U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 AM

365 posts, read 1,356,158 times
Default Transitioning outdoor CA cats to CT

We are moving to CT at the end of the school year. I have two cats that are outdoor only - their preference. I am concerned about how they will survive once we get to the new area, which is fairly rural. I am not sure how they will do with natural threats as well as weather. Can anyone offer advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 AM

4,081 posts, read 10,556,719 times
Chances are nearly 100% that if you allow them to roam when you first arrive they'll run off and not be seen again as they don't have their bearings. Depending on the area of CA you are moving from they might not have a chance their first year to develop their winter coat as if you're in a mild climate they won't hair up as much.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,321,152 times
I would not allow them outside in a rural area here too soon; also the problems of ticks in southeastern CT may be problematic. We have a small feral colony of cats here in Vernon CT- the males have been altered- we have community caretakers for all of them. These cats have lived outside all their lives. We have had them vet checked (after trapping) given shots and released, and all appear healthy and tick free- its a tough call really. I would keep them inside until they become acclimated to their new home and 'territory'. They may become disoriented and run away if rushed into new surroundings. After a fair amount of time allow supervised trips to the yard. Also in going from a temperate climate, to one with cold in the winter, it may take time for them to develop a heavy coat the first winter.

In time they will mark their territory outside, and stay within a certain perimeter to their home.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 AM

1,738 posts, read 5,406,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
We are moving to CT at the end of the school year. I have two cats that are outdoor only - their preference. I am concerned about how they will survive once we get to the new area, which is fairly rural. I am not sure how they will do with natural threats as well as weather. Can anyone offer advice?
I'd keep them in for a while, but I've heard of people keeping them on long leashes for short periods of time(supervised of course) so they can figure out where home is.

We lost our guy when we moved and it took me ten hours to find him.
I still don't let him outside, he lives on our big back porch or as we like to call it "kitty condo"

Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 AM

19,074 posts, read 13,599,734 times
I kept my indoor/outdoor cats inside for a good 3 months after our move to NC from CA. And then I would supervise their outdoor play. Now they come and go as they please during the day but they are still indoors at night. Just don't know what is roaming around at night..a cat door works great once they have been introduced to the outside and you feel comfortable with them going out. That way if they get to cold or are chased by something they can escape into the house. I keep that locked at night!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats