U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,352,869 times

Advertisements

So last night we had a tornado (or several) touch down; apparently it went right over my neighborhood and then hit the ground about a half-mile away.

Beecher: Suspected tornado rips through 5 block area | MLive.com

In the midst of the storm, I heard a loud frantic meowing. Went out to my driveway to find a strange female cat crouched under my van, and just out of reach, a newborn kitten yowling its head off. I was on my belly in mud trying to reach it but the mama eventually grabbed it and took off. I care for ferals and have insulated cat shelters on the wooded part of my property. She took the kitten there. Late last night she was still there with it in a shelter and it was warm and active.

This morning mama cat was out waiting for food so I went to check on solo kitten while she was eating...still there, still warm and squirming around so I figure active, warm, squirming....OK she is taking care of it.

After work I check again...kitten gone from shelter, but mama did show up to eat. She is a small calico.

Now I am worried. Is this a young mama cat who got freaked by the weather but then rallied and got the kitten to a safe place? Did she just move it again to a better place? Could she have freaked so much she killed it, or could it have been killed by one of the other cats?

I know nobody here has answers but educated guesses are fine. I'm just sort of worried. I didn't see where mama went after she showed up to eat tonight; she is very wild. Part of me wants to just let nature take its course and part wants to make sure the baby is OK.

(And yes, this mama cat will be trapped and spayed if she continues to be around!)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM

6,184 posts, read 12,617,041 times
Hopefully she just moved the little one. Instinct is a powerful thing. I wouldn't be surprised if she brings baby back again in a few days.

You're an Angel. xx

Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,890,672 times
I agree with Catsmom21. Cats will move their kittens around to the safest places they can find. One day a few weeks from now she may show up with that kitten in tow, teaching it where to get food.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 AM

I hope you guys are right! Little Ms Calico was out with the other cats waiting for food this morning. I'll check the cat shelters again to see if she moved the little one back.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,666,568 times
We have a somewhat similar situation here, though the babies are not on my property and, afaik, never were. Young lactating cat hanging around all the time. I feed her along with the others (we have four ferals that I feed on our patio), but even when the others leave for the day, she's often still hanging around. No idea where the babies could be. They must be about three weeks old now. If she's here so much, I wonder if maybe they died. The lady at the cat coalition (we do TNR but didn't do this kitty yet) said that she might have them somewhere very close to our house and I'm just not hearing/seeing them.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Hi Whimsey, hopefully those kittens are OK.
I'm also not sure about Ms Calico, she's been loitering around for over an hour now. I checked the cat shelters again but they're empty.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM

3,363 posts, read 2,700,024 times
Not sure if you can see under her, but try to keep an eye on her teats. If they are swelling and hard looking, she may have lost the kitten to whatever dangers lurk out there. If she does look swollen and un-nursed, you probably should try to capture her and get her to the vet.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM

6,184 posts, read 12,617,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Not sure if you can see under her, but try to keep an eye on her teats. If they are swelling and hard looking, she may have lost the kitten to whatever dangers lurk out there. If she does look swollen and un-nursed, you probably should try to capture her and get her to the vet.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Yep thought about that...I cannot get close plus she's a little bit fluffy so it is hard to tell.

She was sitting near my house when I got home today from work with the other cats waiting to eat. She ate, and is now still hanging around grooming herself. It's been about an hour now.
In my experience nursing queens do need to eat a lot, but they usually eat, then go right back to their kittens. They spend as little time away from the litter as necessary.

At this point I am thinking she's abandoned the kitten and it is no longer alive. Damn.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM

3,363 posts, read 2,700,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yep thought about that...I cannot get close plus she's a little bit fluffy so it is hard to tell.

She was sitting near my house when I got home today from work with the other cats waiting to eat. She ate, and is now still hanging around grooming herself. It's been about an hour now.
In my experience nursing queens do need to eat a lot, but they usually eat, then go right back to their kittens. They spend as little time away from the litter as necessary.

At this point I am thinking she's abandoned the kitten and it is no longer alive. Damn.
Awww, that's too bad. That is what it sounds like. You had said you were planning to catch her at some point....maybe you should think about doing that now and get her to the vet for at least a check.

Poor kittie baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or