Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

It's getting into breeding season now. People will be coming across unweaned kittens and thinking they were abandoned by their mothers. In most cases this isn't true. The mother is off looking for food and water. Before you take them from the place you find them, make sure the mother is truly gone. She may be away for hours at a time. If you take her babies she will frantically search for them. And hand raising bottle fed kittens is a full time 24/7 job. Many kits die due to the person's inexperience or ignorance of hand rearing.

Please be sure the mother cat is truly gone before picking up the babies. And never ever take them to a kill-shelter as most will euthanize them before you leave the parking lot. Some will leave the babies to chill and starve until a tech comes in and that can be the next day.

If you're not sure the mother cat is dead or somehow gone, it's to keep returning at different times to make sure. A truly hungry mother cat, forced to constantly hunt, will not be spending a lot of time with her kits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Unfortunately this is true. Right after the gray cat that was left behind got a home, a pregnant one showed up. I would say she's about halfway along. She's very friendly, so I assume she's another dumpoff, and I don't see her every day. But in this situation, time is of the essence, and I'm hoping to get her soon, so that I can take her to the shelter.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It's getting into breeding season now. People will be coming across unweaned kittens and thinking they were abandoned by their mothers. In most cases this isn't true. The mother is off looking for food and water. Before you take them from the place you find them, make sure the mother is truly gone. She may be away for hours at a time. If you take her babies she will frantically search for them. And hand raising bottle fed kittens is a full time 24/7 job. Many kits die due to the person's inexperience or ignorance of hand rearing.

Please be sure the mother cat is truly gone before picking up the babies. And never ever take them to a kill-shelter as most will euthanize them before you leave the parking lot. Some will leave the babies to chill and starve until a tech comes in and that can be the next day.

If you're not sure the mother cat is dead or somehow gone, it's to keep returning at different times to make sure. A truly hungry mother cat, forced to constantly hunt, will not be spending a lot of time with her kits.

Good advice....perhaps leave some food at the site for when mama returns? and water........

Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
shelters.....

at least try to find a decent one. Many shelters rely on "convict labor". Ok, this is too harsh a term, but does describe how some work. County run shelters often get people working off fines, etc. My ds was assigned to work in a shelter as part of community service. I went with him, and helped out, too. We are animal lovers, and actually ended up adopting a cat there---my Marshmallow, referred to in other threads. But many of the helpers there were not animal lovers, and barely did whatever to log in their time. Just try to find a shelter that has compassionate workers.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Good advice....perhaps leave some food at the site for when mama returns? and water........
That's not always a good idea as food and water can attract dogs, racoons and other predators that will quickly locate and kill the kittens. If the kits are located where they can't be snatched by a predator, then putting food a short distance from the nest would be fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Unfortunately this is true. Right after the gray cat that was left behind got a home, a pregnant one showed up. I would say she's about halfway along. She's very friendly, so I assume she's another dumpoff, and I don't see her every day. But in this situation, time is of the essence, and I'm hoping to get her soon, so that I can take her to the shelter.
If she's pregnant they will kill her - unless it's a no-kill shelter. Also make sure she's not nursing a litter.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
There are some evil, horrible people in this world.

Let me tell you the story of "Cookie", I was living in a basement apartment some 20 years ago, and saw a black cat hanging around, I thought it was a stray, and paid no attention to it. I kept hearing some high pitched crying, and wondered what it was...I went outside to investigate, I could hear frantic, mews, and the stray cat was very agitated.

There was a rock placed over a drainage pipe, I moved the rock, and found three little kits, the Mama cat rushed in, I was horrified, "who would deliberately try to kill baby kittens? ", and I saw my neighbour, smirking. Sick and twisted. I fostered the Mama and her kits in my apartment. The sicko told the landlord, who asked me..I told him the whole story. Sicko was confronted on his evil behavior, he was a person of trust at his church, and he said I was over dramatic. Right.

Cookie was adopted by a friend, the kittens got good homes. Note: Cookie was not a feral cat. Obviously just abandoned.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If she's pregnant they will kill her - unless it's a no-kill shelter. Also make sure she's not nursing a litter.
She would be going to the same shelter that the gray cat went to, and it's a no-kill shelter. The other shelter is privately run, and they want a $50 donation to relinquish a cat. I don't know if that would apply if she already had her kittens, and if they would want $50 per kitten.

All I can do is try, it's been raining, and I haven't seen her for a few days.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Let me tell you the story of "Cookie", I was living in a basement apartment some 20 years ago, and saw a black cat hanging around, I thought it was a stray, and paid no attention to it. I kept hearing some high pitched crying, and wondered what it was...I went outside to investigate, I could hear frantic, mews, and the stray cat was very agitated.

There was a rock placed over a drainage pipe, I moved the rock, and found three little kits, the Mama cat rushed in, I was horrified, "who would deliberately try to kill baby kittens? ", and I saw my neighbour, smirking. Sick and twisted. I fostered the Mama and her kits in my apartment. The sicko told the landlord, who asked me..I told him the whole story. Sicko was confronted on his evil behavior, he was a person of trust at his church, and he said I was over dramatic. Right.

Cookie was adopted by a friend, the kittens got good homes. Note: Cookie was not a feral cat. Obviously just abandoned.
Man I swear...

I'm normally such a "live and let live" person. I don't judge others. I agree to disagree. I'm calm and peaceful, I don't hate or hold a grudge. I have no "enemies" in my life.

But the thought of people committing acts of cruelty to animals like this makes black stormclouds gather in my brain-space. It actually toasts my biscuits that a person can legally get away with something like this (even if they are convicted of animal cruelty, the punishments don't often fit the crime)...and yet a person can't lay a finger on an evil you-know-what like this without facing very serious penalties...in my worldview, the life of a malicious and deliberate animal-abuser is worth very much less than those of his victims. I'd have a hard time restraining myself...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And there are websites to prove it, complete with pictures of what was done by these sick evil people getting their jollies.

Quote:

.......There was a rock placed over a drainage pipe, I moved the rock, and found three little kits, the Mama cat rushed in, I was horrified, "who would deliberately try to kill baby kittens?
Sick evil sociopaths without conscience or ability to feel empathy. People who should never have been born.

Quote:
....", and I saw my neighbour, smirking. Sick and twisted. I fostered the Mama and her kits in my apartment. The sicko told the landlord, who asked me..I told him the whole story. Sicko was confronted on his evil behavior, he was a person of trust at his church, and he said I was over dramatic. Right.
Religion/churches never made better kinder or more humane people. See the Inquisition, the crusades, witch burnings, pedophile priests and those who hid them. A person, be he or she an atheist, an agnostic or a religious fundamentalist is either good or bad and would be with or without the church.

Quote:
Thank you for saving this little family years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats