Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

Some strange ideas about cats...........

New Zealand environmental advocate launches campaign to ban cats as pets | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I don't think these ideas are that strange, at least in the sense that cats allowed to roam outside (which many domestic cats are, even not counting ferals) are a hazard to delicate ecosystems and birdlife. I can see how a conservationist would have something to say about it. He's never going to succeed with forcing everyone to phase out cat ownership though.

I'd say a cat owner educational outreach operation might make more sense. Like advising owners to keep cats inside, putting bells on collars, TNR for ferals...that sort of thing.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't think these ideas are that strange, at least in the sense that cats allowed to roam outside (which many domestic cats are, even not counting ferals) are a hazard to delicate ecosystems and birdlife. I can see how a conservationist would have something to say about it. He's never going to succeed with forcing everyone to phase out cat ownership though.

I'd say a cat owner educational outreach operation might make more sense. Like advising owners to keep cats inside, putting bells on collars, TNR for ferals...that sort of thing.
It makes even more sense because of the particular ecosystem involved. Before humans brought over cats (and rodents), New Zealand had very few predatory species. I agree the ban will never happen, though.

On a side note, Singapore has basically banned cats. The vast majority of citizens live in HDB flats, which are actually owned by the government. Cats are banned in HDB flats, and since that covers most people, cats are more or less banned.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My son lives in Singapore and he has sent many pictures of bird festivals where people gather to show off their birds. Quite a popular hobby over there and I can see how that would happen if cats are banned but I surely would hate to live anywhere where cats are banned--at least keep the indoor only cats and levy fines for those who let their cats out. actually wish we had something like that here.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
And registration for ownership is one thing, but I think that anyone who breeds cats (or dogs!) should be required to have a license to do so, and be inspected by some agency periodically. Everyone else who just has a pet cat or dog should be required to have them spayed/neutered.

This of course is all if a given government was a sane, rational, benevolent entity out to serve the common public good, as opposed to the madness that permeates most government institutions.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
That guy is a total nutball - New Zealanders would do well to toss that guy into the ocean during shark season...lol. New Zealand has one of the highest rate of kitty ownership in the world, so that may very well happen...lol.

I don't think cats should be required to be kept indoors either, as many people are allergic to cat litter, not to mention the santiary issue of waste disposal, and I doubt many people would bother with "registration" - I know I wouldn't.

As for the birdies, well, they're just going to have to learn to move a bit quicker...lol. If they evolved to be flightless because of the lack of predators, they'll just have to re-evolve their wings back again...lol.

Cats rule!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My son lives in Singapore and he has sent many pictures of bird festivals where people gather to show off their birds. Quite a popular hobby over there and I can see how that would happen if cats are banned but I surely would hate to live anywhere where cats are banned--at least keep the indoor only cats and levy fines for those who let their cats out. actually wish we had something like that here.
I was considering moving there some five years ago. There's a lot that I like, but when I found out I was almost certainly not be able to keep cats...well, let's just say I'm still in good old NJ, USA.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Everyone, not just those with cats, benefits from them by reduction in vermin. And I understand NZ has one of the world's highest rates of homes with cats.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

I don't think cats should be required to be kept indoors either, as many people are allergic to cat litter, not to mention the santiary issue of waste disposal, and I doubt many people would bother with "registration" - I know I wouldn't.
There are all kinds of litters out there. No one can be allergic to them all. Is it any more sanitary to get someone's cat's feces on their hands when gardening? Or a child get cat feces on them in their sandboxes?

Quote:
As for the birdies, well, they're just going to have to learn to move a bit quicker...lol. If they evolved to be flightless because of the lack of predators, they'll just have to re-evolve their wings back again...lol.

Cats rule!
It's people with your selfish uncaring attitude that cause the problems for both cats and wildlife.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Everyone, not just those with cats, benefits from them by reduction in vermin. And I understand NZ has one of the world's highest rates of homes with cats.
That would apply if cats only killed vermin. But they do not. They kill almost anything they can overpower including small snakes, lizards, skinks, young waterfowl.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats