U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 AM

5,828 posts, read 4,451,310 times
Catsmom, is Stella & Chewy's a powder, or is it pieces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,977,513 times
It depends on the size you buy. The single serving sizes, so I've been told, are ...I wouldn't call it powder exactly, more like fluffy flakes. The 12 oz bags (what I buy) are little nuggets. Even though it all breaks down to the same consistency once it's re-hydrated, I have only one cat who will eat the S&C in it's flake/powder form. ( Some inevitably breaks down in the larger bags.)

I prefer the nuggets for another reason too, it's easier to know how much I am feeding.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 AM

My cats all like pate style food, so I'm thinking they wouldn't like the nuggets. I did try some honest kitchen, which is a powder, and one of them ate maybe one teaspoon of it. The others just walked away, and never went back. They are all as likely as not to walk away from meat that they like, even tuna, so I don't have very high hopes of ever getting them off their diet of Fancy Feast Classic and Before Grain kibble. I haven't yet found another canned food they'll eat. Sorry for the thread drift!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,977,513 times
The food doesn't stay nuggets. When you put the water into it, they absorb the water, then you mash it down and it has the same texture of any pate food, with the exception of the tiny bits of bone.

To start it looks like this:

Once it has soaked up the water and stirred/mashed up

Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM

Aha! That could work after all! (Hope springs eternal) Thanks!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 AM

9,872 posts, read 8,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Perhaps they're sold to specialty stores or restaurants. They're not in the local meat counters. Last time I couldn't even find liver! I wish we had butcher shops here like back in NYC. All the meats come to the grocery stores already packaged. And the only ones I can get almost anywhere are chicken gizzards and turkey hearts - not organic.
How far are you from any of the larger cities in TN (or across state border if that would be closer)? Do you ever go there to shop for anything else? That might be one way to source meats that you can't get locally, a trip once every so often.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM

1,043 posts, read 613,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Do you add your own organ meat to the mix or it comes with organs mixed in? Only one of our cats will eat chunks. I have to cut the meat in bite size pieces or they drag it around the house, chew on them and leave them somewhere. We have not one but TWO new Asian stores in a nearby town. Now if I can only find the time to drive down there and check them out..... right now we're down at the lake for a week.
No, the "chubs" I buy are muscle meat/bones/liver/other organs all ground together. It all looks like ground meat with flecks of bone throughout, and it includes the organs ground up. Can't really differentiate between them and the muscle meat. I have the same problem with chunks, whenever I've given them as treats. They do eat them, but they drag them all around the house, and I don't want to deal with that because of the bacteria. So I stick to the ground raw foods.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM

6,377 posts, read 4,404,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Keep in mind that gizzards and hearts are not considered organs in raw feeding, they are muscle meat and must be balanced with bone or calcium as such, along with the secreting organs.
I realize it's a muscle meat but I've searched all but those Asian stores for organ meat and no stores here carry them. All I may find is liver. Some don't even have that anymore. I was told more than once there is no market for them here where I live in TN. The cost of organ meats online, plus the S&H costs put them out of reach. It would almost triple the cost of feeding the 4 cats to buy any kind of meat for them online.

Quote:
I buy the chicken liver in the grocery store. I don't have access to any other organ, so they get only liver in their prey model raw meal portions. I have looked into powdered organ supplements to add organ variety but am still on the fence about using them. I buy all their meat for prey model meals at the grocery store.

You raise valid concerns about toxins that may have filtered through the livers of the chickens, but since I have to choose what to worry about, I would worry more about feeding commercial highly processed pet foods, what goes into most of them is worse than any raw chicken livers bought at the grocery store.

I do feed some canned foods still, but the raw foods my cats eat are prey model, with some bone, some egg shell calcium, Stella&Chewy's freeze dried (re-hydrated) and Rad Cat frozen raw (ground food)
Good info, thanks.... I'm hoping to find something for the cats at the new Asian stores. I'll settle for any organ meats they may have. PetsMart used to carry a vitamin-mineral supplement for cats but no longer does. All the stores carry ground chicken, pork, beef and turkey. I have bone meal for cats and dogs. I may be able to do more with them, liver and add the supplement to make it balanced.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
No, the "chubs" I buy are muscle meat/bones/liver/other organs all ground together. It all looks like ground meat with flecks of bone throughout, and it includes the organs ground up. Can't really differentiate between them and the muscle meat. I have the same problem with chunks, whenever I've given them as treats. They do eat them, but they drag them all around the house, and I don't want to deal with that because of the bacteria. So I stick to the ground raw foods.
I'm going to try and do something with the ground meats I have access to at the local stores. I may have to buy a grinder and grind my own bone from chicken necks and backs. I saw grinders at Bass Pro Shops.

Or I may buy those whole little chickens at the grocery and grind the entire bird... and add liver and some kidney if I can find it, plus a supplement. It seems almost anything would be better than what's in the commercial cat foods.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
How far are you from any of the larger cities in TN (or across state border if that would be closer)? Do you ever go there to shop for anything else? That might be one way to source meats that you can't get locally, a trip once every so often.
The largest city is Nashville about 30 miles away. We almost never go there due to the heavy traffic and higher taxes on everything. That's downtown. Outer neighborhoods are OK. Nashville has the same stores we have here,.. Publix, Kroger, WalMart etc. They all carry the same thing. There's another city only 15 miles away but they too have the same stores with the same products. I wish we had butchers here or Butcher Shops like those in NYC. But those places can't survive the competition from those larger stores. See below, I'm seriously thinking of buying a grinder or finding a way to use the ground meat from the grocery stores.

When we had a large Mexican population here the stores carried organ meats like sweet-breads, kidneys, different types of liver, things that I had no idea what they were.... but the poor economy drove them all away and the stores stopped carrying those meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats