Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM

6,793 posts, read 8,991,972 times

Advertisements

I just took my two 7 year old males in for teeth cleaning. You could ask, if I'm nervous about it, why let the vet do it? I think it's necessary, and helpful, and I trust the vet. I'm just a little worried about the anesthesia and whether that will make the cats dehydrated? I have one cat that had problems in the past because he doesn't drink enough water. The other cat was adopted and returned to the shelter before I adopted him. I'm convinced that he thinks he's going back to the shelter every time we take him to the vet. He won't be happy when he wakes up and he's in a little cage at the vet's office.

At least one of them is getting some teeth extracted because of small cavities. It's possible the other will need extractions also. I'm not too excited that I'll have to give them antibiotics for 5 days. I want them to be healthy. I just know they won't like it!

Maybe I'm just over thinking this and they will be just fine. I just need some reassurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,802,123 times
My two 11 yo Ragdolls need this done but I'm too scared to do it. Am I wrong. Langley actually has to shift wet food around from side to side in his mouth and I wonder if his teeth are bothering him. But he is healthy, has a good appetite and I don't want to rock the boat. Oscar is just now regaining some weight and I wouldn't put him or me through that drama. I do have my dogs teeth cleaned but Lucy is now 11 and i would be nervous about that at this point.

i hope your babies get though it well. Keep us posted as many of us are worried too.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 AM

575 posts, read 1,985,209 times
You're doing the right thing Dental care is very important. Especially if you think your kitties need extractions, you can't let that go.

Both of your babies will be fine - you trust your veterinarian to care for them. If you let them know that one had a bit of previous difficulty with anesthesia then I'm sure they will take any precautions they feel that they need to. And I'm certain the other boy knows that you are not taking him back to the shelter. Many cats do not like to travel or go to the vet - I'm sure he knows he is in a different home, a loving home with you and all will be fine.

Having worked for a vet before I can tell you from my own experiences that they are not going to just wake up in a small cage alone. Your vet staff will keep a good eye on them I know at my vet (not one I worked for) the post surgical cages were right out in the open where the staff could see everyone all the time. They were not just off in some back room.

I myself have someone from my "crew" at the vet for a cleaning about every year. Each one comes around about every 3 years or so depending on each individuals dental needs. It's nerve racking every time LOL.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,198,084 times
Had the same concerns and kept stalling for years in spite of the vet's urging that my cat badly needed dental care. A month ago things came to a head. My now 13 year old girl was at the vet for another issue, and again dental care came up. When the vet examined her mouth was horrified when one of her teeth just popped out in the vet's fingers, and that did it, gave the go ahead. My major fear had been anesthesia, would my old cat just never wake up again? Was reassured when informed that newer modern forms were safer than were older gases. To sum it up, everything went smoothly, all went well. When I picked her up she alert, and while a bit sluggish for a couple of days, everything is fine.

Should mention that complete dental care at a good vet is very expensive. Bloodwork and xrays are required beforehand, and there is anesthesia, extractions, and finally cleaning and polishing, as well as a few other odds and ends, all of which adds up to pretty hefty charges. However, glad to have done it, since poor dental health can cause other problems in your cat. If my 13 year old can breeze through it, any younger cats should have no problems whatsoever.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 AM

So the procedure is done and vet called to give me an update. Duke had two teeth extracted and Donald had none. She said both cats are fine, but Duke, my orange tabby, had a low heart rate. They had to give him medicine during the procedure and do some kind of massage in his anal region? I'm not sure I heard her right but I'm pretty sure that's what she said!!!

Should I be worried if I ever need to bring him in again for teeth cleaning or any other anesthesia? Or, since they've documented this condition now, will they be more aware and careful the next time he comes in, do you think?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,097,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So the procedure is done and vet called to give me an update. Duke had two teeth extracted and Donald had none. She said both cats are fine, but Duke, my orange tabby, had a low heart rate. They had to give him medicine during the procedure and do some kind of massage in his anal region? I'm not sure I heard her right but I'm pretty sure that's what she said!!!

Should I be worried if I ever need to bring him in again for teeth cleaning or any other anesthesia? Or, since they've documented this condition now, will they be more aware and careful the next time he comes in, do you think?
Your vet sounds very competent, and followed protocol exactly! I worked at a vet clinic for several years, and what you described was a common occurance for older kitties. Sounds like your babies are in good hands!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Your vet sounds very competent, and followed protocol exactly! I worked at a vet clinic for several years, and what you described was a common occurance for older kitties. Sounds like your babies are in good hands!
Thanks, that's very reassuring. I do trust her and she was highly recommended by a friend.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,229,305 times
ZITSKI, Probably the anal thing on your cat was expelling fluid that can collect in sort of pouches in that area, so it was unrelated to the dental. My cat lived to be 20 years old, more and more are, so your cats will need another dental before then! As for whether the vet will remember next time with what went on with the low blood pressure cat, you can remind them each and every time you bring that cat in for anything. Could be the medicine they gave him was an I.V. of fluids and something to bolster his blood pressure like perhaps a steroid.

NOKUDZU, Your ragdolls are still relatively "young" (see what I just wrote), and I DO think you should do it! I'm crazy about ragdolls, but never had privilege of owning one, so that's why I'm jumping in on this. As for anesthesia, they can use gas on your cats and regulate how much they give (correct me if I'm wrong KITTYMOM). Also, keep in mind bad teeth can cause kidney problems in animals, which is not good. As for your dog at age 11, I too had two dogs aged 14 when they passed, and the last two or three years, I did not allow the vet to do dentals on them anymore, I too was concerned about the wisdom of knocking out an older dog. But for anyone else who reads this, this owner has given dentals to her dogs, but if a dog has never had a dental, I'd do it even if they were older. It is VERY sad to see the inside of an older dog's mouth that hasn't had a dental. If you've ever had a toothache, that's what it's like for them.

I too in general worry about taking my pets to a decidedly involved "surgery," and while one dog we owned since he was a pup, the other was an adoption of a dog who had been left at a vet because the owner didn't want it anymore, so that dog I worried the first time or two I took her in for various procedures. But the other dog who we raised from a pup, he trusted us so much that he thought it was just another day at camp.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,509,196 times
It's normal to be concerned, but sometimes it is necessary. An extraction on one of our girls ended a lifeling eye infection. Yeah - it wasn't the eye at all, but the tooth. Wish I had opted for it sooner!

As for the anal thing, the anal glands were likely impacted or clogged. Better to have that done while out cold!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,823,718 times
I'm facing doing a dental on both the cats very soon. Robin will be done at our local vet. Because Jonas has suffered a cardiac arrest during surgery before he'll be going over to the Specialty Center in DE.

Jonas has undergone seven surgical procedures in his life. He's been perfectly time every time but the first (and he was a very sick little kitten back then) and I still get scared to death every time. However, I know dirty teeth could affect his kidneys and heart, so for his sake I have to deal with my fear and just do everything I can to make it safer.

OP, I know your kitties already had the procedure, but for the future here are some things you can do to make it safer

* Insist on a pre-surgical exam and bloodwork. For older kitties, consider a cardiac work-up as well. These will catch any problems before your kitty goes under

* Make sure your vet will place a catheter during the procedure. This allows quick access to a vein in case your pet needs medication

* Ask about giving fluids during the procedure- this will avoid the risk of dehydration. For older cats, talk to your vet about running fluids both before and after the procedure

* Talk to your vet about what anesthesia drugs they intend to use. Dentals should be done under gas anesthesia. Do not let a vet talk you into doing an 'awake dental'- they are not effective

* Make sure your vet will be monitoring your pet's heart rate, pulse ox, and blood pressure

* Ask about using a sealant on the teeth after the procedure. This will help lengthen the time between dentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats