Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, my beloved fuzzy muggins Edgar yowled this morning when i picked him up, and i took him to the vet within minutes (he is just a few minutes away) and they told me it was a blockage of his urinary tract. they did bloodwork, which was clear, and the urinalysis will come back tomorrow, and i brought him home for the evening. he peed a bunch at the vets, but the vet was concerned because when he inserted the catheter into his urethra there was a blockage that he could feel and it took a bit to get it in there.

i know this is a common problem in male cats, but i am wondering, how many of you out there had to have the surgery? i looked at the P.U. thread on here, but i was wondering if this is a given or not. I had to borrow almost a thousand for my boss for today's visit, and i am wondering if this surgery is something that happens half the time, 20 percent of the time- wondering if there are any happy stories of recovery after we change his diet. money is no object, it wouldn't matter what it took, but i am definitely curious at to other's experiences.

he also seems lethargic tonight, not walking well, has peed a couple of times and eaten plenty. i am sure the not walking well part probably has to do with the soreness of his bladder and stuff, but i am worried sick, nonetheless. also i am poor as a church mouse and this effectively ruins me financially, but if it means a happy cat, i don't care if i never get out of debt. any advice or opinions or comfort would be so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
If you are feeding ANY dry...stop. Dry food is almost ALWAYS the culprit of blockages. Read this website from top to bottom. She will explain why dry food is not a specieces appropriate diet. She will explain how to transition a dry kibble addict to grain free and low carb canned diet. She will explain how often PU surgery is not necessary.
Written by a vet:www.Catinfo.org

Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
If you are feeding ANY dry...stop. Dry food is almost ALWAYS the culprit of blockages. Read this website from top to bottom. She will explain why dry food is not a specieces appropriate diet. She will explain how to transition a dry kibble addict to grain free and low carb canned diet. She will explain how often PU surgery is not necessary.
Written by a vet:Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
THANK YOU!!!!!! i have another question for folks as well, about him being outdoors- i am amending my original post to include that, so if you have any insight on that i would love to hear your opinion!!!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 PM

well, it wouldn't let me amend it= but the vet said that he felt that i needed to keep him inside from now on. now, understand- i live in a small, cozy, elegant schoolbus (yes, a schoolbus) that is parked on an estate with a victorian next to me. the yard is fenced in, and he was born here as a stray. he seems sooooo happy, with all of his little hiding places and my roommates who love him and dote on him. he has such a good life here, and i really think changing his diet (especially since reading all the above) is going to be the answer for what is ailing him.he has been on a dry diet since i got him, and i feed him a can of wet food for a treat about once a week. i am definitely going to change these habits and started tonight. the vet wanted to make sure that he is monitored properly, which i will for however long he thinks best, but i balk at keeping edgar in the bus all the time, all of his normal life suddenly changed. he is totally safe here and comfortable and i just don't feel like this is the answer. thoughts?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Stress can certainly make things worse. The yard is fenced in, and he can't get out and no dangers can get in? So that is really just an extension of the home, right? Perhaps your vet is just concerned about you being able to watch him for signs of a repeat block. Does he always toilet inside, in his litter box so you can observe these habits?

I would keep him in until he is feeling better, at least.

I hope getting him on the canned diet right away will be the answer for your boy, and he will need no further action. However depending on the cause of the blockage, struvite or oxalate stones, further treatment may be necessary, in addition to the canned diet (no fish, and as low carbs as you can find. There is a food chart on Dr Pierson's website listing many foods and their carbohydrate percentage)

Some stones need to be removed surgically. (NOT the same as the PU surgery). If he continues to have trouble, an x ray will need to be done to see what's in his bladder.

All paws crossed for Edgar.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Stress can certainly make things worse. The yard is fenced in, and he can't get out and no dangers can get in? So that is really just an extension of the home, right? Perhaps your vet is just concerned about you being able to watch him for signs of a repeat block. Does he always toilet inside, in his litter box so you can observe these habits?

I would keep him in until he is feeling better, at least.

I hope getting him on the canned diet right away will be the answer for your boy, and he will need no further action. However depending on the cause of the blockage, struvite or oxalate stones, further treatment may be necessary, in addition to the canned diet (no fish, and as low carbs as you can find. There is a food chart on Dr Pierson's website listing many foods and their carbohydrate percentage)

Some stones need to be removed surgically. (NOT the same as the PU surgery). If he continues to have trouble, an x ray will need to be done to see what's in his bladder.

All paws crossed for Edgar.
By the way, why no fish? A really top licensed vet tech who does rescue told me that, too. And yet all of these companies sell canned fish cat food: Weruva (I have some tuna and veggies in a can by them on the shelf), Natural Balance (I used to use the salmon formula - the cats hate it,stopped), Solid Gold (tuna), Wellness (Chicken and Herring canned). What is going on with these companies?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
By the way, why no fish? A really top licensed vet tech who does rescue told me that, too. And yet all of these companies sell canned fish cat food: Weruva (I have some tuna and veggies in a can by them on the shelf), Natural Balance (I used to use the salmon formula - the cats hate it,stopped), Solid Gold (tuna), Wellness (Chicken and Herring canned). What is going on with these companies?
Fish sells, that's why pet food companies make it. Pet food companies do not care about the cats who eat the food, only about how much money they make.

Fish is bad for cats in general and should not be fed more than once or twice a week, if at all. It is high in histamines, and the poorer the quality of the fish, the higher the histamine content, which makes the danger of allergic reaction higher.

It should never be fed to cats with urinary tract problems. Fish is high in phosphorous, because of the bones. Most fish, especially the bottom feeders, are high in heavy metals (mercury). A high phosphurous diet is not good for a cat with urinary tract problems.

A cat's healthy urine pH is between 6 and 6.5. The cat, as an obligate carnivore, is designed by nature to keep this healthy pH by eating meat, with a health balance of organ and bone, and little or no carbohydrates. Too many carbs raise the pH, causing alkaline urine, which struvite will thrive in.

The first consideration should be moisture. After that, the protein source should be considered, it should be mostly from meat, not grains. The higher the fat, the lower the protein.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
well, it wouldn't let me amend it= but the vet said that he felt that i needed to keep him inside from now on. now, understand- i live in a small, cozy, elegant schoolbus (yes, a schoolbus) that is parked on an estate with a victorian next to me. the yard is fenced in, and he was born here as a stray. he seems sooooo happy, with all of his little hiding places and my roommates who love him and dote on him. he has such a good life here, and i really think changing his diet (especially since reading all the above) is going to be the answer for what is ailing him.he has been on a dry diet since i got him, and i feed him a can of wet food for a treat about once a week. i am definitely going to change these habits and started tonight. the vet wanted to make sure that he is monitored properly, which i will for however long he thinks best, but i balk at keeping edgar in the bus all the time, all of his normal life suddenly changed. he is totally safe here and comfortable and i just don't feel like this is the answer. thoughts?
He can DIE if he blocks when outdoors where no one notices (he's out of sight) or if he hides, which many cats do when not feeling well. I would not allow him outdoors until you are sure his blocking problem is solved. Have you considered a cat-safe harness and taking him outside for awhile each day? As others already advised... get rid of the dry kibble and stick to canned cat food only.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:56 AM

9 posts, read 12,754 times
My 4 year old is home from 3 days with a catheter. I didn't want to give him any dry so I fed him only wet (75%+ moisture) today but now he has horrible diarrhea. Should I continue giving him a little dry food?

Old 04-03-2016, 06:53 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixkid View Post
My 4 year old is home from 3 days with a catheter. I didn't want to give him any dry so I fed him only wet (75%+ moisture) today but now he has horrible diarrhea. Should I continue giving him a little dry food?
NO!!!!! No dry. Wet/raw ONLY. Throw out the dry "food".

Add a teaspoon of plain kefir to his diet. Kefir contains no lactose, as it has been digested by the good gut flora. Kefir will repopulate the kitty's gut with the good gut flora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats