Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times

Advertisements

Yeesh. So the Bombay I saved from NYC ACC is doing well and met our cat family on Tuesday. He fits right in, within an hour he was scampering up the stairs playing chase with his brothers and all is well. A few little hissy fits at dinner time with his bratty princess sisters but nothing major and I'm grateful for that. He's a laid back little guy so he just has to work it out with his sisters but his brothers have already taken to him right away.

The calico I rescued with him, however, was suspected pregnant but turned out to be postpartum per our vet. It tore me up not knowing if her kittens were left behind at the high kill shelter because had I even suspected there were kittens, I would have NEVER broken up a family. But the good news there is that we tracked down her three beautiful calico girls - about 12 weeks old - and all three were saved just before mama got busted out by me. YAY!

But when she went in for her vet appointment on Tuesday, the vet was happy with her (except for the secondary infection, which we started treating then and she's in way better shape now, all sniffling/sneezing is completely gone) but said she might already be in heat. I brushed it off because she just seemed affectionate to me but SURE ENOUGH, she started howling like a nutcase yesterday in the bathroom. And now today she's been howling non-stop and, uh, assuming the position if I just look at her.

I can't get her into the vet until MONDAY for a spay and this is driving me nuts. I have her crated with a towel over it and she's settled down a bit. Since she's shaken off her cold, I'm going to lock up the other rescue (who is ALSO unfixed, ugh) so he can't get to her (though he has no interest in her whatsoever) and let her wander around the house a little later to see if that takes the edge off for her, she may also be feeling a bit of cabin fever as she's basically been locked up in quarantine for over a week and a half.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for calming a cat in heat? The vet said there's really nothing more I can do than what I've done. Feliway doesn't put a dent in it and I can't spend all night coddling her. The crate seems to be working a lot better than having her locked up in the bathroom so I hope it stays somewhat calm, she's stretched out relaxing as we speak. I live in an apartment so I can't really have a cat howling all hours of the day and night! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
You might want to drop a wee note to your neighbors about what is going on. years ago I had a siamese go into heat and my neighbors complained to my landlord I was harboring a baby and leaving it alone during the day. it was terrible. She came roaring in my apartment looking all around just ready to have me hauled off to jail. When i showed her my cat she didn't even believe me. If you haven't heard a siamese in heat---believe me it is ear piercing and does sound like a baby. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
I can't offer any advice at all since cats in heat can be a noisy PITA until it's over. You already plan to get her spayed so... just hang in there.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You might want to drop a wee note to your neighbors about what is going on. years ago I had a siamese go into heat and my neighbors complained to my landlord I was harboring a baby and leaving it alone during the day. it was terrible. She came roaring in my apartment looking all around just ready to have me hauled off to jail. When i showed her my cat she didn't even believe me. If you haven't heard a siamese in heat---believe me it is ear piercing and does sound like a baby. Good luck.
This is hilarious !!!
No cats here, only dogs.
We would not even know how to behave if we had pet cats!!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
All better now! She got her spay yesterday. We made it through the weekend with her crated most of the time, she didn't seem to mind and stayed pretty quiet when she was in there except when she needed a potty break and dinner break. She's a sweet little thing, even when she was a howling banshee in heat :P

I love our vet, they did a wonderful job and even threw in a free anti-fungal treatment for her ears while she was under. The owner of the vet office does rescue and they have several resident rescue cats at the office at any given time so they fully support the mission of those of us passionate about rescue and that's awesome, they've been great and I'm so happy to have found them, my DC vet charged the regular office visit fee for my first NY rescue ($80)... will definitely take my resident cats to the same vet when they're up for their visits as well, besides helping rescue animals they are also just really caring, thorough vets and I love that too, I never really liked our DC vet.

The house is peaceful yet again! It shouldn't be with all these cats in it but YAY that it is!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
This is hilarious !!!
No cats here, only dogs.
We would not even know how to behave if we had pet cats!!!!
Your cats would TEACH you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats