Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM

635 posts, read 1,680,782 times

Advertisements

Just saw this today, anyone heard, seen or know anything about this breed (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/03/20/news/californian/31906192121.txt - broken link) Puppykat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Spelled it wrong, the breed is PuppyKat.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,388,307 times
Yes, the breeder is just a couple cities away from me. They are so adorable, I want one, but kinda pricey.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 PM

They look sooooo cute! Tkdmom, have you seen one in person?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,550,798 times
Cute as they are, this woman is just plain irresponsible. I understand keeping certain breeds going requires breeding them, but this is a breed she made up! It is no different than the designer dogs out there...people pay top dollar for them, but a mutt is a mutt. There are already enough bad owners out there letting their in-tact cats roam as they please, there are already TOO many kittens for this reason, and because people like this gal realize they can make a profit by smacking a cute name on it and telling everyone it is a cat with a dog personality. You never know what kind of personality a kitten will have until you get it home, a cat will have whatever personality it wants to have, this crazy woman is lying through her teeth (or deluding herself at least if she believes it) when she claims all her puppykats will have a dog-like personality. Not even all DOGS have a dog-like personality! The article states that she spays/neuters every puppycat kitten before it leaves, and it is dangerous to do this before the 6 month mark...(I seriously doubt she waits that long to adopt them out since at 6 months they are already quite big and most people want a kitten while it is still little, especially if they are paying a lot of $ for it)...then she proceeds to say she knows what she is doing. Yeah, right. I hope they shut her down.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM

216 posts, read 679,810 times
I have to agree with luvmycat......you can get virtually any kind of cat you want out of rescue right now. I have seen purebred cats, from Ragdolls to siamese, to rexes... any age, sex, temperament, etc. You can specify almost anything, and if you are willing to wait a bit, find it in rescue. There are plenty of cats out there with "dog-like" personalities, thats nothing new.

Cats are being euthed by the millions in this country, its very sad that people would be trying to create a new breed right now. There are probably 20 cats on death row in this breeders local shelter who will come when called, and are social and friendly, and could be marketed as "doglike". This is marketing, and is really just another way for someone to make money. This is the feline equivalent of "labradoodles". I can walk into my local Petsmart right now and find a cat from our local rescue organization that is all that and more.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Cute as they are, this woman is just plain irresponsible. I understand keeping certain breeds going requires breeding them, but this is a breed she made up! It is no different than the designer dogs out there...people pay top dollar for them, but a mutt is a mutt. There are already enough bad owners out there letting their in-tact cats roam as they please, there are already TOO many kittens for this reason, and because people like this gal realize they can make a profit by smacking a cute name on it and telling everyone it is a cat with a dog personality. You never know what kind of personality a kitten will have until you get it home, a cat will have whatever personality it wants to have, this crazy woman is lying through her teeth (or deluding herself at least if she believes it) when she claims all her puppykats will have a dog-like personality. Not even all DOGS have a dog-like personality! The article states that she spays/neuters every puppycat kitten before it leaves, and it is dangerous to do this before the 6 month mark...(I seriously doubt she waits that long to adopt them out since at 6 months they are already quite big and most people want a kitten while it is still little, especially if they are paying a lot of $ for it)...then she proceeds to say she knows what she is doing. Yeah, right. I hope they shut her down.

also agree! I've heard SO many stories of people teaching their cats various tricks like fetch and roll over, and many stories of cats, especially certain breeds like Abyssinians (I think that's the breed I'm thinking of) that are very dog-like in personality and follow their owner around too. these are characteristics any random bred DSH could naturally have or be socialized and trained to have

the thing that REALLY irks me is that she's only been doing this for 7 years! 7 YEARS! 7 years ago she stumbled upon some seemingly feral cats and know she's got her own little cattery up and running. that's ridiculous! the orignal ats are likely still young and alive; what if it turns ut they are carriers for a nasty degenerative disease that won't become noticeable until they are older? she's only been selectively breeding them for 3 years, for too soon to lock down the traits she's breeding for and too soon to see if these cats aren't carriers for some disease. plus, there is NO way in hell this woman has learned enough about genetics and cat breeding in 7 years to do this properly. she's apparently mixing Manx into her line, a breed that has its own health issue (a close friend of mine had an orange Manx that died fairly young for a cat (it was around 10, don't know what it died from). the new kitten she got had to be PTS at 5 months or so due to bowel issues)

she's a irresponsible BYB, end of story, and it would be hypocritical to praise her while damning breeders of "hybrid dogs" like puggles

Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 AM

A puggle?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:56 AM

74 posts, read 141,406 times
It's not a dog until it dives into the lake to retrieve the ball.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Very irresponsible woman. I would never consider to buy such a cat. Thankfully, the comments to the NCT story indicate that most people think this "breeding" has to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats