Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

My cat was treated w/ I-131 for Hyperthyroidism back in April. She is normal Thyroid levels now. But her last bld wk had High Cholesterol of 384 on nonfasting test. Vet said no worry as nonfasting can just show her food eaten. But I worry of kidney issues down rd from Hyperthyroid thus this concern.

I have her on Merrick BF Grainfree Chicken, some Weruva (not much), some Nat. Bal. (Chick. & Greenpea flavor) & Earthborn's Chick. Cacc. grainfree cans. ALL these are cans - no dry food at all, & she isn't a big fan of any of 'em .

So, if I go NV Frozen Raw Medallions is Chicken or Rabbit (my worry w/ Rabbit is it is still sourced in China, as USA won't allow Rabbit to be made here for some reason in US) the better choice? I know in hign cholesterol diets, fat is needed to be low & less than 10% of her diet. Rabbit has 8% fat but 13% protein = needed very much, I know. The Chicken is only 6% fat & 13% protein per serv. I think the Omega fat profile is bit better overall for Rabbitt but unsure here.

Ok guys, what is the call? Thx

Last edited by movintime; 09-24-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I would start with the chicken. Introduce slowly, small amounts to start. You may need some kind of garnish to encourage her to even taste it. I use forti flora and/or Vet's-Best hairball relief tablets(crumbled to dust) as toppers. I am feeding Rad Cat though, not Nature's Variety.

Remember that the actual protein and fat has to be figured on a dry matter basis (DMB).

Be aware that Nature's Variety's frozen raw are not single protein foods. The Chicken also contains turkey (unless you are using the organic chicken). The rabbit also contains pork products.

Nature's Variety: Instinct Raw Frozen Diets for Cats and Dogs | Nature's Variety

Let us know how she likes it. Two of my three LOVE the Rad Cat Raw, chicken lamb and turkey. My struvite kitty has been slow to accept it, but she's doing well with the chicken now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats