Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times

Advertisements

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Best is a balanced raw diet

Second best is a wet (canned) food diet, high identified meat content, no grains, no fruits or vegetables, low carbohydrates.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Raw. No question.

Or decent canned food.

No need for kibble but if you must, use a high quality grain-free kibble and supplement it with some canned or raw on a daily basis.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Thanks

I like Iams multiple cat. They see to tolerate it well.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
The neverending cat food topic...

www.catinfo.org

Stay away from kibble, if you possibly can. Some cats are "addicted" to it, and some folks have budgetary restrictions that require the less expensive kibble feeding...but in general it causes problems and should be avoided.

Raw is best but you have to follow a recipe, there is one on the website above. You can't just give normal raw meat, you have to have the nutrients found in bones and organs. You can either grind up bones and organs into the food you make, or buy supplements to add. Use a recipe from a reputable source, again see the link above.

If you don't have time for that (I don't)...feed canned food. Good luck finding canned that contains NO grains, vegetables, fruits, carrageenan, etc. Usually there is some kind of filler involved even if you spend a lot of money on "premium" canned. But it's still way better than dry food.

Avoid fish. Stick with poultry, and rabbit (if you can find it) primarily. Some cats handle the occasional beef and/or venison OK but we feed probably 80-90% chicken/turkey/duck varieties.

Had a conversation with 3 coworkers last week, where they insisted on the following notions, which I told them were incorrect:

a.) Cats puke, it's just normal.
b.) Dry food is fine. The vet recommends it. It's good for their teeth.
(Next time someone says that, ask them how clean their teeth feel after they eat a bunch of crunchy cookies or dry cereal with no milk.)

People will tell you they had cats live over 20 years on dry food, so it must be OK. Well...I've known 80-something year old humans who chain smoked unfiltered cigarettes their entire adult lives. That doesn't mean I'm going to start arguing that smoking is healthy. Sure...cats CAN live a long life on dry food. But there will always be perfectly AVOIDABLE health risks associated with it. But it's certainly better than starving, so if you can't afford better or you're feeding strays, well...do what you gotta do.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,917 times
I have 4 cats and I keep a large bowl of Purina naturals dry cat food at all times and feed em Friskies canned wet food once a day. I tried the more expensive wet stuff and they didn't like it. I find my one cat has a tendency to puke when she eats fish/salmon pate food but the other three chow down!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
The best wet foods are not available in regular grocery stores. Look for a specialty shop- not petsmart either. You may have to search around depending where you live. OK you can feed cheaper food and even dry and the cat will live but in the end you will pay the price with vet bills and shortened life span. Also I hope you are keeping kitty indoors only as being outdoors is too risky. Indoors only cats do just fine.

I feed my cats Royal Canin Rabbit. I get it from the vet as it is rx only. Oscar had a bad bout of IBD and I almost lost him. If I had continued with our regular food I'm sure I would have. My cats throw up hair balls and when I don't feed Oscar regularly - about every 2-3 hours during the day, he will barf.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,842 times
Your cheapest canned food is better than your best dry. Just sayin'.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Your cheapest canned food is better than your best dry. Just sayin'.
Yep. So I just get the best canned I can find wherever I happen to be able to shop. I'm willing to go a little out of my way to a Petsmart or Petco (I try and alternate for brand variety) but not willing to search out some tiny holistic animal feed store on the other side of town. Also not willing to order his food online. But I've found some stuff at these stores that, while not exactly PERFECT does seem pretty good.

Everyone has their limits. Everyone needs to do the best they can within those limits.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
For balanced raw look into TC Feline. You simply add meat and water and freeze portions and thaw as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats