Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:24 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

Well her right eye is fine but her left eye turned cloudy. We're now using the medication in that eye, but she refuses to take any more of that liquid antibiotic. She's starting to hide, shows fear of my husband as he restrains for her me, and when forced on her, she throws up the medication. She gags on it and we're afraid we'll get it in one of her lungs. She starts to fight like a hellcat to get away as soon as she's aware of what we're doing.

We're in the process of getting ready to spend a few days at the nearby lake. Callie sees the Vet again on Friday.

All this forcing medication on her is making her fearful, suspicious and has her hiding a good part of the time. This is not good. It's changing her happy personality to one of fearful suspicion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Poor baby!

When we had Nimbus on the liquid antibiotic, he only had to take about half a tiny dropper of it per dose, so I took a small spoonful of canned food and mixed it in real good and he ate that while I watched. When he finished it I would give him the rest of his meal. I was so glad this worked, because trying to restrain and dose him with the medicine was horribly traumatic! But somehow he had no problem with being restrained for his eye ointment. Stuff in the eyes, fine...but stay away from his mouth!

He is a little less upset by my efforts to brush his teeth, but he still hates that too. I wish I could hide a toothbrush in his food LOL...

I hope your kitty gets all better, physically and emotionally. *hugs*

Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
How about asking the vet if there is an antibiotic that will do the job that comes in a pill form that she could take instead?

I know its hard.....but you must remember.....when this is all over, Callie will forgive you and turn back into her old self eventually.

My vet always tells me: "They are very forgiving."

Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Checking on antibiotics in pill form is a god idea. More positive thoughts for you and poor Callie!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Oh, I have been where you are - and it isn't a good place to be. I always ask my vet if there is a shot that can be given (they are usually long-term acting) which immediately gets where it needs to be and start the healing, and relieves me of the stalking-snatching-dosing-feeling bad episodes that occur. I have had the same response to the Clindamyacin - the refusal and vomiting - and I just gave it up and talked to the vet again. There has to be something to substitute for it - and since she's already been on it for so long, is there not enough in her system now to fight off the second eye inflammation? She will come back around (the good news), but it may take her a little time. Her pride is wounded right now - but I'm pretty sure she still loves you!!!!! Good luck - looking forward to next update.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I hear ya on the forcing of meds (and in my case food) that makes the cat run away. That's why I kept working at finding non-forcible ways of medicating Amber. After she gave up on pill pockets and then during this recent round has given up on liquids that she used to like to drink, I dug around to find something else. What I found was the My Little Lion soft treats are just soft enough to form around a small pill, though crumbly so it's tricky. But she is eating them like crazy so it's working well. Not the best stuff in there but I just can't care about that at the moment.

So basically yes I would add to the chorus of those suggesting perhaps trying the pill form of the meds assuming there is one (or some other form if not; if it must be liquid see if you can have compounded with flavoring) and hope that you can restore some of Callie's earlier personality. Hang in there.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Oh, poor little baby. Healing vibes heading your way.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Poor baby!

When we had Nimbus on the liquid antibiotic, he only had to take about half a tiny dropper of it per dose, so I took a small spoonful of canned food and mixed it in real good and he ate that while I watched. When he finished it I would give him the rest of his meal. I was so glad this worked, because trying to restrain and dose him with the medicine was horribly traumatic! But somehow he had no problem with being restrained for his eye ointment. Stuff in the eyes, fine...but stay away from his mouth!
Callie doesn't want anything in her eyes. She's getting more frantic every day and putting up more of a fight. She doesn't try to bite, but scratches us in her struggles to escape. Yes, her claws are clipped. She's very good about that. This med she's on has an odor so would be impossible to hide in her food.

Quote:
He is a little less upset by my efforts to brush his teeth, but he still hates that too. I wish I could hide a toothbrush in his food LOL...
So far, knock on wood, all 4 have nice white teeth. Will your cat eat stuff liker raw chicken gizzards? I believe all the gizzard chewing is what's keeping my cat's teeth clean. And they get very little kibble.

Quote:
I hope your kitty gets all better, physically and emotionally. *hugs*
At this point we're as concerned for her emotional health as we are her eyes. It's clear she considers it some kind of "torture" and there is no way to make her understand it's for her own good. Our other real concern is what's causing this. What's behind it. The Vet said last time we saw her that in many cases, no one knows. We don't believe she has some disease behind it because she eats so well, is growing normally, has a beautiful sleek glistening coat and normal urine and feces. She started to relax enough to play once we stopped the liquid antibiotics. But the worry is... we don't know what's behind this.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I hear ya on the forcing of meds (and in my case food) that makes the cat run away. That's why I kept working at finding non-forcible ways of medicating Amber. After she gave up on pill pockets and then during this recent round has given up on liquids that she used to like to drink, I dug around to find something else. What I found was the My Little Lion soft treats are just soft enough to form around a small pill, though crumbly so it's tricky. But she is eating them like crazy so it's working well. Not the best stuff in there but I just can't care about that at the moment.

So basically yes I would add to the chorus of those suggesting perhaps trying the pill form of the meds assuming there is one (or some other form if not; if it must be liquid see if you can have compounded with flavoring) and hope that you can restore some of Callie's earlier personality. Hang in there.
Good idea.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

That's Greg. When we see the vet tomorrow I'll ask about getting the medication into her some other way. Or to add flavoring of some kind. It's a gross tasting med and smells bad as well. We did get it into her this morning but she choked and gagged and tried to bring it up. I'm not going to try again. With all the struggling she does now I fear inhalation pneumonia. I don't know if she did get it up because she went and hid for awhile. We did get the drops in her eye. Her eye looks about the same as yesterday. The other eye stayed clear - so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats