Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 AM

150 posts, read 297,852 times

Advertisements

As cat lovers I imagine a lot of you watch this Saturday Animal Planet TV show. I know I do, and do enjoy it. I thought this might be an appropriate place to discuss it with others.
First, what do you think of the show and the techniques used to assist the situation of those seeking Jackson Galaxy's help? Often he advised people to play with the cats using dangling feathers, etc. on strings that the owners move with a stick. Engaging the cats like this seem to help a lot of situations. My husband has started playing with our youngest cat this way as a result.
Its funny that the problem often seems to be not the cat, but the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
I watched the show a few times and it seems a little repetitious. My cats, all three of them, will not play with any kind of cat toys anymore. They've even grown a bit tired of the laser light. But then my cats aren't a problem.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I enjoy the show; I've learned a lot about cat psychology and what they want and need. It also reinforces how I engage my own cats. It's fun to watch, too.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I love Jackson. I watch the show - though I'm not a big follower of it, I just catch it now and then. In most cases I just feel sorry for the cats that they are all in such terrible homes with crappy owners! They would probably never be "bad cats" in better homes I think Jackson is more of a people fixer than a cat fixer LOL

Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM

26 posts, read 117,349 times
I like the show. I don't know anything about cats except I like to pet them if they will let me. But my sister had a cat that attacked her in her house one night in the wee hours. She had gotten up to use the bathroom & their cat ran down the hall & latched on to her leg calf & when she got him off here he came again. They had to give up the cat asap because she is not a young woman & is on blood thinners & blood pressure meds. They had the cat over a year so none of us is sure why he decided to go after her at that particular time.
It broke her heart to give him up but was assured he would go to a good home. I think cats can really hurt a person when they attack them so sometimes you never know what to do. But staying safe is always a priority in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM

21 posts, read 59,127 times
I love this show. It amazes me that so many of the owners of male cats that have not been neutered do not understand why they are not using the litter box!
That is just basic cat knowledge!!

In most cases, it really is the owner's fault that the cats on the show are misbehaving.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM

150 posts, read 297,852 times
When he walks into a home, and the cats aren't spayed or neutered...first thing he does is get that out of the way. Smart thinking. Why these owners don't get to that idea on their own, I don't know.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM

335 posts, read 619,696 times
I have never seen the show, but saw some videos. I thought it was very interesting how he described what it feels like to a cat when we just come after them, like when they are hiding under a bed. The part about giving the cat your hand (face down) and letting the cat rub on you, rather than you rub them, made a lot of sense. I do that with Luna, who is very skittish about being picked up and petted. I do think it helps a bit.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I watch this show all the time and even though I do not have a cat right now, I have learned a lot and will use it when/if I get a cat. I love Jackson Galaxy and think he is great. Just like the Dog Whisperer, most of the problems are related to the owners and what they are doing wrong than the animal itself.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
I love Jackson. I watch the show - though I'm not a big follower of it, I just catch it now and then. In most cases I just feel sorry for the cats that they are all in such terrible homes with crappy owners! They would probably never be "bad cats" in better homes I think Jackson is more of a people fixer than a cat fixer LOL
I agree! I watch it from time to time if I come across it, and the owners just leave me saying, "wow---how in the world is Jackson going to deal with these people?!" He's very patient, even when people don't do their "homework", which most of the crappy owners don't do. Some of the people are really strange, I remember one show recently when the daughter and her cat were living with the mom and her two tiny dogs----the mom had spoiled the dogs to such an extreme she fed them water from a baby bottle and they wore diapers! The mom was convinced the daughter's cat was going to kill her precious babies. That was one of the oddest shows ever! I've always seen a happy ending to the show, but I wish there was a follow-up months later to see if these people really keep up with Jackson's advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats