Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times

Advertisements

Martha Anne, you truly have me curious to meet an American Shorthair (although I probably never knowingly will).

I just have a question about your line of reasoning. You had two of them, both great cats, but you single out "L" as being remarkable. Is it necessarily her breed that made her stand out among all your cats, or is it just possibly a happy accident that she has extra-special qualities, something that could have happened just as easily with one of the "mutts"? If it was due to the breed shouldn't your other American Shorthair have been equally regarded as special by everyone?

Interesting you've owned dogs too. Do you believe mixed breed dogs can't have personalities that are as good as purebreds, or is it different with dogs?

I'm not trying to be contentious, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

And BTW, thank you for helping so many animals over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I hope you bother to read my original post as I started this thread, because I have never and would never pay for a purebred cat, either.

So, I am not sure why you wrote what you did.
In your original post you did not state that "I have never and would never pay for a purebred cat, either".

You did mention that one of the cats was being sold for 750 dollars (half what the owner originally paid).

The reason I posted what I did is that it was a funny story of how I paid 250 dollars for a couple of kittens. I am sorry if my post offended you.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,790 times
As many of you have entered - and continue this conversation and it has diverged onto another subject matter. I will enter again to say that you need to keep count of WHOM you are speaking to

I am the OP who started the thread and the Post was to let you know of Adoptable cats.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
In your original post you did not state that "I have never and would never pay for a purebred cat, either".

You did mention that one of the cats was being sold for 750 dollars (half what the owner originally paid).

The reason I posted what I did is that it was a funny story of how I paid 250 dollars for a couple of kittens. I am sorry if my post offended you.
I never have written about buying or selling a cat. You have to re-read the posts. You have confused me with another poster.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
I never have written about buying or selling a cat. You have to re-read the posts. You have confused me with another poster.
Nope- YOU claimed to have started this thread in your first response to me.

Quote-

"I hope you bother to read my original post as I started this thread, because I have never and would never pay for a purebred cat, either.

So, I am not sure why you wrote what you did."

I posted a response on a thread STARTED by KittyMom. Why you feel it has anything to do with you is beyond me. No, I did not read ANY of your previous posts in this thread (that you did not start) and therefore my post has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Good day..................

Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Frankly, I didn't even recall that you talked about paying money for a purebred.
Um, my first post on this thread, #4. It was very, very, very mild -- all it said was that it made me sad (not angry, not disgusted, just sad) that someone would spend $1,400 on a purebred kitten when they could get a sweet, lovable kitten at my local shelter for $75 and have $1,325 left to donate. I also said that the kitties the OP wrote about sounded beautiful and I hoped that they found homes (as I have continued to say). The OP seemed to take my post as a personal attack on her and on the purebred cats she was writing about. It wasn't, and it should not have been read that way. I haven't been rude in any of my posts, I haven't been mean. I HAVE been frustrated when you have told us that we are just wrong because we disagree with you (which you still insist on telling us over and over and over and over again). That's it.

And let me say again, for the record, I do hope that all the kitties mentioned in the original post are re-homed. OF COURSE I hope that.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 12-07-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Correct, no mixed breed I have ever met could ever match the personality qualities of our American Shorthairs. I know because I lived with all of them and you did not. So did my spouse, so did my visitors know all of our cats and all feel the same way I do. I don't want to argue with you any further on this. I know you can't accept my comments as being valid. I am not going to convince you because you don't know what you haven't experienced.
Aaaaagggh. Martha Anne, in your first post, #7 in this thread, the post that we reacted strongly to, you wrote, and I quote, "I can say that no mutt would be as attractive in personality and we have had many." "NO MUTT WOULD BE" -- which means, literally, no mutt in the world, known by you or not, which of course includes all the beloved mutts of posters to C-D. You did NOT say, as you are saying now, "no mixed breed [you] have ever met." Please note that those are two different statements. If you had written at the start, "no mutt I have ever had personal experience with matched the personality of my shorthairs, and everyone who knows these particular animals would agree with me," I think we would all have just said, "OK, that's your experience," and let it go. But you didn't write that in your first post, and that is what we were all responding to.

I wish we had all understood it the way you apparently meant it ... but we understood it as you wrote it instead.

And might I say again that I hope all the kitties in the first post get re-homed, including the one that a recent poster was interested in.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Nope- YOU claimed to have started this thread in your first response to me.

Quote-

"I hope you bother to read my original post as I started this thread, because I have never and would never pay for a purebred cat, either.

So, I am not sure why you wrote what you did."

I posted a response on a thread STARTED by KittyMom. Why you feel it has anything to do with you is beyond me. No, I did not read ANY of your previous posts in this thread (that you did not start) and therefore my post has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Good day..................

Now I am totally confused. I don't even know what you are saying - I can't follow your thoughts. Maybe someone here can translate for me.

Oh, wait, now I see. I did start a thread and thought this was it! LOL! My apologies, it was an innocent mistake.

(How could I do that? Easy: Try living my life one single solitary day with what I do at home with cats. Your head would be spinning like mine is, most of the time. It is now 10:30 PM, and since 8 am I have been caring for sick cats, helping feral kittens get tamed, you name it, with a 3 hour break to do food shopping and other chores. I work from 8 to 12 noon straight doing medications and cat related chores and that incuded, today, helping a lady with 3 feral kittens she wants to save. This is my life and I am hoping it will slow down soon. I just sold 2 cat shelters at 9 PM, etc. and had a visit with the buyer, etc. It is never ending here.)

Last edited by Martha Anne; 12-07-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Aaaaagggh. Martha Anne, in your first post, #7 in this thread, the post that we reacted strongly to, you wrote, and I quote, "I can say that no mutt would be as attractive in personality and we have had many." "NO MUTT WOULD BE" -- which means, literally, no mutt in the world, known by you or not, which of course includes all the beloved mutts of posters to C-D. You did NOT say, as you are saying now, "no mixed breed [you] have ever met." Please note that those are two different statements. If you had written at the start, "no mutt I have ever had personal experience with matched the personality of my shorthairs, and everyone who knows these particular animals would agree with me," I think we would all have just said, "OK, that's your experience," and let it go. But you didn't write that in your first post, and that is what we were all responding to.

I wish we had all understood it the way you apparently meant it ... but we understood it as you wrote it instead.

And might I say again that I hope all the kitties in the first post get re-homed, including the one that a recent poster was interested in.
Don't worry, I could respond but it's time to drop it, don't you think?

We all mean well and we all love cats, purebred and mixed, and rescues (esp. for me!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats