U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 PM

865 posts, read 1,552,744 times

Advertisements

Mara, my 2 year old DSH, is a pretty playful cat.

Usually when I get home from work, I play with her for 20 minutes (well, have her chase the string around) until she gets tired and decides to be done. Then I let her catch and kill it and we're good.

Then, around bed time, we play again for another 20 minutes. This stops her from doing laps around the apartment after I go to bed ... and stops her from eating, running, puking, eating ,running ... etc.

Seems like this last week, she REALLY wants to play. She wants to play in the morning before work (i've started getting up a bit earlier to give her the time she needs). She wants to play at least 3 times after work ... then at midnight she starts letting out these death meows.

When I go to see what's wrong, she has her string in her mouth and is in the 'i want to play' stance.

I really don't mind at all - As long as she wants to play, I'm in!

Is it normal for activity levels to suddenly spike like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 12,536,051 times
Yes, activity fluctuation is totally normal. So glad you are paying attention to her needs so well! That makes a happy well adjusted kitty.

By the way the death yowls in the middle of the night while carrying her string, is especially normal. She's not asking you to get up and play, she is entertaining herself, by hunting and carrying her prey around, making unearthly sounds. Many cats do this and you are not required to participate. Simply roll over and go back to sleep in the happy knowledge that Mara is a happy healthy girl.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,545,942 times
I have seen this with my three cats. Also fluctuations in demands for attention seem to be common.. and sometimes they all three seem to get super "pet me" needy at the same exact time! argh!

In addition, I see a spike in playfulness that seems to correlate with weather changes, but I don't know if that's scientifically sound or I am imagining it. A cold front hits and they all get a little wild, even though they are indoor-only cats.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM

865 posts, read 1,552,744 times
Glad it's normal! I got the cat for companionship and it's a two way street. I think it would be irresponsible if I neglected her when she wanted to pay.

The death yowling wakes me up and I think she's hurt. But if she is killing her "prey" that's fine by me! She won't play with any toys but a yarn ball with a string.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM

22,562 posts, read 16,711,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Glad it's normal! I got the cat for companionship and it's a two way street. I think it would be irresponsible if I neglected her when she wanted to pay.

The death yowling wakes me up and I think she's hurt. But if she is killing her "prey" that's fine by me! She won't play with any toys but a yarn ball with a string.
How wonderful it would be if all pet owners thought this way. Isn't that WHY we got them?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,883 times
I have a 10 year old hemilayan cat. She was always skittish and never enjoyed toys or playing. She was only interested in being petted like all the time. Suddenly she has this energy and playfulness all the time, which is so great to see. I'm just confused with her age and this sudden behavior like she's a kitten or maybe found a stashed bag of cat nip. the only different thing that has happened is we sadly lost our other kitty about 4 months ago. He was 14 and had mouth cancer on top of other medical problems. Since then, maybe I have given her more attention then I had before out of feeling sad for her. Also my passed on kitty always slept with me and now she does. Maybe she is just happy at all the attention she gets, not like she was really lacking any before.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:02 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,044,110 times
I have noticed that when the days are lighter longer, the cats play more. It is excellent that you are playing with her! It is good bonding time (and fun, I love playing with our cats).

Do you have a window perch or something she can do without you (watch birds, etc)? A tall cat tree? More options is better, especially for a young cat.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,032,941 times
Have lots of toys around and play with her every day. She's very young, so she should be chasing lots of bugs, lids, balls, etc. Agree with having some windows available where she can see outside. They love the stimulation.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 12,536,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jueljo81 View Post
I have a 10 year old hemilayan cat. She was always skittish and never enjoyed toys or playing. She was only interested in being petted like all the time. Suddenly she has this energy and playfulness all the time, which is so great to see. I'm just confused with her age and this sudden behavior like she's a kitten or maybe found a stashed bag of cat nip. the only different thing that has happened is we sadly lost our other kitty about 4 months ago. He was 14 and had mouth cancer on top of other medical problems. Since then, maybe I have given her more attention then I had before out of feeling sad for her. Also my passed on kitty always slept with me and now she does. Maybe she is just happy at all the attention she gets, not like she was really lacking any before.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved boy.

It's not uncommon for a cat to suddenly blossom out when another cat is gone. Your boy may have been the stronger personality of the two, and now she has a chance to let hers really shine.

Were they bonded? Did she grieve?

I think her new things she's found to do sound lovely, but I will suggest one thing. Even if she didn't appear to be affected, any change can cause stress in a cat, so a check up would be a good thing. have her blood work done and a urinalysis.. She's due for a senior panel at 10 years old (I start at 8) and make sure the vet checks thyorid. Sudden increase in activity can be one indication of hyperthyroid.

Probably all is well, but it's good to rule things out and have a baseline for what's normal for her as she ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or