U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 47,192 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I went into the bathroom and found my male cat (13) sitting in his covered litter box. He was just chillin' out - seemed fine - but, in all my years of owning cats (he is now the only cat in our house, but I had 6 at one point) - I have never seen any of them do this.

He snuggles with you, purrs when you pat him, overall, seems quite normal aside from this.

Should I worry?

Thanks,
Stefani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,129,400 times
I've been finding mine sometimes sitting near litter box, haven't been able to tell for sure if it's anything to do with litter box or just other stuff. I sometimes see her move just a few feet then lie down again, so it could be fatigue or other physical symptoms with what she has going on, which is kidney disease.

Anyway, point being I was reading up on this some recently. Lying in litter box is a sign of various things. We can presumably rule out the multiple cat issues at this point, so there's a chance it's because of a urinary tract infection or other related issues. So it would be worth talking to the vet most likely and trying to watch for other signs of such things (straining to urinate, inappropriate urinating outside the box, etc). A male cat can fully block which is a serious emergency so make sure he IS urinating and if not you need to take care of that NOW.

Sometimes they lie in the litter box for comfort and familiar smell and such, but this doesn't seem likely in his own house. This happens in shelters and hospitals where the litter box is often effectively the only thing that is comforting. In your case I think you should look to rule out a medical problem, or treat it if there is one. Definitely don't just ignore it.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM

7,201 posts, read 10,972,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman2013 View Post
Hi,
I went into the bathroom and found my male cat (13) sitting in his covered litter box. He was just chillin' out - seemed fine - but, in all my years of owning cats (he is now the only cat in our house, but I had 6 at one point) - I have never seen any of them do this.

He snuggles with you, purrs when you pat him, overall, seems quite normal aside from this.

Should I worry?

Thanks,
Stefani
What about at other times? Is he acting differently? Cats can and do go senile. Most will not chill out in a litter box. How about you get him a nice clean carton from the store to hang out in? Or a cat-condo from the pet store?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM

1,988 posts, read 3,037,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Sometimes they lie in the litter box for comfort and familiar smell and such, but this doesn't seem likely in his own house. This happens in shelters and hospitals where the litter box is often effectively the only thing that is comforting. In your case I think you should look to rule out a medical problem, or treat it if there is one. Definitely don't just ignore it.
I could tell Alfredo wasn't/isn't well. He has also started laying down in a litter box once a week or so.

I, too, would look for a medical problem. Consider that depression can be a medical problem. Is he grieving for another cat that is no longer part of his life/routine?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 PM

508 posts, read 663,836 times
In all my years having cats,I have only had one do this and he ended up being VERY sick. I'm not saying this is the only reason,but I would consider it a red flag and make sure.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 47,192 times
The only thing I can think of is that my daughter (7) picked him up (when she was not supposed to) and he scratched her (I assume because she either was hurting him --- he's quite rotund --- or he was trying to get away because he was scared). She's usually really good with him, but she wanted to help him get up on the counter. Lesson learned on that one for sure....but I wonder if he's now stressed out or something. She's been around him since and he's been totally fine - but that's the only thing out of the norm that I can think of.
I changed his litter box and will be monitoring it. He did have a blockage and is on a special diet - but his behavior is nowhere even close to what he was doing compared to when he had the blockage. He wasn't trying to go, just laying there. Oddly enough, not even 10 feet from the litter box (across the room) is a nice comfy kitty bed that he sleeps in usually all the time....not sure why he's not in that. If I see him do it again, we're off to the vet pronto. I'll definitely be keeping a super close eye on him. Maybe it was a fluke....a one time thing.

Thank you everyone. If anything at all seems amiss, rest assured - he will go to the vet pronto.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM

5,733 posts, read 11,226,360 times
Since this is new behavior, absolutely he could be sick. Given his age, health history, and being overweight I advise you get him to the vet for blood work tomorrow.

Cats are the masters of hiding illness. By they time they start to show something is wrong, such is sitting in a litter box, they usually have been ill for a while. Kidney disease is my first thought, but given he is on a "special" diet (those diets are very high in carbs, especially if you are feeding the dry), and is overweight, diabetes is a very close second guess.

Welcome to the forum, and do please get your boy to the vet for bloodwork tomorrow. Don't wait until he shows other symptoms.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM

12,596 posts, read 23,170,083 times
Both of mine will lay in the litter box after I clean it out. Neither of them are sick, and I just make them get out of it.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,702,673 times
Years ago I had a cat that liked to sleep in the clean litter box, till one of the other cats pi**ed on him.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM

5,733 posts, read 11,226,360 times
For some cats it is normal behavior. For a senior cat who has never done it before it indicates illness, and a check up with blood work and a urinalysis is warranted. The sooner, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats