U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,707,143 times

Advertisements

My big boy, Orion is 11 and never had health problems except he was too big then suddenly my brother and I noticed he'd lost weight. A lot of weight. We could feel his bones. Huh. I weighed him and he was 'only' 14 lbs., he used to weigh about 17. He's a big guy, as large as a Maine Coon, though he looks more like a Norwegian Forest. No clue what he is, he came from the shelter weighing 13 ounces =D

Other than the weight loss he's been acting normal, eating, drinking and doing his usual Orion thing. The only change has been he's cuddling a little more. Odd. I took him to the vet today and was amazed to hear his canine tooth is loose and another needs to be removed. I just got him to finally eat canned cat food without putting it in the blender and thought this was some sort of breakthrough, never occurred to me he might have dental problems! Poor kitty!!

So, tomorrow he'll have his teeth extracted. I'm wondering if he'll be able to eat dry food after that? Has anyone else had a cat who's lost their front teeth??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 PM

6,145 posts, read 12,539,791 times
Since cats don't chew kibble, they can eat it with or without teeth. However, kibble is very bad for cats, and he will be much healthier on a canned diet, so please, just keep him on the canned food.

Three pounds in a short time is a very dangerous weight loss for a cat. I hope your vet has done blood work to ensure that Orion's organs are healthy. Special care with anesthesia might be needed, if his liver or kidneys are showing some reaction to the sudden weight loss, for example.

Good luck to him, keep us posted!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,300,843 times
Agree with catsmom.

I took in a middle-aged stray several years ago and he had bad gums and horrid teeth. He had seven! rotting teeth removed and after he healed up (that took a couple of weeks and the poor guy was not a happy camper) was still able to eat canned, kibble and raw.

Definitely make sure your vet does pre-op bloodwork on Orion prior to surgery. I am sure he'll be just fine, please post an update!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,597,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
My big boy, Orion is 11 and never had health problems except he was too big then suddenly my brother and I noticed he'd lost weight. A lot of weight. We could feel his bones. Huh. I weighed him and he was 'only' 14 lbs., he used to weigh about 17. He's a big guy, as large as a Maine Coon, though he looks more like a Norwegian Forest. No clue what he is, he came from the shelter weighing 13 ounces =D

Other than the weight loss he's been acting normal, eating, drinking and doing his usual Orion thing. The only change has been he's cuddling a little more. Odd. I took him to the vet today and was amazed to hear his canine tooth is loose and another needs to be removed. I just got him to finally eat canned cat food without putting it in the blender and thought this was some sort of breakthrough, never occurred to me he might have dental problems! Poor kitty!!

So, tomorrow he'll have his teeth extracted. I'm wondering if he'll be able to eat dry food after that? Has anyone else had a cat who's lost their front teeth??

Oh yea.....we have 22 cats in our household (not a misprint - it is a longggg story!!) anyway, we have had several of our cats which have had dental problems and have had cleanings and dental surgeries. A few years ago just before New Years Eve, Tigger (big, fat, yellow, scardy cat) was sleeping soundly and awoke suddenly, racing through the house and crying in that awful painful key. I finally caught up with him and he was foaming and had some blood coming out of his mouth. His eyes were wild. We immediately took him to the emergency clinic where after examination and bloodwork - they discovered he had painful red gums, and one of his canine teeth was "bent" and he could not close his mouth. They were not equipped to do dental procedures, so they gave him an anti-biotic shot and pain meds to last till morning. His regular vet opened at 7AM and I was there with him by 7:15 - he needed a full dental, and long story short, he now has 1 tooth left in his little yellow head. He is still a big boy, still a scardy cat, eats anything that does not bite him first. Yes, he can and does eat dry food as well as wet food. He is one of several we have that only have a few teeth, and my Mr Smokey has no teeth left at all. He still eats dry as well as wet food. So, I will be wishing you and your Orion the best and thinking about him tomorrow. He may be a little groggy and sore for a while. You will probably be sent home with some pain meds and possibly antibiotics for a time, and he will be tender - but he will eventually be back to normal and start eating again. I would second the poster who suggested blood workup prior to the procedure - 11 is not old, but he is considered a senior. You will be increasing his quality of life tremendously. Good luck!!!!!

PS the canine teeth are long rooted and take longer to heal than the other, smaller teeth. You may need to take him back in to have his canine "pocket" checked to make sure it is healing, and there is nothing stuck in the hole that would cause infection or discomfort to him. Your vet should be very comfortable doing the extractions as this is a pretty routine thing.

Last edited by CFoulke; 06-03-2013 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 AM

970 posts, read 1,822,551 times
One of my cats had a canine and 2 other teeth extracted in January. Sometimes even with good dental care they can end up needing an extraction. She got bloodwork before the procedure, was monitored, and recovered just fine. Good luck to Orion!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 AM

6,145 posts, read 12,539,791 times
Thinking of Orion today!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,707,143 times
Well, work got crazy and I didn't get back here sorry! Thanks everyone for posting! Orion had his extractions and all went well. Our vet is THE BEST. He didn't know me from a post when Orion was a kitten and stung by something that caused his foreleg to swell and offered advice over the phone - and told me if it didn't help within 20 minutes to bring him in, without an appointment. His partner is just as caring, we're very fortunate =D

I tried EVERY canned cat food on the market when he was a kitten - he weighed all of 13 ounces when I got him but the snot wouldn't eat ANY of it. So, I had little choice but to give him kibble <sigh> He'll eat any kind, cheap junk to the ultra good, so I get what I think is best but honestly I'm never quite sure.

He's doing quite well now, gained some of the weight he lost. I'm amazed how quickly cats lose weight, it's scary indeed. He's been yowling at me just now to go to bed - he likes to sleep behind me and if I'm not in bed by 2AM - I work 2nd shift - he gets upset. =D

I finally found a canned cat food he'll tolerate, Sheba, but only one flavor and only pate. The other guys'll eat it as well so I am giving him that as well. I've even tried putting the food in the blender so it's liquified but even that doesn't seem to make much difference, he won't eat it.

It was quite a surprise to find his teeth loose and I'm grateful it was something that was easily addressed but feel terrible that I didn't think to look - although I'm unsure if he'd let me do that. Giving him the antibiotic was challenging but fortunately he's very gentle and never uses his claws when trying to wiggle away.

Thank you all again for your support, he's staring at me now so I guess it's time I went to bed, aha, here's Joe, my other guy wanting me to go to bed as well.

Laura

Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,300,843 times
Glad everything went well, thanks for the update!
There's several very informative threads here with instructions on how to reform a kibble addict...I'm sure some of the more well-informed posters will post links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or