Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times

Advertisements

So my cat has been crying a bit lately, but I know he also does it to get my attention. Whether to feed him or clean the litter or show him attention. Yesterday he was crying a little more than normal. So I decided to check him and noticed some white stuff that looked like it was small and crusty and stuck to his fur by his behind. He wouldn't let me pull some off to get a closer look. When I did a search, everything points to tapeworm from fleas. He's an indoor cat. He does't have fleas upon inspection. When I took him to the vet months ago he didn't have this. So I have no idea where this came from or if it could be something else.

I thought about taking a pic of it and bringing it to the vet. There was also suggestions of getting over the counter dewormers, but I don't want to give him something he might not need.

Anyone else ever deal with this before? This is the first time I remember seeing this on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
You can put them in a sandwich bag and take them to the vet. It does sound like tapeworm. I would not use something over the counter. Your vet can give you the necessary meds.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Tapeworm looks like wiggling white rice stuck around the cats anus. If the cat is long haired it can be bits of feces. Take him to your vet and let him have a look.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Don't cats get tapeworms from having fleas?

I thought if your cat gets a flea infestation, that after getting rid of the fleas you should, as a rule, deworm them. What kinds of "tests" would a vet do to figure out if your cat had a tapeworm? Do cats lose weight with a tapeworm?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Don't cats get tapeworms from having fleas?

I thought if your cat gets a flea infestation, that after getting rid of the fleas you should, as a rule, deworm them. What kinds of "tests" would a vet do to figure out if your cat had a tapeworm? Do cats lose weight with a tapeworm?
Bring a stool sample to the vet. They can tell.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
So my cat has been crying a bit lately, but I know he also does it to get my attention. Whether to feed him or clean the litter or show him attention. Yesterday he was crying a little more than normal. So I decided to check him and noticed some white stuff that looked like it was small and crusty and stuck to his fur by his behind. He wouldn't let me pull some off to get a closer look. When I did a search, everything points to tapeworm from fleas. He's an indoor cat. He does't have fleas upon inspection. When I took him to the vet months ago he didn't have this. So I have no idea where this came from or if it could be something else.

I thought about taking a pic of it and bringing it to the vet. There was also suggestions of getting over the counter dewormers, but I don't want to give him something he might not need.

Anyone else ever deal with this before? This is the first time I remember seeing this on him.
take hi/her to a vet ;tehy can detwermine what it is ans treat it. tapeworms are very coomon and their eggs look like tiny white eggs near the anus.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM

There are two possible vectors for tapeworm infestation. Fleas and eating vermin. If your cat is a strictly-indoor cat, tapeworm isn't likely. Unless you have rats or mice running around.
Yes, they do tend to lose weight when the tapeworm grows.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Tapeworm eggs look like grains of rice or sesame seeds, not crusty white stuff.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Yes, he's been an indoor cat this whole time and doesn't have fleas and I've never seen any vermin around.

The stuff I saw (and I didn't see it a few hours ago when I checked again) was much smaller than rice, maybe 1/3 of that size. I'm wondering if it could also be litter stuck to his butt or just something he got into.

I'm going to keep checking, and if I still see it by the weekend, I'll bring a stool sample to the vet.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
my cat had a tapeworm when I lived in Florida, you can bring in one single infested flea in the house on your shoe, clothing..if the cat eats it, bingo...It took a few injections to get rid of it...they break off and come out like rice but it moves, wriggles...best get to the vet to be sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats