Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the title, but it sounded funny at the time...

We have hard water. We also have one cat that only drinks out of the toilet (I know...icky).

Yes, I supply fresh drinking water.
Yes, I would love to have the lid put down after every use... but that doesn't happen.

I am looking for something to add to the toilet or tank that will help keep it clean and nice smelling. All of the stuff they sell at Walmart either contains bleach or something that sounds pretty unhealthy for my cat.

Is there some "home remedy" that others use? I'm fine if I can't find anything, but it would make my life easier if I didn't have to scrub so much all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I don't know of a product for that and I do think its gross. My SOs office cat did the same thing and he always had water out for her. He started making an effort to keep the seat down and she started drinking from her bowl...

Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Sorry about the title, but it sounded funny at the time...

We have hard water. We also have one cat that only drinks out of the toilet (I know...icky).

Yes, I supply fresh drinking water.
Yes, I would love to have the lid put down after every use... but that doesn't happen.

I am looking for something to add to the toilet or tank that will help keep it clean and nice smelling. All of the stuff they sell at Walmart either contains bleach or something that sounds pretty unhealthy for my cat.

Is there some "home remedy" that others use? I'm fine if I can't find anything, but it would make my life easier if I didn't have to scrub so much all the time.
Vinegar is your friend here.

Won't hurt the cat but the cat won't like it so maybe they'll use the water bowl for their drinks!!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i agree with the vinegar, id use Apple cider vinegar to be presice, its actually GOOD to drink and will help break down the limescale and such.
i would ry to keep the lid down and mabe look into getting a cat fountain or leaving a faucet on a slow drip to encorage drinking, cat waterbowls are often too small and cats are SERIOUSLY picky about water quality...toilet water is actually often "fresher" (due to frequent flushing and larger volume) than whats in their bowls. but running a fountain or leaving a faucet set to a slow but steady drip cat has acess to constant FRESH running water which encorages drinking.
by giving him an alternative fresh drinking source he may decide the toilet is no loger the bar to drink at :P

Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
water....

Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Make it happen.

Even severely defective humans can be trained.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I agree - you just have to start ensuring you put that lid down. Every time. Not only is it a gross habit for the kitties, but it's a danger. Even adult cats have been known to drown. They fall in - the lid comes down and they can get stuck.

As far as cleaning and keeping something in it I get you with the water problems. You can use one of those disposable brushes - I refuse to keep a nasty toilet brush around my house. I find the paper ones don't work but the sponge type are okay. If what's in the bush isn't working for you then add some baking soda or some Bar Keepers Friend (available most places) as it's slightly abrasive and will help scrub. I use that stuff on my tub

I do not put anything in my tank or bowl to stay in the water because the health risks are too severe if anyone should get into the water. A super clean potty isn't worth a dead cat. Just clean the toilet yourself.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
I've found that our cats will not drink from a bowl of water more than one day old. So as part of my morning routine I clean the litter box and change the water in both water bowls.

Try a daily water change to see if your cat(s) respond.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
A couple of decades ago when I got my first kitties, I vowed to remember to close the toilet every time I used it. It's almost 20 years later, and I do it without thinking -- it's just automatic. It didn't take THAT long to make it automatic.

It is hard when I have visitors who don't think to close the lid, but I usually see it up pretty quickly and close it.

I change the water a LOT, and still I have a couple of kitties who always want water out of the sink.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
My cat used to drink out of the toilet, even when he had fresh water.

Now we all put the seat back down after we use it. It's not hard to remember to do that once you get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats