U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 11,377,468 times

Advertisements

During her nineteen years with me, and as recently as the occasion of her last birthday celebration, Weasie amassed a good-sized collection of toys from me and from her many fans. Once her days were numbered one of my sad duties was to find all these toys and either redistribute them to cat-owned neighbors or throw them away. Those possessions of hers (as well as other odds and ends such as the box of kitty litter that was destined to never be emptied) were parceled out to three grateful recipient households. And that was that - or so I thought.
At some stage of her life Weasie had been gifted with a package of a half-dozen toys which were about the size of golf balls - round, plastic, slotted, and complete with a small bell in the middle of each one. She racked up many hours swatting them around. In good condition despite that, they were included in the great cat toy giveaway. Little did I know that only five of the six left the house. (During that time I wasn't in any condition to count every last thing...) A month or so ago, I was astounded to hear the old, familiar sound of a jingling bell along with rolling plastic - Seteria had found the purple "bell ball" who knows where. It vanished within no more than approximately a week but is bound to turn up again at some point.
More shocking still is that Blaliko's feral-born "cat-olescent" found yet another of Weasie's toys just this past Monday. (Bear in mind that Weeze had departed this life in mid-January.) It's scarcely conceivable that this plush object about the size of a snack sausage (and with yet another little bell, secured at one end) went unnoticed for over seven months. YET...Seteria somehow somewhere discovered it.
Now more than ever I'm positive that Weasie does live on in a spiritual form. Recently I'd gone through a reality check when I finally accepted that she hadn't really passed away at the vet clinic while with me. (She'd been sedated for euthanasia, and had lapsed into unconsciousness, when we parted company. But if for some strange reason the lethal injection hadn't taken hold she would've revived.) Seteria's finding of the second toy couldn't be anything other than a rebuke from "the other side" for being skeptical that Weasie still exists.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 AM

6,196 posts, read 12,654,751 times

Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 AM

32,403 posts, read 59,899,964 times
I wouldn't be surprised if your new kitties find more of Weasie's toys! They do get stashed everywhere. Weasie will guide them to the toys, have no fear.

One of my cats' favorite toys is a mouse handed down by Bear, my late spouse's cat, who died when the current felines in residence were abandoned kittens we took into our basement. They just found it one day; we had no idea where.

I always have looked upon the timing of their arrival in our backyard, just as Bear really started to show the effects of a heart ailment, as an act of Providence. We weren't intending to keep the kittens until Bear died. I like to think that poor Bear knew he was ill, and wished that a new cat (or cats!) would take our minds off his passing. He saw that these two kittens would take good care of us, and that made it easier for him to let go. And indeed they have taken good care of us -- they kept my spouse company when he was so ill, and now they give me a reason to come home.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,915,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'm positive that Weasie does live on in a spiritual form. Recently I'd gone through a reality check when I finally accepted that she hadn't really passed away at the vet clinic while with me. (She'd been sedated for euthanasia, and had lapsed into unconsciousness, when we parted company. But if for some strange reason the lethal injection hadn't taken hold she would've revived.) Seteria's finding of the second toy couldn't be anything other than a rebuke from "the other side" for being skeptical that Weasie still exists.
Yes, she may still be with you in spiritual form. It's a comforting thought.

When my friend's feeble old Main Coon cat passed away, she had her cremated wrapped in her favorite blanket and with her favorite toys. They thought they should go with her. :*(

She was a breeder of purebred MCs and had several champions. Sadly, she passed away a few years ago and I still miss our hours of "cat talk" over the phone in the evenings.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM

4,751 posts, read 11,377,468 times
Not everyone may have kept track of Blaliko's and Seteria's history with me, so here goes: Blaliko first appeared, little more than a cat-olescent herself, on my property during July of last year. She and Weasie had a few territorial skirmishes which I tried to resolve by reassuring Weeze that her territory was still hers. (Due to the number of feral cats in the neighborhood I'd taken to leaving a "feeding station" and water cooler on the porch for them.)
Before I could catch the new arrival (another feral cat ended up TNR'd instead) she went out and had herself some "whoopie" that resulted in 6 kittens. Eventually Blaliko, who had long since been named, was captured and spayed. And five of the six kittens were also caught in time for them to be fostered and re-homed. That left the elusive Seteria, who wasn't brought into custody until I corralled her in the house in mid-July. She's also now considering my place to be her home base although she's yet to shake her "feral" behaviors from being born outdoors. (Progress is being made slowly but surely.)
Point being: When Weasie was diagnosed with her terminal liver cancer, as best as could be determined it was estimated that she was first stricken in...mid-July. It's an eerie but not surprising coincidence, especially in light of what Ohiogirl81 shared upthread. Blaliko - no matter whence she came and how she ended up "stray" - was somehow led to our house and compelled to stick around. (She gave birth elsewhere and transported her babies to at least a half-dozen different locations, but eventually - after three were already caught - brought them to my property. And there she stayed even two more kittens were taken away.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats