U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,841,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Gee. That is what the FCC is reporting. guess they just dont have your information. Stupod government beurocrats.
Then send my information to them and educate them as you should have educated yourself. Maybe they'll force the all ISPs to provide Broadband UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD to all areas of the USA.

I found no such information on their site concerning where service is DOWNLOAD-UNLIMITED.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,041,515 times
Are you confusing download limits on wireless with verizon fios for the home. Fios has no limits. And besides, the dropcam doesnt push many bytes.

My cat is still safe. Asleep but hanging perilously on the top of the couch. Hope she survives the foot fall to the pillow below her.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Are you confusing download limits on wireless with verizon fios for the home. Fios has no limits. And besides, the dropcam doesnt push many bytes.
How can I confuse download limits when we get charged MORE when we go over 5 GIGS? There is no fiber-optics anywhere where I live.

Quote:
My cat is still safe. Asleep but hanging perilously on the top of the couch. Hope she survives the foot fall to the pillow below her.
And that has what to do with your unlimited-download service and dropcam?

Last edited by =^..^=; 03-17-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Nothing...but i thought you would like to know what my left alone cat was up to

If you dont have fiber optics you are int the minority in the US. But what does that have to do with leaving a cat alone for a couple of days. You cant be a helicopter cat owner all the time.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

If you dont have fiber optics you are int the minority in the US.
That may be so, but not all Americans live in cities and towns. Does that surprise you?

Quote:
But what does that have to do with leaving a cat alone for a couple of days. You cant be a helicopter cat owner all the time.
The same thing cat owning helicopter pilots and people who think everyone has access to fiber-optics have..........

BTW, I can well afford $30 to take my cats to the vet. I would not spend $90 a month just to watch a few videos online.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,470,710 times
Quote:

If you dont have fiber optics you are int the minority in the US. But what does that have to do with leaving a cat alone for a couple of days. You cant be a helicopter cat owner all the time.
Hell I live pretty close to a large city and don't have fiber optics, at least not right to my house. Probably another few years away at least, maybe more. I assume the cable company may use some from wherever the head end is. Fiber optic or cable company service speeds are comparable. But many are still not within reach of either of these, which means either capped monthly data amounts from satellite internet providers or capped monthly data amounts from cell tower internet providers. Sprint 4G is supposedly not capped, but the rural availability is not good. I saw one called Zing, this probably just uses Sprint 4G, not sure. Over $100 for an unlimited connection. I'm paying about $50 for a moderately fast cable connection. I don't even know how fast it is right now oddly enough; Comcast has kept the rate the same but upped the speed a number of times.

All that said, the camera (which is where we started with this diversion) would not be using bandwidth 100% of the time; it would only use it when something was actually logged in. I have a camera. One of the better features is that it senses motion and emails still pictures which are rather small and not bandwidth hogging. Even if I log in and look at the live video feed, well, I don't really know how much data that uses but if it's only for a minute then it isn't much.

The cameras can be panned around remotely if you get that kind, but for leaving it set for a while one good place to point it would be the water or food bowl. Also any favorite sleeping spot (but my cat chooses from too many spots), or even, yes, in the general direction of the litter box. Not to see what the cat is doing in there but just somewhere to catch the motion that will inevitably happen when the cat walks to or from these places.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM

My cam is motion activated. Of course, the cat does have to move...something she doesnt do when she sleeps most of the day.

And to get back to the discussion...cats can be left alone with almost no danger...its the cat owners that dont want to be away from them.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,470,710 times
Generally true that there would be no danger. Certainly my cat is alone 10 hours most weekdays, has been alone for few-day stretches, etc. But of course the longer you extend it, AND the more times you do it, the higher the probability of issues arising from it.

The issues aren't just danger though but just well-being of the cat. While the cat doesn't necessarily DO much alone (eat, sleep, litterbox) the idea that a cat is fine like that for many days on end with no human contact does not, in fact, follow.

Overall to me, in the grand scheme of all cat care, it's probably not the worst thing you could do. But I would also say it's not the best thing to do either.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM

I found my cat outside my house one day. The vet said it had to be out for a long time...lots of fight scars on her. So she was alone. Now she has found cat heaven...food, shelter, vet care, and scratches behind the ear...probably better then sex for a cat.

I leave her alone 11 hours a day and all weekend. I still have trouble figuring out what danger she is in that i can stop. Other than the house burning down her biggest danger is that something will wake her up. Those that have to hover around their cat arent pet owners...they are substituting an animal for a child...which you do have to watch constantly

Old 03-17-2013, 12:29 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,973,569 times
I couldn't possibly leave Sushi, the Soul-Sucking Servant of Satan, alone for extended periods of time. Even when I go to work, he gets bored and starts redecorating. He'll drag all the little throw rugs from upstairs and jam them under the couch. Once I came home to find the potato basket empty, with a single potato carefully placed on every available chair and seating surface. He steals stuff from the kitchen and buries it in closets. He's even figured out how to open the very complicated butter dish, and licks all the butter out. I thought I was losing my mind at one point. "I could have SWORN I replaced the butter in that dish. Maybe I was mistaken."
You have to wonder what goes on in their furry little heads. I've bought him every toy under the sun....he ignores them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or