Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,909,257 times

Advertisements

You're a wonderful person for taking in this cat! When I volunteered for a couple animal rescue places that were full we would ask people that found these animals if they would be willing to foster them until they were adopted. They would then have access to the vets we used and we would post them for adoption and have them come to adoption events. Hopefully one of these groups would be open to this. And who knows maybe at a certain point you may be so bonded with her (and have the means at that time) to adopt her.

As for what you can do right now for this cat, as some others have suggested, try limiting her to just one room like a bathroom. Put her litter box in there along with everything else she needs. She will start going in the litter box soon. It took one of my little feral kittens a bit longer than the others to use the boxes all the time...but you have to realize they were used to going outside wherever they felt like it. When she has a small space she will want to eliminate in one area because she won't want her sleeping or food area dirty. Also since she is a stray (or feral) socialization will be important. Try just sitting in this small room with her several times a day and wait for her to come to you. Even if she starts being affectionate don't overdo it with her. Take it very slow and never look at her directly in the eyes. You can talk softly to her as well. In time she will realize that you are not a threat and will trust you like no other and will FINALLY be able to relax :-)

FYI - Strays/ferals usually turn out to be the most loving animals ever!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM

152 posts, read 249,060 times
NRaleigh Mom, thank you for the compliment but to say i'm a wonderful person may be stretching it a bit, i'm just an everyday guy, but i have a soft-spot for cats, like my mom did..

this cat was super affectionate from the beginning, so no trouble with that, i'm just thinking that like some others here have said, she needs some medical attention that i cannot afford to provide for her at this time.

i wonder if i should post a picture, so i could get some general opinion as to her state

edit: here are a couple pictures of her...

took in a stray cat... turning my apartment upside-down..-img_20121212_135338.jpg

took in a stray cat... turning my apartment upside-down..-img_20121212_135450.jpg

Last edited by vapour_trail; 12-12-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
She looks rather young to me but it's hard to tell from photos. My city shelter has a low-cost vet on site and maybe they will accept payments if yours has the same. Thank you for caring.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
Sounds like the cat is very ill. It also sounds like while your intentions were wonderful, and you probably did save it's life.....it is more than you can afford to do long term. Regarding the no kill shelter...perhaps if you took the cat there in a box or crate w/ holes, but secure...And just showed up....I can't see them turning her away. I wouldn't tell them you'd already called. B ut, do tell them how sick she is, and how you found her just days ago. If they actually see it in person, they may see how sick she is. Or, perhaps they would let you volunteer a day a week to pay for vet costs. Get creative...or find another shelter. She may have feline lukemia, or any number of illnesses.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
yep I have to voice that this cat sounds ill and yes she needs vet care and I dont see any way around that and you cannot have a cat without vet care , being a pet parent is costly and you should really see to this cats welfare not yours sorry but if you cant do the vet care then maybe someone else can and should .

Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
2) Call the shelter back and ask them for any ideas about getting her to a low-cost vet or other rescues or no-kill shelters that might be able to help you. Make sure you tell them how you found her, how long you've had her, and the issues she's having. Don't take no for an answer.
Yes, this. Did you ask them about help with vet care or only about dropping off the cat? They do appear to have a program that can help some people with vet care, so call and ask about that. Even if they specifically can't help they should be able to direct you somewhere. Kitty really could use at least a cursory exam just to be sure. Looks like she's been through a lot.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Poor little girl. I agree she is very ill. The water bowl issue has me thinking kidney disease. In a week and a half she should be showing significant weight gain by now. I hope you can find vet care for her, but...as you say at least for now she has a dry home, food and love.

Can you sell something? Apply for CareCredit?

All paws crossed for her, and that you took her in makes you a real Hero.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM

152 posts, read 249,060 times
here she is at the water bowl... note that she is not drinking, she just hangs out there in front of it for various amounts of time, like shes taking a nap or something. she'll be still as a mouse for an hour like that... the trouble is, that the fur under her chin stays constantly wet because of this, and shes starting to smell like mildew ;(

i'm not saying she doesnt drink water, she does eat and drink plenty, why she naps with her head at the water bowl, i have no clue

took in a stray cat... turning my apartment upside-down..-img_20121212_154555.jpg

Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour_trail View Post
here she is at the water bowl... note that she is not drinking, she just hangs out there in front of it for various amounts of time, like shes taking a nap or something. she'll be still as a mouse for an hour like that... the trouble is, that the fur under her chin stays constantly wet because of this, and shes starting to smell like mildew ;(

i'm not saying she doesnt drink water, she does eat and drink plenty, why she naps with her head at the water bowl, i have no clue

Attachment 104765
Hanging over the water bowl is a classic symptom of kidney failure, I'm sorry to say. CKD is not curable, but can be managed, but it does take money.

The odor is also a concern. That also points to kidney disease. In addition, when a cat has gone too long without food, the liver begins to fail.

I don't mean to frighten you, but I don't think she's going to make it without medical intervention. But...at least she is warm and dry and loved. If she begins to suffer, just take her to the shelter and ask them to euthanize her, if they won't take her in.

I could be wrong of course, and you can only do what you can do. Just....watch her carefully for signs of real suffering. If she stops eating, for instance. Or stops being affectionate.

Do you know anyone who might take an interest in her? Friends, who would pool some money together to help you? Do you belong to a church?

I'm so glad she is with you instead of out in the cold, having died alone. x

Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,909,257 times
Vapour_Trail....just saw the photos you posted....this is so sad!!! She does look like she needs to see a vet really soon. Do you have a PetSmart near you? If so they have a vet office inside called Banfield. If you google "Banfield Free Pet Visit" it will bring you to a page where you can print out a coupon for the first initial visit. They also have plans which help pet owners...most are just about $25 per month and it will cover office visits, shots etc. Not sure if the $25/month is doable for you but I just wanted to bring this up in case that may be manageable for you (and you want to keep her).

If keeping her is not an option try contacting other animal rescue organizations in your area and just say that you "may" be willing to foster her for a period of time (if they have no room) but that she really does look like she needs to see a vet and ask if they have the funds to cover that. Most rescues do have some funds for this and have negotiated special rates with vets. That way you do not incur the medical expenses and this little kitty has a roof over her head until it is determined what is the best course for this kitty.

And I stand by what I said in my earlier post....you ARE a wonderful person for taking her in! So many people dump their own animals and others just turn their head when it comes to animals that so desperately need us! Please keep us updated if possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats