U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,539,978 times

Advertisements

Remember the recent study that suggest feral cats are responsible for massive carnage? Audubon's editor Ted Williams, wrote an editorial in the Orlando Sentinel stating all feral cats should be killed...either by injection or poisoning them with Tylenol. A quote:

“One is Tylenol (the human pain medication)—a completely selective feral-cat poison. But the TNR lobby has blocked its registration for this use. The other is trap and euthanize. TE is practiced by state and federal wildlife managers; but municipal TE needs to happen if the annihilation of native wildlife is to be significantly slowed.”

You can read more about the fall-out from the study here:

Audubon Editor Suggests Poisoning Feral Cats » Vox Felina – Feral/free-roaming cats and trap-neuter-return/TNR: critiquing the opposition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
I think Florida has enough invasive species like the Burmese python to worry about, which are wreaking havoc with the natural balance. It could be also argued that the invasive species causing the most problems is HUMANS: Retirees, folks fleeing colder climates, drug smugglers and users, etc etc. No feral cat brought on the draining of the Everglades or the endangerment of the manatee.
Making those kinds of suggestions in the mainstream media only encourages animal cruelty. I'm glad the "TNR lobby" succeeded.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,539,978 times
I do believe that cats in general kill wildlife and that is an important issue, but this suggestion is just appalling and terrible. Downright EVIL, actually. I don't know if it would be useful to e-mail Audubon and express dismay over what their editor is advocating.

Even if one didn't think feral cats have a right not to die in agony, even his statement that Tylenol is a 'completely selective feral cat poison" is utterly false. I'm pretty sure Tylenol can't distinguish between feral and owned cats, and even if I don't think people should allow their cats outdoors, I don't think the cats deserve to die for their owner's choice.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM

102 posts, read 176,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I don't know if it would be useful to e-mail Audubon and express dismay over what their editor is advocating.
Please read . News - Alley Cat Allies

Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,326,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I think Florida has enough invasive species like the Burmese python to worry about, which are wreaking havoc with the natural balance. It could be also argued that the invasive species causing the most problems is HUMANS: Retirees, folks fleeing colder climates, drug smugglers and users, etc etc. No feral cat brought on the draining of the Everglades or the endangerment of the manatee.
Making those kinds of suggestions in the mainstream media only encourages animal cruelty. I'm glad the "TNR lobby" succeeded.
I'm with you 100% on this one!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM

970 posts, read 1,744,196 times
Poisoning cats with Tylenol is not painless, and it is also completely illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats