Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times

Advertisements

We are moving 2,000 miles away in May. The reason I am asking now is so they can get used to the carrier ahead of time with small trips.

I keep searching high and low. And back again.

I found the Pet Gear Signature Pet Car Seat but am worried about the reviews regarding terror cats being able to get out.
Amazon.com: Pet Gear Signature Pet Car Seat & Carrier for cats and dogs up to 20-pounds, Aqua: Pet Supplies

Than we found the Pet Gear Auto Carrier but the reviews indicate holes in the bottom and if the feline pees, it will leak through.
Amazon.com: Pet Gear Auto Carrier & Kennel for cats and dogs up to 15-pounds, Sage: Pet Supplies

We need to be able to buckle them in. And the options seem SO limited for cats. We have tried putting their carriers (the basic hard ones you see everywhere) in the backseat and the seatbelt does not stay put.

Ideas? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,316,354 times
I drove from VA to AZ with three cats. Each one had their own hard carrier, and I wouldn't use anything else. One of my friends just moved from CA to ID with three cats, and each one was in a hard carrier. I think they're safer.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
Yes, they will each be in their own hard carrier. But that still doesn't solve the dilemma of how to buckle them in

Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I used a large soft sided puppy crate. I put a small cat box in the crate. But Jasper never used it.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
most kennel cab brand hard carriers have a little spot to slip the seatbelt under to hold it in place, or you can thread it through the handle.

like this one
Petmate Kennel Cab Fashion Blue Portable Kennel for Pets at PETCO

see just to the left of the handle theres a little "pop up" area, you hook the seabelt OVER the carrier, clip it in and tuck the seatbelt under that. ive never had a problem with those types slipping sloose/sliding around.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
most kennel cab brand hard carriers have a little spot to slip the seatbelt under to hold it in place, or you can thread it through the handle.

like this one
Petmate Kennel Cab Fashion Blue Portable Kennel for Pets at PETCO

see just to the left of the handle theres a little "pop up" area, you hook the seabelt OVER the carrier, clip it in and tuck the seatbelt under that. ive never had a problem with those types slipping sloose/sliding around.
Thats how I do it, that little pop up. Just slide the seat belt right through.

Lord did anyone read those reviews? Whew!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,929 times
Sturdi Products: Sturdi Products offers uniquely engineered, light weight yet durable pet products for home, airline compliant cat and dog carriers, pet show exhibition and pet emergency preparedness planning.

Take a look at the Sturdi products. I have a few. I have a Large bag for regular back and fourth to the vets. I can't keep my cats out of it - it's sooo comfy for them. I like the carrier because I can seatbelt it in the car and feel safe with them traveling short trips.

I also have one of the show shelters and it's great. There are soo many uses for it! We set it up in the back of our CRV when we brought home a kitten from several hours away - he'd already had a 14 hour flight and we wanted him to have some room and litter box. During bad weather we also took it away from home and it was good safe containment We live in a hurricane zone and I have 4 cats and I have often thought about getting another for that "just in case" because you should only put 2 in there.

Their stuff is very durable and best of all it's washable in your tub if there is an accident.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
Wow, those look awesome! I am seriously considering one.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,929 times
They are a bit pricey - but they are well worth it I really love mine and so do the kitties.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
We are moving 2,000 miles away in May. The reason I am asking now is so they can get used to the carrier ahead of time with small trips.

I keep searching high and low. And back again.

I found the Pet Gear Signature Pet Car Seat but am worried about the reviews regarding terror cats being able to get out.
Amazon.com: Pet Gear Signature Pet Car Seat & Carrier for cats and dogs up to 20-pounds, Aqua: Pet Supplies

Than we found the Pet Gear Auto Carrier but the reviews indicate holes in the bottom and if the feline pees, it will leak through.
Amazon.com: Pet Gear Auto Carrier & Kennel for cats and dogs up to 15-pounds, Sage: Pet Supplies

We need to be able to buckle them in. And the options seem SO limited for cats. We have tried putting their carriers (the basic hard ones you see everywhere) in the backseat and the seatbelt does not stay put.

Ideas? Help!
My old Subaru Forester (still have it) does buckle up the carrier quite securely. I am not sure why yours doesn't. (Use the Petmate carrier with the door at the top (open grated at at top), not just the side. Important. Very.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats