U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,386,959 times

Advertisements

He came running from the back window into the guest bedroom doing some crazy meow over and over and very loud.

I have seen him do this before and I think he is seeing that stray cat out back.

It looks like he did it once before.

He has a history of peeing on his first owners diaper pail when they had their twins.

I am not sure how to keep this cat out of our yards to try and deter her from coming in and KK from marking his territory.

This is this first I know of him doing it but like I said, it looks like he did it at least once before.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 PM

1,975 posts, read 3,246,314 times
You could try a motion activated sprinkler or maybe one of those CatScat things? I know Jaxson Galaxy from MCFH show has used deterrents. I just can't remember exactly what he did.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
You could try a motion activated sprinkler or maybe one of those CatScat things? I know Jaxson Galaxy from MCFH show has used deterrents. I just can't remember exactly what he did.
He has used a noise thing and sprinkler, I have seen that. Might keep the neighbor kids out of the yard too!

I closed the vertical blinds to the deck and the door to the room he always runs back to, which is his room with his little kitty perch. I feel bad. =(

He was trying to peek through the blinds last night after I closed them. I know the cat that is coming around. She is so bold as to sit right on our front porch. I guess he met his limit of her.....

SO was upset over it, but I guess he will get over it, he watches Jackson Galaxy too and it is obvious what is going on. We just have to fix it. I started off by closing everything. I hate to have to do that because he loves looking out at the birds and everything. So do I!

I guess that will do for now until we get the cat away.

We are going out of town so I hate to have him windowless but he does still have the front bay window. I am thinking I will keep the bedrooms closed off while we are gone.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,165,248 times
I think a sprinkler may take care of your problem, or at least make the cat's visits less frequent. Just to be on the safe side, you could get a good mattress cover and lay it OVER the bedspread for those times when poor Kitty Katty gets traumatized, then remove it and close the door to the room when you want things looking nice.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
If the cat is visiting specific spots in your yard to use as a litter box, you can deter it by putting holly leaves in that area. It won't like pricking its feet on the pointy and will find another yard to use for its litter box. If you can't find holly, rose bush clippings or any type of thorny plant will do. If you use a plant that has thorns on the stems (instead of prickly leaves like the holly), cut up the stems small enough that you can sprinkle them around everywhere so the cat can't tiptoe around to avoid them.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,039,744 times
Fang is traumatized. Get some meds and sedate him.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM

484 posts, read 615,047 times
We have this territorial issue with Camille. Usually at night when its quieter - and the neighborhood cats feel safe enough to roam around. Camille sees one in her territory and goes mental (and sprays). We have mostly solved this problem by closing the blinds once its dark out, and only letting her out on the patio once people are up and driving around. Sad though, as I would love for her to be able to see out and go out when she pleases, but its too stressful for her & us when she freaks out (and she doesn't seem to mind anyway).

Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,595,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
He came running from the back window into the guest bedroom doing some crazy meow over and over and very loud.

I have seen him do this before and I think he is seeing that stray cat out back.

It looks like he did it once before.

He has a history of peeing on his first owners diaper pail when they had their twins.

I am not sure how to keep this cat out of our yards to try and deter her from coming in and KK from marking his territory.

This is this first I know of him doing it but like I said, it looks like he did it at least once before.

Any ideas?

Hi Pik....I know how frustrated you are right now - we have had the same thing happen to us over the years - and I still have strays coming up onto the deck at our house now. I am attaching a link with some ideas that may help: Cat Repellent - How To Keep Cats Away From Your Yard
For the inside you may have some luck with a Feliway diffuser - just plug it in nearby where KK likes to spend most of his time. If he sees something that upsets him it may calm him down a bit. I have tried the essences you can buy and my cats refuse to drink the water (you put in in the water source and they lap it up). It has a vinegar smell to it and I think they don't like that. I have seen some stuff you can buy and sprinkle around your house exterior to keep cats away. I have read that hair cuttings work (?) as well as sprinkling your own cats poo around the exterior of the house - it would let another cat know this territory has already been claimed. In the interim, I would put mattress pads on my beds and clean the mess up immediately. Hopefully the mattress is OK. Worst case scenario - call the humane society and let them come and trap the cat and take it away. There is no reason why you guys and KK should be captive in your own home. It's not fair to any of you. I'm sure KK is not doing it to be spiteful - it is just his way of letting you know how upset he is. I would probably also hold off on getting him a housemate at this time if he is so stressed out over the outside kitty. Hope SOMETHING works!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM

484 posts, read 615,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
... There is no reason why you guys and KK should be captive in your own home. It's not fair to any of you.
This is how I felt at the start. Very upset that I am a responsible pet owner who protects my cats, and keeps them from annoying other people, but aside from calling the HOA regarding the outdoor kitties (there are 3) there isn't much I can do. Closing the blinds when it's quiet out has just become part of our routine.

I hope the OP can find some coping method, because it is very distressing.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Well he hasn't used his litterbox since yesterday. My poor kitty. The vet wants me to put him in the bathroom and try to have me get a urine sample, so I have introduced the new little box to him..... The urine smell did not come out of the bedding so bought this enzyme stuff at PetsMart.

Does anyone know how I go about using that in the washer? KK is sitting with me right now and his fur is stinky.

Poor kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats