Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 13,845 times

Advertisements

I understand that they can be great for allergy sufferers. Is that true? Also, how are they with other pets? Do they hunt small pets - like my fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
they are just like ANYOTHER cat...only tend to bemore on the talkative sie like a simaese...

like all cats they have a strong play/prey drive. put a secure top onyour fish tank and your fish will be fine...ont leave hammy the hamsterrunning around unsupervised or tweety the canary flying about the room and no isssues.

they tend to eb better for allergy sufferers,the coat oesnt 'hold" dander like normal cat hair, but if your suer allergic to cats nothing is set in stone, as the alergen is primarily the saliva not the hair.

The dornish tend to be clown like, very much like siamese in personality, reagal sweet, very people orientated...
devons tend to be more "dog like" wagging thier tail when happy and loving to play fetch.

i grew up around devons and cornish and LOVE them...would lvoe to ad cornihs to the family one day.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We have a Devon Rex and we got one for my parents are well.

My wife is deathly allergic to most cats. She cannot even enter a house where a cat lives wihtout Benadryl even if the cat is not there. Our Devon sleeps on my wifes face with no problems. However not all allergy sufferes are non-allergic to devons. Some are some are not.

There are as many theories about why this is as there are Devons. SOme say they have hair instead of fur. Some say they are missing one of the tree types of fur normal cats have, some say it is becuase their hair is so short. No idea what is right, but it definitely works for some people.

I do not know about Cornish, but Devons have very distinctive personalities. They also seem ot have some odd common traits. They love to ride around on your shoulder like a parrot. They are frequently superior to humans and have no use for us. Their behavior is described as impsih or more like a monkey than a cat.

Our Devon certianly does not recognize she is a cat. She is something far more regal, like a dragon. She clearly imagines herself to be a dragon at times.

Our Devon is afraid of our birds (the big ones, she woudl eat the finches if she could), but she sneaks up on and attacks our mastiff as a game. She hunts and sometimes eats mice, bugs, spiders, wild birds, even a couple of rabbits.

Devons also have a prehensile tail. They use it like a hand. They wrap it around you when the sit on you, or around your arm...

Both our Devon and my parent's have (had) very simlar personalities and are very very different from any other cat I have lived with (dozens) or visited (hundreds). It is hard to describe, but they certinaly are unique. Odd looking too. Football shaped heads with giant ears like a bat. An the fur? Well my brother calls her "roadkill"

Some female cats get really fat after being neutered. We were told Devons are especailly susceptible. This proved to be true twice anyway.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Odd looking too. Football shaped heads with giant ears like a bat. An the fur? Well my brother calls her "roadkill".
Everything you said about them makes me want one, even the roadkill fur! I've always wanted a Cornish, Devon, or Sphynx.

There are a number of rescue groups out there and they all have waiting lists. I've heard they are "velcro" and require lots of attention and handling. We have too many kitties to bring in a primadonna. But when attrition dwindles us down in number, I will definitely look for a senior that needs a home.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
both evons and cornish tend to be "needy" but devos tend to be more "silly" and "monkey like" while cornish tend to be more refined and similar to a siamese (a little bit "diva-ish" lol)
both make amazing companions for someone looking for a slightly more human orientated breed of cat.

I LOVE the fur it feels like crushed velvet (i also raise rex rabbits lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats