Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,049 times

Advertisements

So, I just found out by reading a cat magazine that my cat is a "wool sucker"!! I didn't know this was a real thing, my cat will put a piece of blanket in her mouth while she kneads the blanket. When she first did this, we thought maybe she might've been weaned too soon, she doesn't do it often or for very long, but we don't stop her from doing it.
Anyone else's cat do this? Do you stop it, or just let him/her do it? According to the article there can be several reason for the behavior: too early weaned, anxiety, etc. and it suggests to discourage it. Mostly in cats 1 year old and younger, but my cat is 4.
any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
We use fleece sheets year round. Josette "nurses" when I am in bed and usually there is the sheet between us. So, I guess you can say that she is "fleece sucking." She is now two and I let her do it.

Cat

Old 04-08-2016, 04:16 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,049 times
its funny, she only started doing it when I bought a particular blanket.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:41 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Guess I'm just a "bad mama". My boy, Buttons, is a "wool sucker". I got him when he was 2 weeks old, an abandoned litter. I bottle fed him for 2-3 weeks. He's been a kneader/sucker ever since. Funny, I thought I had done a good job raising him, now I find out its a sign of anxiety/stress? Well, guess I could have done better/worse. Same as with my human kids. Could have done better/worse, maybe shouldn't have tried to begin with.

Next time I see an abandoned animal, I will just move on. After all, I didn't do so hot with Buttons! Geez, when psycho-babble even extends to parenting cats, well, maybe its time to just quit the whole "parenting" crap

FWIW, my "human" baby was adopted from an orphanage in Russia. He was abandoned at birth and was about a year old when we adopted him. He was suffering from attachment disorder, which has many of the same symptoms and outward manifestations of a child who has suffered abuse/neglect. Well, few people are familiar with Attachment Disorder, but, of course, EVERYONE knows the symptoms of abuse/neglect. We were turned over to CPS sooooooo many times it became a matter of if, not when, the next investigation would occur. Of course, each investigation furthers the suspicions placed on the family. My ds is now grown and out-of-the-house. I feel a complete failure as a parent, mainly because of the constant suspicion I was under. Now I find out I can't even raise a cat right!

Buttons is getting old, we will be moving soon, perhaps just have him PTS and put him out of his misery? Funny, I thought he was happy, now I find out he's been "crying for help" by wool-sucking, just like my kids were "crying for help" when I thought they were doing ok. You never know what you are/have done until you are judged by others......

Last edited by MaryleeII; 04-08-2016 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,634 times
Our 8 month old does this. She loves fleece blankets and would immediately starts sucking on it while kneading, purring very softly you could barely hear it. We let her be as she was not eating or destroying the blanket. Also, she looks so... content. She was found as a feral kitten by animal control, at less than 2 months old and weighing less than 2 lbs. She left her mom and siblings at such an early age. Every time we see her do this, we like to believe it gives her some of that nostalgic comfort of back when she was with her mom and siblings.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:49 AM

96 posts, read 336,813 times
My youngest does that. He was about 8 weeks old when I found him outside. He's now 2 1/2 years old. Didn't really start doing it often until about a year ago. No changes in environment to stress him out. Most likely just from being away from his mom at too young of an age. They pick certain blankets because of the texture. Soft like mom. It's nothing that you did wrong. Just happens. I don't stop him from doing it. If it makes him feel better and keeps him happy, so be it. It's just a little slobber. Not the worst thing any of mine do!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:25 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
We've had a few wool suckers. But one Siamese would chew giant HOLES in my afghans, mittens, etc. I had my mother repair so many afghans, it wasn't funny. We had to keep him away from any and all wool (natural or acrylic were both his targets). He did not bother other types of fabric. Right now, I have a male who eats giant holes in any and all fabric; we have to keep him in a fabric-free room at all times.

I don't know that it's always a sign of anxiety or being weaned too soon, or any other "issue". My wool-suckers by and large have seemed to randomly start doing it, and otherwise seemed happy and healthy. The would even knead while doing it.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
I/ve found when they knead and suck they are hungry Kneading is how the kitten starts the mother's milk flow, so its a leftover memory.

We always have kibble available, but sometimes they just want something more!

Old 04-09-2016, 03:06 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
When I first got some of my older ones, they kneaded much more and they occasionally sucked. Now, it's rare. Maybe they've forgotten. Maybe they're not hungry since they always have dry food available. The two young ones don't knead at all; too independent I think as they were from a feral litter.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I/ve found when they knead and suck they are hungry Kneading is how the kitten starts the mother's milk flow, so its a leftover memory.

We always have kibble available, but sometimes they just want something more!

I don't think so. We always have food available and she knows where it is. She only does it when we are in bed. I think it is kitten/mommy thing. She wants to be cuddled by her mommy (me ). I should say that she only sucks the blanket when it is next to me. I always thought that the fleece blanket reminds her of her mama's underbelly.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats