U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM

7,536 posts, read 3,245,576 times

Advertisements

Potamus got out a couple of months ago (not sure of the timing on that) and got preggers. (This WILL be her last litter!) Anyway, it's not her 1st litter but it is mine.

She's acting kind of clingy for her-always wants to be near me. That's out of character. And I noticed nipples on her belly. Guess I'm being a woos cuz I had a roommate whose cat couldn't deliver her kittens. We didn't realize it until way too late. The cat lived but, well, 'nuf said.

Guess I should ignore her and see what happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:39 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,273,728 times
Puts some pickles down and see if she will eat them

Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM

6,632 posts, read 5,401,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Potamus got out a couple of months ago (not sure of the timing on that) and got preggers. (This WILL be her last litter!) Anyway, it's not her 1st litter but it is mine.
I'm wondering why you didn't get her spayed as soon as you got her. Finding homes for kittens is extremely difficult unless you use one of the dangerous sites like Craigslist. Do you plan to keep all the kittens? Cats carry about 62 to 65 days. When was she in heat?

Quote:
She's acting kind of clingy for her-always wants to be near me. That's out of character. And I noticed nipples on her belly. Guess I'm being a woos cuz I had a roommate whose cat couldn't deliver her kittens. We didn't realize it until way too late. The cat lived but, well, 'nuf said.

Guess I should ignore her and see what happens?
You can take her in and get her spayed now and avoid the kittens and trying to find homes for them all. Planning to take them to your shelter when weaned = 80% of cats don't leave the shelters alive. Vets will spay pregnant cats.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,589,681 times
Take her to the vet and find out what you're dealing with. If your cat is pregnant, she should show noticeable weight gain and increased appetite. If kittens are on the way, start immediately to try to find homes for them. Ask everyone you know who is stable and who likes cats, ask them to ask friends who are stable, and so on. Litters average four to six kittens, but your cat may have fewer or more - anywhere from one (rare) to eight (also rare, thankfully).

Make preparations for mama to care for her kittens for the first eight weeks. She'll need a warm, quiet place to give birth - a closet with a box with old towels that you can throw away later (and replace with other old towels) is ideal. She may need extra nutrition now and will need more food while she's nursing, plus a steady supply of clean water (she should have this anyway).

Cats are generally excellent mothers, but keep an eye on her while she's giving birth and afterwards, to make sure she knows what's she's doing. Just don't crowd her or handle the kittens too early unless there's an obvious sign of trouble.

Kittens' eyes open around two weeks, and they'll gradually become more physically active and stronger after this time. They can start to learn to eat and drink independently around four to six weeks, and using the litter box can be taught around the same time. Kittten chow is available but not essential for newly weaned kittens. Finding homes is easier if the kittens are litter-trained - it's a very easy process. Mama cat will take care of matters before potty training time begins. Don't remove the kittens from their mother until they are at least eight weeks old. You may find it easier to find homes for them if you take care of the kittens' initial vaccinations, send toys and kitten chow with them, etc. Learn how to tell male from female kittens (it's easy) so you'll be able to provide the right info. to new owners.

Read up on kittens so you'll know how to care for them - don't let them outside until they are at least six weeks old (and then go with them), make sure they're inside at night, make sure they are safe in general, let mama cat do her thing if she's a good mother - and make sure this is her last litter. Kittens are absolutely delightful creatures - there are just far too many of them.

Good luck to you and mama cat.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,665,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'm wondering why you didn't get her spayed as soon as you got her. Finding homes for kittens is extremely difficult unless you use one of the dangerous sites like Craigslist. Do you plan to keep all the kittens? Cats carry about 62 to 65 days. When was she in heat?

You can take her in and get her spayed now and avoid the kittens and trying to find homes for them all. Planning to take them to your shelter when weaned = 80% of cats don't leave the shelters alive. Vets will spay pregnant cats.

Sadly, I agree with this ^^^

We found a stray she was half-starved, and pregnant! We didn't know she was pregnant at the time. We fattened her up to the point she looked like a lving creature, then took her to the Humane Society for spaying. They found 12 embryos in her! They just went ahead and removed them. It was sad, but how to find homes for 12 kittens? BTW, the Humane will do spaying for a very low cost. This was about 6 years ago, but it cost us about $30.

Oftentimes people troll Craig's List for "snake food" It's a cruel world!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
You can take her to the vet and see if she can be spayed before the kittens are born. It sounds cruel, but it really isn't. We had our cat spayed at five weeks; I'm sure glad we did because the vet said she had nine embryos, none of which would likely have survived, and the vet said our cat might not have survived, either. She was only eight months old when she found us, and we had no idea she was pregnant.

Take her to the vet, anyway, to make sure she's in good health, and the vet will tell you what to look for when it's her time.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 AM

6,632 posts, read 5,401,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Sadly, I agree with this ^^^

We found a stray she was half-starved, and pregnant! We didn't know she was pregnant at the time. We fattened her up to the point she looked like a lving creature, then took her to the Humane Society for spaying. They found 12 embryos in her! They just went ahead and removed them. It was sad, but how to find homes for 12 kittens? BTW, the Humane will do spaying for a very low cost. This was about 6 years ago, but it cost us about $30.

Oftentimes people troll Craig's List for "snake food" It's a cruel world!
There are also "thrill killers" using Craigslist looking for cheap and free victims to torture and kill to get their sick jollies. There are also flippers of all kinds rounding up free kitties and pups and dogs to sell to labs for experiments... I wont even post what else is going on with places like Craigslist.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 AM

8,145 posts, read 3,958,746 times
you can tell she's getting ready to give birth if she starts making a nest..she'll look for some nice quiet spot..if she licks a lot down there, you know she's getting near...if you take the nipples and squeeze and milk comes out, then you know she's not far off...
It depends how close she is to giving birth, I'd have her spayed now rather than trying to find good homes for kittens. Then again lots of people love kittens but throw them out after a few months.. Either way a sad life may be ahead ...Unless you charge for the kittens, at least that'll keep some idiots away...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM

7,536 posts, read 3,245,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
you can tell she's getting ready to give birth if she starts making a nest..she'll look for some nice quiet spot..if she licks a lot down there, you know she's getting near...if you take the nipples and squeeze and milk comes out, then you know she's not far off...
It depends how close she is to giving birth, I'd have her spayed now rather than trying to find good homes for kittens. Then again lots of people love kittens but throw them out after a few months.. Either way a sad life may be ahead ...Unless you charge for the kittens, at least that'll keep some idiots away...
Thanks, Maggie. That's what I wanted to know. I can't get close enough to squeeze the nipples (just lately have been able to pet her but not if she sees my hand).
Called 3 local vets and none will spay her at this point.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Called 3 local vets and none will spay her at this point.
At least you've tried. Good luck with the kittens; hope all goes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats