the wonderful ideas! Fellow cat lovers are the best.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,264,620 times
I use a combination of corn and pine clumping litter...corn because it clumps the best, and pine because it neutralizes odor so well. The clumping action isn't as great with the pre-mixed ones I've tried as it is when I mix "world's best" multiple cat corn clumping litter with "Nature's Miracle" pine clumping litter...I think the "World's Best" really IS the world's best as far as clumping, but it does nothing whatsoever for odor and that's undesirable. Tidy Cats recently came out with a corn/pine/cedar clumping litter which has EXCELLENT odor control, but again, the clumping action is a bit too loosey-goosey for me, so I'm going to try mixing it with a bag of "World's Best" next time and see if that does the trick.

Yes, I admit it...I'm so fussy I'm willing to buy every corn, pine & cedar clumping litter there is, and mix them in every possible combination until I find the perfect one...you think this is bad, you should see me with their food, I'm ridiculous, LOL!
The fun just never ends !

Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 PM

5,993 posts, read 13,103,102 times
Personally, the crystal litters have worked the best for us. I've currently been using the Fresh Step Crystals though may switch to the Petco brand since it comes in a larger, more cost efficient size. I've literally tried every type of litter out there and, in the end, this is the one litter that Cypher, who is far more finicky than Julius when it comes to the litter box, will consistently use w/o incident. I tried corn/wheat based litters and he seemed to be put off by the smell after a couple of days, no matter how often I scooped (to be fair, so was I. NOT a fan of the smell!). Clumping litter worked out ok, but after 5 days or so, when the smaller granules of pee couldn't be scooped out as well began building up, he'd move on to the bath tub. Plus I had issues with the amount of dust and perfume that would kick up when changing day came which always aggravated my asthma a bit. The crystals work b/c the liquid moves to the bottom, leaving the top dry. There is practically zero smell since it also dries out the poop!

One of my litter box is a sifting box like this one and it works a million times better with the crystals vs. clumping. In the future, I hope to get this litter box along with a "forever tray" since it's one of the few self cleaning boxes I've heard good things about.

There are concerns with this litter, primarily regarding ingestion and comfort. My cats don't mind the texture and dig around just as easily and neither of them have tried eating the litter (Bella the dog is another issue, but she hasn't gone "digging for treasure" as much with the crystal litter vs. clumping and I think she though corn based litters were just there as a condiment! ). It's also some of the most expensive litter out there, though on the other hand, it doesn't need to be changed out as often. I buy an 8lb bag of the Fresh Step Crystals for about $13-15 dollars and this lasts my two cats about 2 weeks before I need to dump out the whole box (the crystals will get over-saturated with urine over time and that's when you dump out the whole batch). It's worth the cost to have virtually no odor and not worrying about carrying 20-40lb containers of clay litter to a 3rd floor walkup every month or so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats