U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,233,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Canned food only. Can't stress it enough. Canned food only! The canned 'prescription' diets are slightly better than the dry, so you could start with them. After his next urinalysis if all comes back normal you could try weaning him off onto a high quality commercial canned.

But whether you stick to 'prescription' foods or not, feed him canned foods only. Stop all dry food, including 'prescription' foods. No dry.
I have a confession to make: Our neutered male (neutered at 10 months when I got him) got urinary crystals at about age 5 1/2. I had always fed mostly wet, but darn it, don't they all love the Royal Canin adult fit dry? He would eat it off the wet (Natural Balance and Wellness) and he did eat some of the wet, but then he grabbed everybody else's dry. I always have used about 80% wet and 20% dry. Well, he was put on Royal Canin S/0 and refused to eat the wet so I had to give him the dry. For 3 years he ate that almost exclusively. No blockage. I said to myself, hell, he can eat Natural Balance wet which I feel is better than most cat foods and now I give that to him with some NB dry to keep him happy.

(Another topic: I am being bullied by my cats! Someone please help me! They stare me down and bump against me, get on my lap and chest in not so friendly a way till they get some dry on top of that wet. I am wanting to cut out all dry but am a victim of Cat Being a Bully Syndrome.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
JJ was on a high quality grain free wet food diet from day one. He's never eaten a nibble of dry food in his life. I knew about the dangers of dry food and carbs with cats, and never wanted JJ to be like the cats I saw urinating blood at the clinic.

Despite this, he STILL developed crystals and symptoms like straining. Diet DOES play a huge role in urinary issues, I don't dispute that. But it isn't as simple as you're making it out to be...a grain free diet does not guarantee crystals will never develop.

What an interesting post! Thanks for writing that. (My cat had blockage once.)

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I have a confession to make: Our neutered male (neutered at 10 months when I got him) got urinary crystals at about age 5 1/2. I had always fed mostly wet, but darn it, don't they all love the Royal Canin adult fit dry? He would eat it off the wet (Natural Balance and Wellness) and he did eat some of the wet, but then he grabbed everybody else's dry. I always have used about 80% wet and 20% dry. Well, he was put on Royal Canin S/0 and refused to eat the wet so I had to give him the dry. For 3 years he ate that almost exclusively. No blockage. I said to myself, hell, he can eat Natural Balance wet which I feel is better than most cat foods and now I give that to him with some NB dry to keep him happy.

(Another topic: I am being bullied by my cats! Someone please help me! They stare me down and bump against me, get on my lap and chest in not so friendly a way till they get some dry on top of that wet. I am wanting to cut out all dry but am a victim of Cat Being a Bully Syndrome.)
Hey, if that's what it gets them to eat the wet.....Try crushing the dry into powder, then you can get away with giving them even less of it on top of their wet and maybe even wean them completely off it eventually.

My struvite kitty was on the Hills c/d kibble for 6 1/2 years. While she liked other canned foods, they didn't like her, and she hated the c/d "prescription" canned. When it became obvious that the food was making her sicker in other ways, with constant regurgitation, constipation, dull heavily shedding coat, no energy, I knew I had to get her off it, for good.

It took a long time to find a canned food that she would eat, that she could eat, there was improvement, but it made me anxious feeding her only one thing all the time, but any variety in her diet brought on regurgitation again. Her digestion was, I feared, permanently ruined by the years on that c/d kibble.

Now she is eating about 1/3 of her food in raw. And THAT took a very very long time, to even get her to taste it, let alone eat it and like it. Once she started eating raw, her digestion improved greatly, and now she enjoys 3 different canned foods (all chicken though) and her raw food. Her urinary tract problems have not returned.

By a long time I mean this transition has taken close to a year to get to this point.But what else do I have with her but time, after all.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Hey, if that's what it gets them to eat the wet.....Try crushing the dry into powder, then you can get away with giving them even less of it on top of their wet and maybe even wean them completely off it eventually.

My struvite kitty was on the Hills c/d kibble for 6 1/2 years. While she liked other canned foods, they didn't like her, and she hated the c/d "prescription" canned. When it became obvious that the food was making her sicker in other ways, with constant regurgitation, constipation, dull heavily shedding coat, no energy, I knew I had to get her off it, for good.

It took a long time to find a canned food that she would eat, that she could eat, there was improvement, but it made me anxious feeding her only one thing all the time, but any variety in her diet brought on regurgitation again. Her digestion was, I feared, permanently ruined by the years on that c/d kibble.

Now she is eating about 1/3 of her food in raw. And THAT took a very very long time, to even get her to taste it, let alone eat it and like it. Once she started eating raw, her digestion improved greatly, and now she enjoys 3 different canned foods (all chicken though) and her raw food. Her urinary tract problems have not returned.

By a long time I mean this transition has taken close to a year to get to this point.But what else do I have with her but time, after all.
How do you feed raw? What method, brand, etc.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
How do you feed raw? What method, brand, etc.
I feed a combination of commercial frozen raw, freeze dried raw (re-hydrated) homemade prey-model (80/10/5/5)**, and canned food.

I use Stella&Chewy's freeze dried

Rad Cat frozen (ground food)

I started with commercial raw. Each cat took to it at her own speed. Struvite Kitty was the slowest to be convinced, at first she wouldn't even eat her canned food, if I put a little Rad Cat raw next to it. It has taken her almost 3 months from the first time I offered it to her to where she is today: she eats 1 ounce of Rad Cat a day, either chicken or turkey, (she won't eat the lamb) without any garnish at all. She eats about .2 (point 2) ounce of small pieces of cut up meat from whatever the other two are having as their prey-model meal of the day. Those two took to raw like they'd always been eating it.

Once the Rad Cat was accepted, I started buying meat and offering small pieces, and then as those were accepted, chunks.

I buy the meat from the grocery store, cut it up into one ounce chunks and freeze it in ice cube trays, then store it in freezer bags. I do this with the organ meat (only liver so far, still looking for a source for kidney) too. They eat (so far) chicken gizzard, chicken heart, chicken thigh, chicken breast, turkey thigh, turkey breast, beef, cornish hen. Instead of bone, I supplement with egg shell calcium. I supplement with taurine too, though it probably isn't necessary. They also get krill oil a few times a week, and a probiotic daily.

Because I don't trust ANY diet 100% I will always feed a combination of commercial raw, home made raw, and commercial canned.

**80/10/5/5 is percentages in the diet. 80 % muscle meat, 10% bone (or calcium supplement) 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ

To bring this back on topic, meat, real, raw meat, is of course, what obligate carnivores are designed to eat. Meat will keep the urine at the proper acidity to help prevent the type of problems cats are developing more and more these days on kibble diets. But raw feeding is not for everyone, and it is very important that it be balanced properly.(and it is a lot of work, don't believe anyone who says it isn't, LOL)

So a canned diet, any canned, is the place to start, moisture being the very most important thing. From there, you want a canned diet that is low in carbohydrates and high in meat protein, not grain.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,551,827 times
my little boy had the same problem, had alot o crystals. the vet had up put him on rx food, urinary so by royal canin. now that is all he will eat. we were getting the urinary so wet food too, but he wont eat it any more! what is wrong with the urinary SO dry food? the cat drinks alot of water so he seems ok with just the dry food diet.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
my little boy had the same problem, had alot o crystals. the vet had up put him on rx food, urinary so by royal canin. now that is all he will eat. we were getting the urinary so wet food too, but he wont eat it any more! what is wrong with the urinary SO dry food? the cat drinks alot of water so he seems ok with just the dry food diet.
It's dry, that is what is wrong with it. A cat cannot drink enough water to remain properly hydrated on a dry diet. The urine will always be too concentrated, the kidneys will always have to work too hard, no matter how much he appears to be drinking, it can't be enough.

Cats, as obligate carnivores, are designed by nature to get their moisture from their food. Not with it or after it, from it. This means canned or raw.

In addition, the RC Urinary SO dry is corn heavy, so very high in carbohydrates. This adds yet even another risk, diabetes.

A dry diet is so incredibly inappropriate for a cat with urinary tract problems it really boggles the mind that these foods are prescribed by the attending vet.

I fell for it too, so don't feel bad. Even though I've always known cats need a wet diet and all my cats have been fed canned food up until my Struvite Kitty came along. She had some trouble with struvite, a few infections, and was put on prescription food. Though she loves wet food, she wouldn't eat the prescription wet, so for 6 1/2 years she ate that corn laden dry junk. As the years passed and her coat got duller, her energy level decreased, controlling her weight became a struggle, and then the constipation and regurgitation got worse, I knew I had to get her off it. Her digestion was so messed up by the years on that corn junk, I didn't think she'd ever recover.

it's been 10 months now, since getting her on a canned diet, and 2 months since adding some raw, and she is finally starting to do much better.

Anyway, back to your kitty. What was he eating, when his urinary tract problem first started?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 6,168 times
Quote:
Canned food only. Can't stress it enough. Canned food only! The canned 'prescription' diets are slightly better than the dry, so you could start with them. After his next urinalysis if all comes back normal you could try weaning him off onto a high quality commercial canned.

But whether you stick to 'prescription' foods or not, feed him canned foods only. Stop all dry food, including 'prescription' foods. No dry.
Day 1 home from the vet -- wet food only but now he has terrible diarrhea! what now? thanks.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Probiotics...a teaspoon of plain kefir. Kefir has no lactose, but tons of good gut flora.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 6,168 times
I've tried both of those before and he wouldn't eat but I will try again. Guess I'm wondering how long this diarrhea is going to last and how long it will take his tummy to make the transition to all wet. Gave him some pumpkin today. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats