U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,844,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cleaning up dog poop isn't fun but at least it's all outside. Litter boxes smell. Most cat owners don't smell them because they live with them, like a smoker can't smell the smoke inside their houses, but I can smell cat boxes even in homes of owners who are meticulous at maintaining them.
You are quite wrong on litterbox smell. Unless you live with these people, you can't know how meticulous (or not) they are about scooping. We have 4 cats and there is no smell in our home or our RV. The only time there's a "smell" is if the kitten don't cover her feces. The kitten is getting much better about this now. She now almost always covers her stool. Saying litterboxes smell in general is misleading and untrue. They only smell when someone isn't scooping twice a day or they have a cat who isn't covering their feces. Or they have a male cat that isn't neutered. Or they never scrub out the litterbox itself.

Quote:
I've never been in a house that had a cat that I couldn't smell. I'm not saying it's awful. I'm just saying that I can smell it. I love cats and I would have one, but I can understand my husband's point---it's not his preference to have that in the house.
Why don't you look in to how to keep the box from smelling instead of just giving up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 PM

225 posts, read 273,969 times
I've met more women than men who don't like cats.

My cat LOVES my male friends; and they have learned to love her back (at least to her satisfaction).

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You are quite wrong on litterbox smell. Unless you live with these people, you can't know how meticulous (or not) they are about scooping. We have 4 cats and there is no smell in our home or our RV. The only time there's a "smell" is if the kitten don't cover her feces. The kitten is getting much better about this now. She now almost always covers her stool. Saying litterboxes smell in general is misleading and untrue. They only smell when someone isn't scooping twice a day or they have a cat who isn't covering their feces. Or they have a male cat that isn't neutered. Or they never scrub out the litterbox itself.
J don't believe it! Invite me over for dinner so I can smell for myself.

Quote:
Why don't you look in to how to keep the box from smelling instead of just giving up?
I'm a woman who knows how to chose her battles. For the sake of the cat, this isn't a battle I would choose. My husband once said, "Why would you want to bring into the house what I want to shoot in the yard?" Enough said. The man HATES cats. Don't worry. Don't worry. He's not shooting cats. He's just dramatic in expression. If I insisted on having a cat, he would treat it well. But I'm not in the type of marriage where we force things on each other. I respect his feelings because they are intense. My feelings for cats are not nearly as intense as his so I'm not giving in on anything of huge significance to me. If my cat were still alive prior to meeting him, that would have been a problem because I believe pets are a commitment for life, and I wouldn't have gotten rid of the cat for his sake. My husband lucked out because I was cat-less when I met him.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
J don't believe it! Invite me over for dinner so I can smell for myself.
Do you live in TN?

Quote:
I'm a woman who knows how to chose her battles. For the sake of the cat, this isn't a battle I would choose. My husband once said, "Why would you want to bring into the house what I want to shoot in the yard?" Enough said.
I couldn't live with a man who said something like that. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Quote:
The man HATES cats. Don't worry. Don't worry. He's not shooting cats. He's just dramatic in expression.
Why does he hate them? What did they ever do to him to make him feel that way?

Quote:
If I insisted on having a cat, he would treat it well. But I'm not in the type of marriage where we force things on each other. I respect his feelings because they are intense. My feelings for cats are not nearly as intense as his so I'm not giving in on anything of huge significance to me. If my cat were still alive prior to meeting him, that would have been a problem because I believe pets are a commitment for life, and I wouldn't have gotten rid of the cat for his sake. My husband lucked out because I was cat-less when I met him.
Fortunately I met a man after my divorce in the late 1980s that liked cats as much as I do. Both his daughters are also "cat people." The few men I met before him didn't care much for animals - dogs or cats. I quickly lost interest in such men. I knew I would never be happy with them, or they with me.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
I couldn't live with a man who said something like that. Sorry, but that's how I feel.
I don't expect people on the internet to "get" my husband's sense of humor. I do. He's absolutely hilarious.

Quote:
Fortunately I met a man after my divorce in the late 1980s that liked cats as much as I do. Both his daughters are also "cat people." The few men I met before him didn't care much for animals - dogs or cats. I quickly lost interest in such men. I knew I would never be happy with them, or they with me.
I'd feel the same way about men who didn't like dogs. Cats weren't a deal breaker for me.

I'm posting in this thread because it's about men who don't like cats. I happen to be married to a man who doesn't like cats.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,595,481 times
My wife and I love cats.
We have two and both of them are very different from one another.

They sleep with us on our bed.

Last night Starla my beautiful cat girl took her regular position of laying next to me with her head tucked neatly in my arm pit and her body stretched paralell with mine.

She's seven years old and very healthy and God willing she will live a long life.
When she finally passes you will never see a grown man cry like I will.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
My wife and I love cats.
We have two and both of them are very different from one another.
They sleep with us on our bed.
My grown son and his SO also like cats and have two right now. The old one died and they can't replace it as only two are allowed where they now live. Their cats are like children to them.

Quote:
Last night Starla my beautiful cat girl took her regular position of laying next to me with her head tucked neatly in my arm pit and her body stretched paralell with mine.

She's seven years old and very healthy and God willing she will live a long life.
When she finally passes you will never see a grown man cry like I will.
Plenty of grown men cry when their cat or dog dies. I mentioned before here that my friend, a retired NYC detective who just about "saw it all" during his working years, cried like a baby when his old cat died. She was 17 yrs old. After retirement he was struck down with something like Huntington's disease which finally killed him. Those last years, while his kids were in collage and his wife working, the cat was his constant companion and spent most of her time in his lap. It took him awhile to get over it......

Last edited by =^..^=; 03-03-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I'm posting in this thread because it's about men who don't like cats. I happen to be married to a man who doesn't like cats.
But what reason did he gave you for not liking them? Did he ever actually live with a cat in the home? Was he scratched or bitten as a child? I can't help be curious what it is that makes some people dislike cats.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM

35,061 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Default Do men tend to not like cats because they are control freaks?

I'm a guy and I like cats.

Ernest Hemingway was a man's man and he adored his cats and his characters often had cats.

Jack Kerouac was certainly no wimp and he loved cats.

Aerophant: Jack Kerouac's cat

Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,269,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
Just wondering if this is why or is it that a lot of guys like cats but its not supposed to be manly? I have always liked cats, but felt it was not something you could say, men had to like dogs. LOL
I have known lots of men who like cats. In fact, my dh, who was raised with them, prefers cats, which is a good thing, since I am no dog lover.

Anyway, it has been my PERSONAL experience that people who prefer dogs to cats generally do so because they have not had a lot of interaction or exposure to cats. However, the people who HATE (I MEAN HATE, HATE, HATE) cats usually do so because they have a need to control their animals absolutely. They are so intimidated and threatened by the fact that cats cannot be CONTROLLED the same way that dogs can, that they simply cannot deal with not being the master to their little slaves.

It's kinda sad, actually.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or