Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:42 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times

Advertisements

This guy showed up a couple of weeks ago. He's about 1-2 years old, very friendy, and not neutered (of course). We think that someone on my street moved out and left him behind. He's very vocal, and yowls for food and attention. He's already been picking on another cat, has a few cuts to show for it, and he doesn't need to stay here as a stray.

Next week, I'm going to take him to the shelter (it's a no-kill shelter), where he'll get neutered, and be put up for adoption. He's already a big cat, and I'm sure that after he gets neutered and fills out, he's going to be a really big boy.

I'm hoping that when he goes to adoption events, he'll get a home fast, since he's friendly, and kitten season isn't here yet.
Attached Thumbnails
The latest stray...............-gray-cat.jpg   The latest stray...............-gray-cat2.jpg   The latest stray...............-gray-cat1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
We think that someone on my street moved out and left him behind. He's very vocal, and yowls for food and attention.
HOW can people just LEAVE a family member behind like this?!!!

He is very cute and looks friendly too -- I hope he gets a new home soon!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
What a beautiful boy. You can see his Secret Stripes in his tail. Hurray for you for rescuing him.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
How kind of you to be concerned. I too hope he finds a new home, with people who consider him a family member.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

People do it all the time.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes, he's very friendly and spends a lot of time (when he's not roaming) on my side porch. He was already here this morning. And he's WAY overdue to be neutered........

I hope he finds a good home, too.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:

It is terrible and sad...I did this once and my heart is still broken and I feel horribly guilty about it. I know I was in a sad state and times were desperate, nevermind that I was young and scared and clueless and it was a long time ago...but it's a guilt that will haunt me forever. And probably it should. I don't think I'd like myself much if I could shrug it off like it was no big thing.

In the last neighborhood I lived in, someone had moved away and left a VERY large dog behind. She was maybe a mastiff or mix...huge. She scared me at first, she would patrol the neighborhood nightly. Then I talked to the neighbors about her, she was not dangerous just very afraid of people and would let no one approach her. People put food out for her. No one could get her trapped long enough to call a shelter or rescue to get her. She lived out in the fields unless she was patrolling for her dinner. This went on a long time, until last fall someone managed to lure her into a fenced area and shut her in, and called a rescue to come get her. But after a year on her own and as afraid of people as she was, I'm not sure if they'd be able to socialize her enough to be adopted. Sad...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is terrible and sad...I did this once and my heart is still broken and I feel horribly guilty about it. I know I was in a sad state and times were desperate, nevermind that I was young and scared and clueless and it was a long time ago...but it's a guilt that will haunt me forever. And probably it should. I don't think I'd like myself much if I could shrug it off like it was no big thing.
I really, really don't get it. I've lived in many college towns and every spring there are a ton of animals who are left behind by departing students who lived in apartments. It makes me crazy.

The day I was leaving Ann Arbor to start the drive to New Hampshire, I couldn't find one of my two cats and was going INSANE thinking she might have gotten out when I was moving the last stuff out to the car. I was really on the verge of hysteria and there was no way in hell I was going to drive off without her. I finally found her ... inside a kitchen base cabinet, calmly grooming herself.

I'm not trying to say that I'm special for not leaving without her ... most people I know with pets would never dream of leaving without them. So these stories of people who DO just make me so, so sad.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
I really, really don't get it. I've lived in many college towns and every spring there are a ton of animals who are left behind by departing students who lived in apartments. It makes me crazy.

The day I was leaving Ann Arbor to start the drive to New Hampshire, I couldn't find one of my two cats and was going INSANE thinking she might have gotten out when I was moving the last stuff out to the car. I was really on the verge of hysteria and there was no way in hell I was going to drive off without her. I finally found her ... inside a kitchen base cabinet, calmly grooming herself.

I'm not trying to say that I'm special for not leaving without her ... most people I know with pets would never dream of leaving without them. So these stories of people who DO just make me so, so sad.
*Nods* In my case and I'm sure, some few others, the issue is that a person who has a great likelihood of becoming homeless, no stability, not enough money coming in to guarantee tomorrow's meals...people who are poor enough that catastrophe lurks on the doorstep, or people who just haven't got things figured out yet...really do not need to have a pet! There is no universal law that says that each human is entitled to an animal companion(s). But unfortunately some of us in that stage of life were also not wise enough to know that, and assumed it would work out OK and got an animal we had no business having. I wasn't ready to stand behind a commitment to provide a forever home. I couldn't even provide something like that for myself at that point.

People do a lot of unwise things.

And then there are those who have the means and resources to keep their animal but for some reason don't...and people who leave animals with a boyfriend/girlfriend who simply doesn't care as much...every scenario under the sun.

At least I learned. I waited 12+ years to make sure I was completely stable before taking in another animal. No way I'd ever fail that trust again.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Are you 100% sure someone left it behind? I think you should run an ad or put some notices in the local stores and notify the police in case someone is looking for it. I briefly lost my cat in California while I was moving. It delayed my departure for a day until I found her. I would have been heartbroken if I hadn't. I just hope someone else feels that way about the cat and it wasn't just dumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats