U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,697,145 times
Default Cat Losing Balance - Any Knowledge Of This?

So long story short, my cat (10 y/o) lost her balance night, and just couldn't keep her balance without falling over. So I took her to the vet, they ran tests/x-ray and everything came out 100% clean. Everything - liver, kidneys, no neurological problems, she didn't have a stroke/seizure/heart attack.

At that point, the vet just watch her and if it happens again, come back. He does think that it *could* be the start of something, but that is it is it's obvioulsy too early to be detected in the tests, since nothing is showing up.

Has anyone had this happen with their cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM

3,062 posts, read 3,987,845 times
I did with my old Siamese, but it was a stroke.

I googled it and came up with a response from a "cat expert". She suggested it may be something called vestibular syndrome - you can read more here (scroll down to read) My cat suddenly started losing his balance and falling ... - JustAnswer

Hope you figure out what is wrong and your kitty gets better soon!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM

4,185 posts, read 4,372,825 times
Most likely culprit is Vestibular disease, an infection of the inner ear. Did the vet put her on antibiotics? There is no test for stroke, so it is possible, though she is young for it. Did they check her blood pressure?

Read up on vestibular disease.

Feline Vestibular Disease: Winn Feline Foundation

Keep us posted on your kitty.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 AM

Thank you.

Yes, he did mention that Vestibular Disease, but she was cleared of that too. And he didn't put her on any antibiotics.

As of right now, she just stand seem to stand on her own. She IS moving, because I find her in different parts of the room everytime I check on her (I keep going in and spending lots of tiem with her, but I'm also leaving her alone too, so she can rest).

As of right, she is wobbly. I know she is still getting the sedation out of her system (we were there til 11:30 last night and vet said it would take a while for her to come sedation and that the head bobbing was normal because of that).

She is responding to me very well. When I pet her head, she leans in to rub against my hand, she's purrs like crazy, wags her tail. It's just killing me to see her not able to be steady.

And this happened suddenly. When I went to work Wednesday, she was fine. I came home and she seemed under the weather, which of course can be normal as we know they get like that just like we humans do. Yesterday morning she seemed a bit better, but then I got home last night and she kept falling over.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 AM

I apologize for my typos.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM

21,283 posts, read 24,396,794 times
I'm wondering if maybe she took a tumble and twisted something in her lower spine which may not be readily evident on x-ray (i.e. pinched nerve). It's definitely encouraging that (a) the extensive tests which were performed showed nothing and (b) she's otherwise content. It may be something relatively simple which will heal on its own. Keeping my paws crossed for her!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM

8,239 posts, read 6,634,523 times
I would ask for antibiotics, just in case. Also, try massaging her spine. Sounds like a neurological situation. Did she get shocked?? Is there anything that she got into? Could something have fallen on her?? A bug/spider bite. I would look all around the house, check any of her hiding spots...also check all electrical chords...My cat got a good shock once, luckily I was right there. It scared the you know what outta me...and her too. She was quite stunned acting. The Vet couldn't find anything w/ her either, even though I rushed her there, and knew exactly what had just happened. We had to watch her very carefully for a few days...I sure hope she is ok...

Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,138,460 times
My Callie had a bout of unsteady gait when she was young - on a Sunday morning. I took her to the emergency room vet, turned out she had a bad inner ear infection. They gave her meds and sent her home and she improved quite rapidly. On another note, I had a friend (human) who was in her 50's and had begun having dizzy spells and trouble keeping her balance. Long story short - she had a brain tumor and later died from it.

Wishing you the best with your kitty and please let us know what the problem turned out to be if you find out. I know how worrisome it is when your best bud is hurting, and can't exactly tell you where. Take care....

Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM

575 posts, read 564,294 times
Has she had any shots recently?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks for all your responses and well wishes

STT - my friend suggested a pinched nerve also.

Jan - I did ask about bug bites. I have a bee problem outside my door (that I never use) and mentioned to the vet that could one have come in and stung her? He said he didn't see anything. I also have a ladybug (or Asain beetle) problem and the vet said even if she did eat one, they are not toxic.

The vet saw no sign either that she and my other cat might have had a fight that could've caused that.

She seems to be ever so VERY slowly getting better. But she is not eating. Not even tuna or the juice. The vet office called to check on her and I told them this. They said wait til about 2pm (this was at 10am) and if she still hasn't eaten to call them. She may have to go back in. Right now, it appears we'll be making a trip back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats