U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 11,368,297 times

Advertisements

That would be me!
Why can't she be like the catolescents who joined my household in 1992, and just wait for my feet to go under the covers - then pounce? Not Seteria. All it takes for her is to see that I've tucked in. She goes right to work, finding a promising part of a lower limb and digging/chomping away. At times she's grabbed a foot between her front paws and started gnawing on it like a dog on a bone. This week my hands and arms got discovered too - I have the mini-scratch marks and tiny scabs to prove it. Now they match what my skin's wearing from the knees down.
From seeing how cats show affection with one another I understand what she's doing. It's not her fault that she doesn't realize I don't have a layer of fur over thick skin the way her mom and other felines do. So I grin (or wince) and bear it. It's no worse than getting lightly jabbed by a sewing needle. And when she starts going too far with her "love bites" I pull her off the target and vigorously pet her while saying "That's enough."
We could probably start a whole thread discussing how our cats react to our getting settled for sleep. Let's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,310,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
We could probably start a whole thread discussing how our cats react to our getting settled for sleep. Let's!
My cats react to my getting settled for sleep, by assigning shifts, each taking their turn keeping me awake.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,132,344 times
Finn waits impatiently every evening for my spouse to come to bed (he's always the first one in bed), and as soon as the MR settles in under the covers, Finn settles in right beside him, purring thunderously. He stretches out so he's between Spouse's arm and his body, with his front legs wrapped around Spouse's wrist, back legs wrapped around his elbow, and in that position, he cuddles his face into Spouse's hand and purrs himself to sleep. Spouse channel-surfs with one hand, lest he disturb Finn, and I generally come into the bedroom an hour or so later to find the pair of them sound asleep in a human/feline tangle.

Col. Snuggledorf, on the other hand, is not much of a snuggler. And while he is definitely Spouse's cheese-eating buddy, he is fixated on me, or more precisely, on the softer parts of my anatomy. The moment I lie down, he hops up on the bed, trilling and chirping like a whole flock of birds, comes over beside me and starts making biscuits on whatever soft bits he can find. He has very narrow paws, and he is not by any means a light-weight critter, so those paws go deep. And even though I keep his claws trimmed, he still manages to leave traces of his affection behind. In fact, my thighs have semi-permanent red marks from his attentions.

Both boys know when we're supposed to go to bed. And they both give us "the look" if we fail to head off to bed at what they consider to be the appropriate time. In fact, Dorfy is looking at me right now as if to say, "come on now, stop tapping at that silly thing and go lie down so I can make biscuits." Guess it's bedtime...

Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,616,948 times
Shame on you!!!!! It hasn't been a month ago you were wondering if she was EVER gonna adopt you and not skitter out of the room when she saw you and here you are already "complaining" that she loves you too rough!!! What's a girl supposed to do? You know I'm kidding with you...truly I am....I think it is wonderful that she feels comfortable enough to not only come in the house, to come into the bedroom and allow the giant human to touch her!!! I know it hurts like hell, but what are you gonna do? You are apparently a cat magnet - and now you have two little cuties who adore you....wah!!!! I guess you're going to have to wear some protective gear to bed if you don't want to wake up bleeding!!! Enjoy your kids - you worked hard for them and if it were not for you I shudder to think what would have happened to them.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,902,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
That would be me!
Why can't she be like the catolescents who joined my household in 1992, and just wait for my feet to go under the covers - then pounce? Not Seteria. All it takes for her is to see that I've tucked in. She goes right to work, finding a promising part of a lower limb and digging/chomping away. At times she's grabbed a foot between her front paws and started gnawing on it like a dog on a bone. This week my hands and arms got discovered too - I have the mini-scratch marks and tiny scabs to prove it. Now they match what my skin's wearing from the knees down.
My Phaedra used to do this quite often. Now she plays "kill the covered foot" about once a month.

Quote:
From seeing how cats show affection with one another I understand what she's doing. It's not her fault that she doesn't realize I don't have a layer of fur over thick skin the way her mom and other felines do. So I grin (or wince) and bear it. It's no worse than getting lightly jabbed by a sewing needle. And when she starts going too far with her "love bites" I pull her off the target and vigorously pet her while saying "That's enough."
I can't say mine are pesky at night. As long as I remember to give them their midnight treat of good quality kibble, they sleep most of the night. Sometimes on my bed (not often) and sometimes not.

Only Zeb follows me to bed and waits until I'm tucked in with a good book. Then he assumes the meatloaf position staring in my face and waits to be petted. He'll point his head up for a chin rub. Sometimes he'll lay on his side with his head upsidedown on my chest. If anyone spends the night with me, it's almost always him.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Jasper just purrs, kneads, meows, and settles down by my feet. He has never bit my toes. Or me, at all.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 AM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times
Our nighttime ritual has changed since my spouse died last year, but now we've settled down to this: The cats go upstairs to bed long before I do, presumably so they can get in their desired spots before I get into mind.

When I arrive in the room, Cookie is smack in the middle of the bed, and Checkers is on my pillow.After I chase them away and get into bed, Cookie hops back up on the bed (after putting her front paws on the mattress and surveying the lay of the land first -- you never know what dangers may have appeared on the bed since she hopped off 10 seconds earlier), and stares at me until I pet her. If I don't respond within a reasonable time, she emits a loud, sharp meow to get my attention, and curls up at my waist. Meanwhile, Checkers has deposited himself on my feet.

If I watch TV before I go to sleep, Cookie will abandon her spot next to me and sit at the edge of the bed to watch TV, too. She especially enjoys a spirited hockey game.

I'm never sure if they stay there all night, but they're both there when I wake up, staring at me in the hopes that their thought waves will command me to get up and serve their breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats