Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:23 PM

24 posts, read 59,101 times

Advertisements

So our cat jumped/fell off our second floor balcony a few days ago and I am at my wits end as to how to get him back. I could use the collective cat wisdom of this forum!

He's a timid cat who lived outside for the first 7 months or so of his life. I feel like he reverts back to feralness when he gets freaked out.
When he fell off the balcony, we made the mistake of chasing him, so of course he made lighning speed over to some bushes. We tried to get him again, and he ran down a storm drain and that's the last we've seen of him.
We live in an apartment complex with a very tangled mess of bushes right behind our place and a couple acres of undeveloped land behind it.
We've searched the area as much as possible calling for him and shaking his treat bag. Of course, we've papered the area with lost posters. We've also got food out in the bushes by our door and some old litter out there. But we can't seem to attract him back, or at least we don't know it. We got a live trap the first night but only caught a racoon and a squirrel.

So the main point is: do you guys know anything else we can try? Aything that has worked for you in the past? Ay happy-ending stories would also be appriecated as we're getting a bit down about our chances of getting the little guy back. Our other cat has been watching out the windows for him to come back, and it's just heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
So sorry to hear about your kitty! Mine have taken an unscheduled romp in the outdoors and you have done everything I can think of to get him back. O, except I put an ad in the local paper the first time because she was gone for several days. Don't give up... those posters do help, too.

Yes, I have always gotten mine back. Let's see if I can remember how many. First one was an outdoor cat (before I knew better) and just didn't come back one day. I put an ad in the paper with my phone number and some people had adopted her because she found them and wouldn't leave. I suspect she just got lost.

That same cat was missing a few years later and I took her treats to shake and walked around the whole neighborhood calling her name. After the first round, I got home and heard her meowing from a nearby tree, about 20 feet up! From the looks of things, she must have been chased up there and was too afraid to come down. Spent the night on a branch!!

The cat I have now got out one day while I was bringing in groceries and was gone for a day or two. Got the posters up and put one on my mailbox. The neighbors called and said he had appeared on their back porch, which looks like mine, and they had him cornered until I got there.

I so hope you get yours back. Probably your more intense searches should be the early ones but make a habit of being out of doors more than usual in case she's still nearby.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Put out a used article of clothing or blanket - something that smells like you or him. Scent can help cats find their way home.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Can you just sit outside and have some food with you? Maybe read a book and just sit there. If he is timid that may get him to come out and walk up to you so you can catch him without chasing him.

You may get other cats that why though, LOL. My friend's hubby had 2 feral cats come on his property out in the country and that is how he tamed them and got them to come inside and now they live with them happily inside the house.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleKu View Post
So our cat jumped/fell off our second floor balcony a few days ago and I am at my wits end as to how to get him back. I could use the collective cat wisdom of this forum!
Please know that that can be called "highrise syndrome." You can't leave cats on balconies that are not screened in some way. And you can't allow them to lay on windowsills when there is no screens in the window. Many fall or jump and are killed or so badly injured the owner can't afford the vet care to save them.

Quote:
He's a timid cat who lived outside for the first 7 months or so of his life. I feel like he reverts back to feralness when he gets freaked out.
When he fell off the balcony, we made the mistake of chasing him, so of course he made lighning speed over to some bushes. We tried to get him again, and he ran down a storm drain and that's the last we've seen of him.
Before you find him or get another cat - please have that balcony screened in or do not allow the cat out there again.

Quote:
So the main point is: do you guys know anything else we can try? Aything that has worked for you in the past? Ay happy-ending stories would also be appriecated as we're getting a bit down about our chances of getting the little guy back. Our other cat has been watching out the windows for him to come back, and it's just heartbreaking.
I hope you get him back. Call your local shelters and provide them with a picture of him. That will help in case someone brings him there. Many people read Craigslist also, so put an ad there (FREE) with a picture of him in the Pet section.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 PM

38 posts, read 94,338 times
Mine fell from the 2nd floor window with screen. The screen was broken. She was mad at another cat. I immediately started searching for her. With friends' help we trapped her under a close car around 2 AM. She had hurt legs. She's indoor so the surroundings scared her too.

Usually they do not go far if they do not know surroundings. But with time they can get more confident and enlarge their circles.

My heart goes with you and I hope you can find him very soon.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 AM

24 posts, read 59,101 times
Thank you all for the help and happy ending stories! I've been checking this but haven't had time to post back.

We found the little guy yesterday! A neighbor saw him chase a bird into a bush and gave us a call. Our posters worked! I was able to pull him out of a bush, and he is safely home. He was thirsty and really tired, but overall doesn't seem nearly as traumatized as we are.

He will not be hanging out on the porch with us anymore. It's not worth this!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM

149 posts, read 256,775 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the help and happy ending stories! I've been checking this but haven't had time to post back.

We found the little guy yesterday! A neighbor saw him chase a bird into a bush and gave us a call. Our posters worked! I was able to pull him out of a bush, and he is safely home. He was thirsty and really tired, but overall doesn't seem nearly as traumatized as we are.

You also need to get him into the Vet if you haven't already just to make sure nothing is broke and he is healthy, He may need a vacine specially since he was out doors Rabies, and feline leukemia shots to make sure he doesn't get sick down the road.

so glad you got him back

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
I'm so glad you found him - that you got him back. You can get, if you don't want to screen in your porch or balcony, a harness and leash for him. Keep him on the leash when out there. People can and do screen in these balconies all the time. You may want to look into that.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM

38 posts, read 94,338 times
Quote:

I'm so happy for you and him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats