Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:40 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,628,602 times

Advertisements

yes definitely squirt bottle! it will not hurt her. i take it she has claws. if she didnt then you wouldnt have to worry about the screen but i know that de-clawing is not an option for many. good luck
it is so hard to discipline a cat compared to a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,253,057 times
I don't really know if you can train a cat. They are smarter then dogs, which leads them to question you often. My friend told me after 5 years she finally got her cat to stop clawing at the door and I said, or he just go old(he's 16).

ohhh and ours is declawed and instead of climbing screens, he pushes though them ...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,540,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
Our cat is rather disciplined. He hardly does anything he shouldn't. He knows the most important words like NO, COME, DOWN and others, along with his name. We always praise him when he follows a command, I think he likes that. He also knows "Do you want some cottage cheese and cream?" - that always makes him run to me.

There are very few things he really isn't allowed to do, like going onto the dining table or the kitchen counters. He never destroys anything, he only scratches on his scratching posts, and he doesn't climb the drapes because we don't have any. But he's an indoor-outdoor cat, so he probably does all the nasty things outside.
Mine too. When mine are mis behaving, all I have to do is say their name forcefully, and either SAncho will bolt eyes wide and Piper will cower meowing her twitter like meow that usually means, "I"m sorry mom, I"m sorry I didn't mean it." It's hard to get mad at that cute little meow!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That was my thought when I read the title . You can discipline a cat?! I wish someone would have told me that 15 years ago (15 yr old Siamese)!

I know, crazy huh? But it CAN BE DONE!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,236,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
It's hard to get mad at that cute little meow!
Oh I know exactly what you mean! I often have to turn away from our cat so he doesn't see my big grin when I pretend to be mad at him.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,905,126 times
In addition to the quirt gun/spray bottle (which doesn't work on my water loving felines), you can also try shaking a tin can with pennies in it because cats don't like sudden loud noises. I've also used a non-toxic citrus or bitter apple spray on things kitties should leave alone since they hate the smell. By far, the best methods are ones that reinforce "NO" with something mildly unpleasant, followed by positive reinforcement for stopping. Most cats act out when they are bored or don't have a suitable structure to exercise on, so make sure they have a "YES" area to play on, claw at, climb all over and entertain themselves.... and reward them for using it

Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
In addition to the quirt gun/spray bottle (which doesn't work on my water loving felines), you can also try shaking a tin can with pennies in it because cats don't like sudden loud noises. I've also used a non-toxic citrus or bitter apple spray on things kitties should leave alone since they hate the smell. By far, the best methods are ones that reinforce "NO" with something mildly unpleasant, followed by positive reinforcement for stopping. Most cats act out when they are bored or don't have a suitable structure to exercise on, so make sure they have a "YES" area to play on, claw at, climb all over and entertain themselves.... and reward them for using it
ooh, good suggestions. I forgot about the penny can. It can also be rocks or something. Yes areas and no areas are also a good suggestion. Our no area is usefully a closed closet for five minutes, then forgiving pets. A closed closet is quite the unhappy place since they like to roam and be where the party is.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,985,577 times
We have a Maine Coon Cat that we tried years ago to disipline.....[we're smarter now]...every time we would chastise him in ANY way....he would leave a present in the middle our bed....not quite in the center but more towards the person that was dumb enough to disipline him.....We dont do that any more......and neither does he.....

Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,774,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

I can't keep her from climbing window and door screens. Now she is heavy enough to tear them, so I've gotta do something.
When my cats tore up my sliding screen patio door I had the screen shop put "pet proof" screen in it. I didn't believe it would really last, but it's been several years now and there is not a mark on it, not even a pulled string.

It don't know what it's made of, it's not metal, but it really is cat proof.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,363,873 times
Default update!

My cat is now 9 months old and all of our screens are in good shape - she stopped climbing them! Here's how:
I did get a spray bottle and, at first, I squirted her from where she could not see me with the bottle in hand. After about 5 times, she was well aware of what was happening. But she also stopped trying to climb. She made some later attempts but, by then, I would just pick up the bottle and she would take off. Now she doesn't appear to be interested in the screens - and she seems much more content to be sitting in front of them than she was when I was constantly pulling her off of them. Everybody's much happier.
Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats