Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM

585 posts, read 2,006,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Thanks for saving the kitties!!

Actually, parts of Brooklyn were indeed an evacuation zone, but a lot of people refused to leave. I live in Zone C, and 2 blocks from Zone A. There's still a lot of devastation here and people without power in South Brooklyn.

But besides that, I was wondering which shelter you adopted the kitties from, I adopted my Jinx from a no kill shelter here in Brooklyn, and was contemplating giving him a companion or 2 since the shelters are overloaded right now.
These two (as with my other two NY cats, one adopted and one foster) are all from NYC Animal Care & Control in Brooklyn. Even if you save one from a no kill rescue that pulls from ACC (like Anjellicle, All Sentient Beings, K9 Kastle, etc), you are potentially freeing up space to pull more animals from ACC but definitely check at ACC. Just keep in mind even though it's been in better shape than ever post-Sandy over there, the place is still a cesspool of germs and disease so it's really really important to follow strict quarantine and treatment procedures and have the animal vetted by your own vet right away.

Search adoption listings here: Animal Care & Control of NYC (AC&C) : Adoptions Search but EVEN BETTER if you want to foster (they are doing a foster orientation on the 12th I believe) or take in an animal that may be lost, search the lost listings: Animal Care & Control of NYC (AC&C) : Programs & Services | Lost Pet Search animals at the shelter more than 72 hours are subject to euthanization, so getting the lost ones out is extra important, not that the owner surrenders don't deserve a chance either.

Didn't realize some of Brooklyn needed to evacuate too. It's also possible he comes from Staten Island since their ACC only recently reopened and someone may have gone to Brooklyn to dump him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
What beautiful kitties! I hope you find them homes soon. And I hope tons of good karma comes your way.

...and I just noticed the Kill list came back at NYC ACC.
Yes but it was "only" 10 cats last night. We were all shocked to say the least. Considering it had been so long without a list, that's pretty amazing. I suspect part of it has to do with the fact they are doing limited intakes, so the usual people dumping their cats off because they are having a new baby or suddenly developed "allergies" after 5 years (ugh) are not able to dump their animals off. I just hope those people aren't simply dumping them in the street then if they no longer want them.

And as always, if people would just SPAY AND NEUTER we wouldn't have such a huge freaking problem to deal with. If I do find Storm's owners, they are getting a real ear-full from me for not fixing him. Even if he was an only cat, obviously things happen and he could have been running around knocking up strays all over New York after the hurricane for all we know. At least he'll be off the market soon He IS a little stud but he can still be a stud, just with no stud-abilities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
What beautiful kitties! I hope you find them homes soon. And I hope tons of good karma comes your way.

...and I just noticed the Kill list came back at NYC ACC.
And now 15 on tonight's list https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4419253&type=1

Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Just checked, I would gladly take all of them if I could. Seriously, this breaks my heart and makes me want to cry. I'll see if I can call and save one or 2 at least. Will have to check with the landlord of course.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Just checked, I would gladly take all of them if I could. Seriously, this breaks my heart and makes me want to cry. I'll see if I can call and save one or 2 at least. Will have to check with the landlord of course.
It may be too late to take any off the kill list tonight without the landlord OK BUT it would be a great idea to fill out a prescreener at NYC Urgent Cats and get pre-approved with one of the rescues while you are waiting for your landlord to say it's OK if you want to save a death row cat! That way once you are approved, they can pull a cat for you from the kill list right away without having to go through the application process! They usually need to do a home visit first but if the no kill shelter you already adopted from can vouch for you even better. You can access the prescreener here: https://www.facebook.com/nycurgentca...6046631?ref=ts and NYC Urgent Cats will forward it to the rescues. They all desperately need both fosters and adopters so even if you can only foster that is a huge help too.

If you need any help with the process please don't hesitate to message me and I can hook you up with the right people.

And thank you

It breaks my heart seeing these lists day in and day out too. My first ACC rescue should have died the morning I saw her and stepped up to save her, by some miracle she got an extra day at the shelter after being kill listed. I drove 10+ hours to get her and not a day goes by that I don't look at her and get overwhelmed with gratitude knowing just how close she came to not being with us today. I shudder to think...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,480,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
My heart just aches when I read things like this. No-Kill Nation claims there are homes for all these cats but WHERE?

I don't know No-Kill Nation other than having heard the name several times in the past. There are so many organizations that you can't know them all <s>.

Oh, listen, all over the U.S. there are easily half a million, probably more, tame and totally abandoned cats. Not ferals, housecats, abandoned.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
BLESS YOU for your work And you are right, as difficult as it is to get the shelter cats out, the ferals - even highly adoptable ones - have it even worse.

If you ever need some help fundraising, please PM me and I'll be happy to send around among my cat folks. If you have pics/descriptions of the ferals you think are adoptable, I can definitely help get the word out on them if there is any interest and would love to do so! I'd snap your other guy up in a second but I am really at capacity with these last two I grabbed from ACC, especially if the dilute calico is, in fact, pregnant. But happy to network for you as best I can!!

Please whatever you do don't take him to ACC if it comes to that, he'll surely die there and that would be a shame. Message me and let's see how I can help OK?

Killabunnies,

When I wrote my post, I specifically talked about TAME cats, not ferals. You have written "ferals" with reference to the cats we in our group rescue and foster and for whom we need homes. I am not talking about ferals. I would never take in a feral to look for a home. We take in the abandoned, completely tame cats who were abandoned by humans for any number of reasons.

The tortoise shell female being quarantined in my bathroom right now (she is recovering from an acute herpes episode for 2 to 3 weeks and I have 3 immune compromised, FIV+ permanent cats here who must not have contact while she is sick) is totally tame. I picked her right up outside in this colony by the Long Island Rail Road. When we trapped her and got her spayed in August, along with a number of ferals, she had to be recovered from surgery, as is the correct method we are trained to do, in her trap, and it was not possible to know she was tame. But then last week I picked her up outside, took a chance. So I took her off the street and to the vet for her cold and to be given Revolution and a complete exam and now she is my foster cat. She is so sweet. She purrs non-stop in my arms, etc. Very underweight and eats like a hog right now,but she seems healthy. Aged 2 years. Adorable.

The above is typical of what we are talking about.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
BLESS YOU for your work And you are right, as difficult as it is to get the shelter cats out, the ferals - even highly adoptable ones - have it even worse.

If you ever need some help fundraising, please PM me and I'll be happy to send around among my cat folks. If you have pics/descriptions of the ferals you think are adoptable, I can definitely help get the word out on them if there is any interest and would love to do so! I'd snap your other guy up in a second but I am really at capacity with these last two I grabbed from ACC, especially if the dilute calico is, in fact, pregnant. But happy to network for you as best I can!!

Please whatever you do don't take him to ACC if it comes to that, he'll surely die there and that would be a shame. Message me and let's see how I can help OK?
Hey, listen, I live and do rescue right in NYC and know all about the Animal Care and Control (ACC), our NYC public kill shelter. That is part of my every day reality. AYou don't need to help my cats. They are safe. The ones that are surely going to die soon, are killed every single day, are at the ACC.

Fundraising: Money is needed by the local rescue groups who are, for example, giving my local group, feeding 450 cats per day, 150 of them in feral colonies, and paying for critically needed veterinary care. (http://www.savekitty.org/) The founder of Save Kitty was awarded Person of the Week by the TV station NY 1 for saving 600 feral cats in a public housing project from being euthanized by the housing office, and, instead, having every single one of them spayed and neutered, and a permanent on-going feeding and shelter program set up for them. Save Kitty Foundation never stops needing help and funds. You can get in touch directly and see if you want to donate to them.

I will tell you one extremely reliable, city-wide organization that would LOVE LOVE LOVE your help: The NYC Feral Cat Initiative. Oh, would they love your help. They are trying to help hundreds of thousands of free roaming (ferals and abandoned tames) cats throughout NYC.
http://www.nycferalcat.org/

But, as I think about it, you probably have a serious need for fund raising right in your own state, for feral cats, don't you?

Last edited by Martha Anne; 11-10-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Killabunnies,

When I wrote my post, I specifically talked about TAME cats, not ferals. You have written "ferals" with reference to the cats we in our group rescue and foster and for whom we need homes. I am not talking about ferals. I would never take in a feral to look for a home. We take in the abandoned, completely tame cats who were abandoned by humans for any number of reasons.

The tortoise shell female being quarantined in my bathroom right now (she is recovering from an acute herpes episode for 2 to 3 weeks and I have 3 immune compromised, FIV+ permanent cats here who must not have contact while she is sick) is totally tame. I picked her right up outside in this colony by the Long Island Rail Road. When we trapped her and got her spayed in August, along with a number of ferals, she had to be recovered from surgery, as is the correct method we are trained to do, in her trap, and it was not possible to know she was tame. But then last week I picked her up outside, took a chance. So I took her off the street and to the vet for her cold and to be given Revolution and a complete exam and now she is my foster cat. She is so sweet. She purrs non-stop in my arms, etc. Very underweight and eats like a hog right now,but she seems healthy. Aged 2 years. Adorable.

The above is typical of what we are talking about.
I'm sorry, symantics. I have what I call a "feral" at home myself who was likely found outside as a kitten (we don't know) and refer to him as such but see your point and why it's important to distinguish the two. He was barely tame when I brought him home (from our local no kill shelter before I started fostering others) but young enough that he was easy to get acclimated and is now the perfect little housecat. Always a little off compared to my others but I love him for it, he's a wonderful little cat. Some of my cat friends who do a lot of TNR refer to all of theirs as feral - even the ones that later go on to be adopted - so I just assumed that's an accepted term but will definitely be more thoughtful in my choice of words in the future

Quote:
Hey, listen, I live and do rescue right in NYC and know all about the Animal Care and Control (ACC), our NYC public kill shelter. That is part of my every day reality. AYou don't need to help my cats. They are safe. The ones that are surely going to die soon, are killed every single day, are at the ACC.

Fundraising: Money is needed by the local rescue groups who are, for example, giving my local group, feeding 450 cats per day, 150 of them in feral colonies, and paying for critically needed veterinary care. (SaveKitty Foundation) The founder of Save Kitty was awarded Person of the Week by the TV station NY 1 for saving 600 feral cats in a public housing project from being euthanized by the housing office, and, instead, having every single one of them spayed and neutered, and a permanent on-going feeding and shelter program set up for them. Save Kitty Foundation never stops needing help and funds. You can get in touch directly and see if you want to donate to them.

I will tell you one extremely reliable, city-wide organization that would LOVE LOVE LOVE your help: The NYC Feral Cat Initiative. Oh, would they love your help. They are trying to help hundreds of thousands of free roaming (ferals and abandoned tames) cats throughout NYC.
New York City Feral Cat Initiative

But, as I think about it, you probably have a serious need for fund raising right in your own state, for feral cats, don't you?
Sorry, didn't mean to assume or imply you didn't know about ACC, just said it assuming you did not to be safe because so many do not know and I didn't know your background when I said it! I'm sure your cats are in great hands, just offered to help get the one you mentioned networked if you needed it since you mentioned you'd love for me "or a shelter who is kind to him" to help him out. It's a lovely thing you do and breaks my heart to think anyone is capable of dumping an animal on the street, leaving the job of caring for them up to someone like you IF the cat is lucky enough to even find someone like that. I'm afraid that happened quite a bit in NY while ACC was doing limited intakes Two of my female fosters (the last one and the most recent one) were likely lifelong strays but it is hard to tell because they are both so sweet and loving and trusting of humans. The last one is permanently tiny, our vet said it's from growing up on the street and not getting the right nutrition. But if that's the case, she did darn well as she had no parasites or other issues and was healthy except for being underweight when I got her and the cold she got at ACC. Sad to think they're almost better off on the street than at that place. Her two 14 week old kittens she came in with were euthanized after just 5 days at the shelter, I didn't see them in time to save them too

As for helping in my own area, I only recently moved down here from DC and am trying to get hooked up with a feral group here in Richmond in desperate need of transporters to and from vet appointments and such. I'm about at capacity with cats in the house both my own and foster so I can't take any more fosters in if they are tame but transport is definitely something I can do. Back in DC I cared for a small colony in our condo complex parking lot much to the chagrin of our condo association who mistakenly assumed caring for them meant they would get out of control. It's a difficult PR battle educating people on the importance of TNR, the condo association would have rather poisoned them all I'm sure - like the housing project you mentioned above (though our situation was much much smaller, we had maybe 10 max once it got under control). It killed me having to leave them, I'm hoping someone else will step up to keep an eye on them. I was never able to get any of the kittens and they always seemed to disappear no sooner than they arrived which scares me because it was a bad neighborhood and I shudder to think of someone evil getting to them first. So I have limited but some experience with ferals - again, sorry to use that term to describe the tame ones, never really recognized the distinction between tame outside cats and true ferals but totally get what you're saying. Guess I should stop referring to my little former outside cat as such, I've always just called him a "former feral" and never thought twice about it. Anyway, I'm also signing up to volunteer at our local ACC as well. I'm done rescuing NYCACC shelter cats after these last two, I said that after the last one but the hurricane was a special circumstance. I'll still be networking the NYC cats and involved in that aspect but definitely shifting my focus to meet some needs down here, of which there are many.

I'm adopting the Bombay I picked up. I'll still try to find his family and have no idea where he came from or how he ended up at ACC, I thought he was lost in the hurricane but who knows. Sadly it's just as likely he was dumped outside before the hurricane. I was holding out hope his family is looking for him but who knows. Either way he's got a home and that's what's important, I hate to think of this kind little guy having to struggle to get by on the streets, he's really not cut out for it and belongs in a warm cat bed in a loving house.

I'll look up those two orgs you mentioned. I don't have millions to donate (I wish) but I do social media management/traditional media for a living and am in the process of working on some grant writing for another rescue so I do have talents and such to donate, which is something. So as I said above, if you do ever need help finding homes for your healthy tame finds if they need homes, I'd be happy to help you network them.

I feel better knowing you know what you're doing Sorry again if I made it sound like you didn't, you never know who you're talking to on the Internet especially after a few sentences and generally have to err on the side of caution in assumptions as there are many well-intended people out there who have no idea what they are doing. Didn't mean to imply you didn't!

I would love to see pics of your little tortie! I have a soft spot for torties, the one I inherited from my mom when she died was the one who turned me into a full-fledged cat lady. I'll never understand why they (and black cats for that matter) don't seem to get adopted as often in shelters, they are such wonderful little characters.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Dear killabunnie,

That's OK...

Just to let you know: We here in my area do not use the word feral unless the cat really is. We use: Feral (never has been socialized to humans, ever), hard strays (have been once a person's cat but were abandoned years ago and are "hardened" but not true ferals, and "friendlies" which is homeless abandoned tame cats who are still friendly to humans. We never use the word "feral" with a friendly. It is important for us to use the correct word because we have to keep thinking: OK now what do I do with this particular cat? Return to colony? Take off street? Etc. And we use these terms to communicate with one another: "I have this friendly who is in my colony..."

Re: your willingness to help with networking for my cats (2 kittens, I want to place them together as they are bonded), and 2 cats, one a hard stray and the other a friendly, one almost ready for a home now, adorable gorgeous tortie 2 years, super sweet and gentle, the other guy is Dirty Cat needing so much help first, will have tumor taken off gums (this is often quite benign) and teeth are a "mess" according to vet and will require much dental work - then Dirty Cat I need to de-traumatize and then find him a peaceful, non-scarey home, not because he is a feral - he is not - but because he has suffered terribly and needs a kind, peaceful, gentle, non-aggressive home environment.

How do I post the photos on the pictures section? I was looking and can't figure it all out.

Many thanks!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Dear killabunnie,

That's OK...

Just to let you know: We here in my area do not use the word feral unless the cat really is. We use: Feral (never has been socialized to humans, ever), hard strays (have been once a person's cat but were abandoned years ago and are "hardened" but not true ferals, and "friendlies" which is homeless abandoned tame cats who are still friendly to humans. We never use the word "feral" with a friendly. It is important for us to use the correct word because we have to keep thinking: OK now what do I do with this particular cat? Return to colony? Take off street? Etc. And we use these terms to communicate with one another: "I have this friendly who is in my colony..."

Re: your willingness to help with networking for my cats (2 kittens, I want to place them together as they are bonded), and 2 cats, one a hard stray and the other a friendly, one almost ready for a home now, adorable gorgeous tortie 2 years, super sweet and gentle, the other guy is Dirty Cat needing so much help first, will have tumor taken off gums (this is often quite benign) and teeth are a "mess" according to vet and will require much dental work - then Dirty Cat I need to de-traumatize and then find him a peaceful, non-scarey home, not because he is a feral - he is not - but because he has suffered terribly and needs a kind, peaceful, gentle, non-aggressive home environment.

How do I post the photos on the pictures section? I was looking and can't figure it all out.

Many thanks!
I upload pics to Photobucket to post here if you have an account Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket But definitely PM me so I can get contact info for you for networking so anyone interested knows who to contact The tortie sounds so awesome, if only I had room for her. If I hadn't committed to adopting the Bombay I picked up from ACC after the hurricane, I'd totally take her in a second.

And AWWWW at "Dirty Cat" I love it

Thanks for the education on terms, I had no idea! Will probably help once I start working with the feral organization down here for sure so I don't look like a dummy when referring to theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats