Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have 3 pets. A dog, a cat and for the past 3 weeks I got a kitten named Booger. I got him when he was about 4 weeks old and I love all my pets dearly but having a kitten again definitely warmed my heart. He's so energetic and ALWAYS plays around. Very, very social and brave feline and loves to play with any animal around him. He wrestles with other kittens, my lapdog, my elder cat, guinea pigs, and any animal that plays with him. I'm not saying this because he is my little Booger but he's definitely a lot of fun!

Today though, it has been a completely different story. He was fine up until 9AM where he started to just lay around all day. Usually my neighbors cat (Shadow Dancer) comes down to play with him every other day but he played with him for a few minutes and went back to sleep. He usually eats for 5 adult cats and maybe one full grown adult if you let him, but he was even enthusiastic about the food. He usually goes bonkers but today, he didn't care. He still ate, but didn't exactly go to town on his food like usual.

I hate to sound like such a wuss but I won't be able to sleep tonight not knowing exactly whats wrong. It's killing me to see him lay next to me with no energy. Usually, he wouldn't let me go to sleep but right now, he just wants to do nothing but sleep.

I know he's sick, no question but anyone know what may be wrong? What can I or should I do?

Any help would be awesome. I've had plenty of kittens but never dealt with this until now. Please give me any details possible. I want to make sure Booger stays here with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
So sorry to hear your kitten may be sick. Where did you get him from? Four weeks is EXTREMELY young for a kitten to be placed (my local Humane Society doesn't place any kittens until they are at least 8 weeks old). What are you feeding him? Is he a completely indoor kitten? (Not to lecture you, but I hope so!) Please give us a few more details, but honestly, I would take him to the vet ASAP. I'm a wuss too when my kitties get sick.

Please let us know what happens!!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
As already stated, 4 weeks is very young to adopt a kitten. They usually are not even weaned at that age. Being as he is so young I wouldn't wait very long before he needs to see a vet. Obviously something is wrong. I'd see how he is Sunday and if he is the same or worse I'd get him to the vet, and being as it is Sunday, it may have to be an emergency vet.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Hey Karen,

Well, my kitten was given to me (or my sister and I but I've been the primary care taker) by my sisters boyfriend. He was already about 4 weeks old (maybe 5 weeks). The owner of the mother of my kitten couldn't take care of all the kittens so he gave them away when they were 4 weeks.

And yes, he is COMPLETELY indoors. We live in an apartment building, so we don't let him go out for nothing. As for his diet, we give him formula milk (for kittens of course) that imitates the mothers milk and he eats kitty food. Though, he tries to snack on the wet dog food from my my dog. We keep the temperature in the house warm but when I'm not home, my mother and siblings tend to get hot and BLAST the windows open (in all honesty, they totally over exaggerate the heat in the house when its 29 degrees out).

We all have been taking great care of him though sometimes my younger brothers can get careless.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Hey Karen,

Well, my kitten was given to me (or my sister and I but I've been the primary care taker) by my sisters boyfriend. He was already about 4 weeks old (maybe 5 weeks). The owner of the mother of my kitten couldn't take care of all the kittens so he gave them away when they were 4 weeks.

And yes, he is COMPLETELY indoors. We live in an apartment building, so we don't let him go out for nothing. As for his diet, we give him formula milk (for kittens of course) that imitates the mothers milk and he eats kitty food. Though, he tries to snack on the wet dog food from my my dog. We keep the temperature in the house warm but when I'm not home, my mother and siblings tend to get hot and BLAST the windows open (in all honesty, they totally over exaggerate the heat in the house when its 29 degrees out).

We all have been taking great care of him though sometimes my younger brothers can get careless.
Please, please, please get the owner of the cat who just had kittens to get that cat SPAYED. I don't mean to lecture you, but that is really, really, really irresponsible.

Glad to hear he is completely indoors as that should give him many extra years of life (compared to if he were allowed to roam free outside). But I am a little troubled by your statement that your younger brothers can get "careless"? What exactly are you saying? Did they do something?!! And if they are opening windows in the room where the kitten is, could you please keep the kitten in a nice, warm room?!!

Please get the kitten to a vet ASAP!!

P.S. I love the name Booger, that is very cute! Please post photos once he gets well!!!

Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
he can have eaten something that got stuck in his bowel or he's got worms like most kittens do...get him to a vet now..he can't be cured online by us...

Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Hey Karen,

And yes, he is COMPLETELY indoors. We live in an apartment building, so we don't let him go out for nothing. As for his diet, we give him formula milk (for kittens of course) that imitates the mothers milk and he eats kitty food. Though, he tries to snack on the wet dog food from my my dog.
Start him on canned cat food. No dry kibble.

Quote:
We keep the temperature in the house warm but when I'm not home, my mother and siblings tend to get hot and BLAST the windows open (in all honesty, they totally over exaggerate the heat in the house when its 29 degrees out).

What do you mean your younger brothers can get careless? Make sure the screens in the windows are strong and tight. Many cats die each year from falling out windows.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Yep, 4 weeks is way too young. At that age, your friend didn't have to even take care of the kittens! Their mother is taking care of them!

So it sounds like your kitten is about 7 weeks old, thats still young. I would get him to the vet, I imagine he could also get dehydrated pretty quickly as well..

Like another poster said, he needs a warm place....and I hope your windows are screened. Not sure how old your brother is and what careless is, but make sure that kitten isn't treated like a play toy....

Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Everyone! Thanks for all your input and concerns. Thanks very much! With that said, I am proud to announce that my little Booger is alive and kicking!! He's gained more weight, he's running all over the place, messing with his toys and up to his silly usual antics.

He's also back to sleeping with me! I'm so happy that Booger is alive and much better.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Everyone! Thanks for all your input and concerns. Thanks very much! With that said, I am proud to announce that my little Booger is alive and kicking!! He's gained more weight, he's running all over the place, messing with his toys and up to his silly usual antics.

He's also back to sleeping with me! I'm so happy that Booger is alive and much better.
YAY! Gotta love updates like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats