U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 AM

1,744 posts, read 1,437,917 times
Default Are Greenies made in China?

My cats have been eating Greenies for years and they love them. However, I am getting concerned about continuing to give them these treats because so many other treats (mostly for dogs) have been recalled in recent times. I would like to avoid buying any treats that are made in China since that seems to be the source of the problem. The Greenies packages say they are "manufactured for" the Nutro Company in Franklin, TN. To me that does not mean made in USA, since usually when products are made here they are very clear about it, using those exact words.

I think they might have been made here in the past, but not anymore. For a while I could not find the beef flavor at all, and now that it's back I notice the packaging of only that flavor has changed. It used to be a reddish brown on the edge and now it's a brighter red. I don't know if they changed the formula while they were being moved to a new country.

Does anybody know where these are truly being made? I have a feeling if I call the company they are going to smooth it over and not tell the whole story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
I can't find anything definitive in quick search, but my guess would be that they are made here but the source of some of the ingredients could still be elsewhere. Greenies/Nutro is in the Mars Inc. stable of pet food brands.

There are any number of other possible choices you might try. For example my cat loves the fairly widely availble Zuke's Natural Purrz which are definitely made in the US. Since there's no taurine in these it seems rather plausible that all the ingredients are US-sourced. (Synthetic taurine comes almost exclusively from China.) I also occasionally like to get freeze-dried treats from Wysong but these are a bit harder to come by. These are far from the only choices. You just have to go to a pet specialty store rather than a supermarket or discount store to find them. Shouldn't have to search too much.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM

4,931 posts, read 2,201,010 times
Hm, I sort of doubt all ingredients are made in the U.S. but, call them and find out. You may search for some locally made treats or learn to make some yourself off the internet.
These are some awesome little cat dwellings made in the U.S. and eco friendly as well. I just got a couple and thought I'd share.
Designer Cat Houses. Economical, Eco-friendly, Configurable CATTY STACKS.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 AM

1,744 posts, read 1,437,917 times
One of my cats does take Zuke's Hip Action since she has pain in her legs, and she does like it. I know they're definitely made in the USA so I think I will try the Natural Purrz also. Thank you. I know I also need to shop around for others. My girls are fussy, though, so I need to find small packages in case they don't like them.

Those catty stacks are adorable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats